GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all and Happy Sunday. I have a question (actually two) on a possible deal for a bike but would love your opinions.
Its a 2002 Wing w/Traxxion suspension, CB, ABS and assorted Kuryakin pieces, Corbin seat, covers, windshield, etc. with about 12,000 miles. We are looking at a price of about $12,500. First question is he mentioned the bike had "cam work done" and the "ignition was remapped by a Honda racing team". I believe it was done by a former owner so he isn't too sure as to what was done but he said it was to make the throttle more responsive and to improve the torque. He said the bike runs faster and smoother because of this and requires no additional maintenace.Not being mechanically inclined (except for making my morning coffee), what do you think? Is this work normally done on a Wing? Is the price worth it? Thanks for advance and I'll let you know how it goes!
Harold (Florida)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Never heard of ANY racing mods out there for a 'Wing...but if there is
I WOULD NOT TOUCH THAT BIKE. If you had problems, who would fix it? A dealer wouldn't touch it I'm sure, as those mods (if true) have taken it out of factory spec.

Here's what I think he means (hopefully it's true), he just wanted to make it sound like more:

Cam work = valve adjustment done (normal maintenance) although it's normally done at 32K miles.

Ignition remapped = ECM replaced for overheating issue in that model year.

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong...only the seller knows for sure! :wink:

Without him claiming those mods though, that is an EXCELLENT price for a '02...but my olfactory senses detect a rodent somewhere!
:lol:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
JMHO: I'd RUN from that deal! No Wing should have had cam work done unless it was going to be used for other than normal street use...and 12000 miles is way too soon for a routine valve check. Deal sounds fishy, and the lack of information on what was actually done and by whom makes it even more suspect. There are too many Wings for sale out there that haven't been taken apart...don't mess with this one.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Rob(in S.C.) said:
Never heard of ANY racing mods out there for a 'Wing...but if there is
I WOULD NOT TOUCH THAT BIKE. If you had problems, who would fix it? A dealer wouldn't touch it I'm sure, as those mods (if true) have taken it out of factory spec.

Here's what I think he means (hopefully it's true), he just wanted to make it sound like more:

Cam work = valve adjustment done (normal maintenance) although it's normally done at 32K miles.

Ignition remapped = ECM replaced for overheating issue in that model year.

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong...only the seller knows for sure! :wink:

Without him claiming those mods though, that is an EXCELLENT price for a '02...but my olfactory senses detect a rodent somewhere!
:lol:
I agree with all of that but I am thinking the cam work may have been the defective head replacement that went along with that year model for the overheating campaign.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts