GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks.....I’m following up on a thread posted by a fellow ?? Canadian on how to make detentioning tool. I made this tool quite a few years back (when he posted it)....but I finally had the occasion to use it this past week to do a valve clearance check on my 2012 Wing. The last post in the thread asked for pictures of it in use......here they are.
The upper picture shows the tool installed on the right side tension mechanism......the second picture shows how I was able to make room by moving and wiring the hose to the right of the tensioner and I also tucked the hose under the ABS module......this allowed just enough space to stick the tool into the tensioner and thread it in......it worked perfectly!
If you plan on making this tool....you can save yourself some bother by eliminating the small set screw that has to be drilled and tapped into the head of the bolt.
If you eliminate it.....you could simply attach a homeostat to the coin (disc) to keep it from detensioning (similar to what Fred does when holding the screw driver on the left side)
BTW......all my valves were within tolerance.....Yahoo!

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/17-how-step-step/191488-el-cheapo-cam-chain-detensioner-tool.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is my the tool that I built following the instructions of the original thread.......instead of a coin.....I used a slug from an electrical box.
You might have noticed a notch in the slug....I did this because the slug was against the head when I first tried to insert it into the tool when it was threaded into the tensioner.....the notch allowed it to easily be inserted. This tool works as advertised!

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
Is a "homeostat" still politically correct? We are going through an election here in Alberta and things are getting rather sensitive.

Reactions: apes115
1 - 3 of 3 Posts