GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello board, Are the shims 7.48 MM in dia.? And what should I expect to pay
per individual shim from local dealer? galewing

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't know about the diameter, but the thicknesses range from 1.200 - 2.800 mm in 0.025 mm increments. Hal's site lists them for $5.75 each.

·
Vendor
22,244 Posts
Yes, they are 7.5mm diameter shims. I like to use the Honda shims as they sell them in .025mm increments, as other brands may only come in .050mm increments.

.025mm translates to just about one thousandth of an inch, and so if your valves are tight by one thousandth you should just go down one shim size to bring them back to center. For example, if one of your intakes measures .005 instead of .006 and you find it has a shim stamped 202 on it, you can replace it with the next smaller size (200) and it should bring it back to .006 thousandth of an inch clearance.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
galewing said:
And what should I expect to pay
per individual shim from local dealer? galewing
I needed a few for my last adjustment and one dealer had some of the shims I needed, but not all so I ended up getting 5 from two dealers. One dealers cost was about $6.00 a shim and the other was closer to $8.00. A much better bet IMO would be to buy one of the Shim kits online that has several of each a variety of sizes. Usually the kits run about $80. (Includes three valve shims of each size from 1.20 to 3.50mm in .05mm increments. 141 shims in total. 57 cents per shim). While the kit may not have the "exact" size you need, you will probaby find it has what you need for anything needing a different size, plus you'll have it when you need it as opposed to having to drop what you are doing and going out to shop for some relatively expensive individual shims. My last shopping spree took several hours and was about a 50 mile drive to two dealers.

Here is an example:

http://www.procycle.us/hotcams/valve_shims.htm

DaleC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts