GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a newby, no doubt this is a dumb question. Or maybe it's been hashed out to infintium already...

Does anyone make "performance" cams for the GL1800. And if so, has anyone on here made the change?

Just looking at the service manual cd video, it doesn't look all that hard. Is that video misleading?

TIA

R

·
0 Posts
cams

Call CRANE CAMS IN DAYTONA, they use to grine your cams if possable.

·
Registered
759 Posts
after viewing the video on cam replacement, that is the slickest cam change out I have ever seen...minimal work. Wish earlier model cams were as easy when I was a motorcycle wrench. Would I grind my stock 1800 cams?...heck nooooooooooooooooooooooo....ummm...can you think of the magic word here?........Warranty!!!...if you grind..there goes your warranty...right out the window.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
>Warranty!!!...if you grind..there goes your warranty...right out the window.<

I would think that the warranty would be effected only if the cam change caused a failure of some sort. Wouldn't that be similar to adding a headlight modulator, or making other mods?

I'm not close to jumping in an start modifying a smooth running engine. But with all the discussion about top speed, horsepower, etc. I would have thought we'd have some good wrenches on here that has made what appears to be a simple modification.

It's surprising to me that there isn't a lot more aftermarket engine parts available with the large number of GL1800s out there. Don't get me wrong - the stated quarter mile time in the mags of 12.79 is good. But there's a ton of bikes (and cars) out there a lot quicker. And (not just trolling) this bike is a sport bike in a touring bike disquise - it handles!

Showroom stock gives us about 8.5 pounds per horse. A simple cam change could easily bring that down to 7.5 pounds per horse - which translates into a quarter mile times of about 11.5. Now that's right in there with all the pumped up Mustang Cobras, 'Vettes, etc. And it puts it out of reach of 90% of all V-Twins , all the while with the tunes playing and the light show glowing.

Am I in the wrong sandbox?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I like that sand box. :D That sounds like it rocks!!!! :shock: :22yikes: Or is it is a rock??? :p If it's a rock, it moved at the speed of sound!! :D :s27:

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Cams are just the beginning on this, you will need to do some head mods and dump the restrictive exhaust for something that flows more. Then the intake will need to be enlarged and the rpms will need to go higher. This isnt a problem as this bike has a timing chain not a belt. Talking mucho money here. Wish I had the bucks, this engine has a lot of potential.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts