GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am confused . I want a compact camera around $500 for the home and one I can mount to a ram mount and do occasional motorcycle videos. Vibration. Will it affect those camcorders with harddrives? Which is the best format?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I chose the Sony 480 with digital8 tape. Under $400 so if a piece of road kill hits it and trashes it, it won't hurt so badly. :)

Good video and optics, tapes are fairly foolproof not being subject to vibration errors, and the camera has some nice features. It has a firewire port for connecting to a computer or DVD-recorder to put your video onto DVD without losing any quality. Tapes are reusable too, up to a point.

You can get RAM mounts for it to fit on the engine crash guard or the handlebars or wherever you can get a RAM ball.

Don't forget to get a UV filter whatever you get to protect that precious lens!

David M..

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Folks have reported problems with both the hard drive and DVD based type camcorders on the wing, ESPECIALLY the DVD type.

I'd go with MiniDV as they're common, tapes are easy to get and they are relatively inexpensive.

The slickest system is the one the Fred H. uses... a very durable lip-stick type camera (mounted under one of the mirrors or on your helmet) controlled by a pushbutton on the bars. It feeds the camcorder which is in the trunk and well cushioned.

Someone had the ENTIRE setup for sale in the classifieds a few months ago for about $650.

·
Registered
19,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I found my old Sony 8MM model CCD TR93 player and vs buying the new state of the art which will be outdated in 3 months, I mounted it with a RAM 1/4 male screw with plateform and 1" ball and used a 5 1/4 " long Ram arm connected to a 1" Ram ball that is where my GPS usually goes. I put in a tape turned it on and went for a ride. The video is pretty good, not great. I got a little glare through the windshield from my RTE silver meter panel. I will try it again with some black vinly covering the panel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts