GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks.....I just posted this on the How to Step by Step board.....but I thought I’d post it here as well.
There are so many great threads on that board and many other boards that don’t get seen by all the newbies......even when you do a search for a particular thread.....it’s often impossible to find a lot of these gems!

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/17-how-step-step/442511-cam-chain-detension-tool-update.html

This is a picture of the tool that I made......Instead of a coin.....I used a slug from an old electrical box.
I notched the disc to allow for an easier installation (the disc was too close to the adjacent cylinder head)
All in all...it worked very well!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
On the original design...you tighten the set screw when the tension is applied.......if you were to build one without the set screw.....you would simply clamp a homeostat onto the disc to keep it from unwinding!
The picture isn’t the best.....but if you look real close you’ll see the set screw that I drilled and tapped into the head of the bolt.....it works well.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I made one very similar to that. Works well. I used a hex bolt very carefully drilled for the screwdriver like thingy with a set screw to tighten once the tensioner was unwound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts