GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am back to a Goldwing after deserting for 9 months! I have had Goldwings since 2002 and last year had a lapse in judgement and traded in my 1999 Goldwing for a Triumph Trophy SE. I admit that I was enamored by the power windshield and all the electronics it had to offer in addition to the 60 mpg at 70 mph. The down side was that it just was not as comfortable as my wings were. We tried Russell Daylong seats which allowed for 5 hour rides but it just was not the same. The clincher was when the temperature here in South Florida exceeded 90 degrees and the cockpit became unbearably hot at highway speeds. We picked up our 2014 ABS yesterday and rode about 500 miles since. I could hear my wife giggling through the Sena Bluetooth intercom as we rode away from the dealer. You know what they say; happy wife, happy life! We both tried to like the Trophy but realized that it was just not what we had become accustomed to with the Goldwing.
I have to tell you that the new Goldwings (the newest one I had was a 2002) are simply amazing. I realize that every group of bike owners have issues with their bikes but, truly, Honda has done an amazing job with this bike. I owned the Trophy for 9 months and have ridden the BMW 1600 but neither can match the overall performance of the wing. Believe me Honda is not the only motorcycle manufacturer that has issues, I participated in the Trophy Forum and monitored the 1600 forums and they have big issues to deal with as well.
I just wanted to say hi to everyone and let you all know how glad I am to be back here and back on a Red Goldwing.
Very best regards and maybe you will see me waving and smiling when we pass!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Rod Stewart fan ehh!?? :lol:
Welcome back to the wing, and yes red is still the fastest colour....

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
WELCOME BACK !!! BEST TOURING BIKE OUT THERE HANDS DOWN . NEEDS SOME UPGRADES IN ELECTRONIS BUT OVERALL NOTHING COMPARES :bow::bow::thumbup:THIS WEEK IS SMRI IN BRYSON CITY N.C. TAKE A RIDE !;)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Welcome back. Hope you have many pleasurable rides.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Some riders will leave and not come back because they found something that they really did like better. But many do come back.

The Goldwing is so understated at what it does that it is easy to take it for granted. Riders often don't find out until they try something else what they are missing.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Waitaminnit, you mean that the most modern electronics and gadgets aren't the "end-all be-all"?

You realize you just bought a 15 year old (or more) design, right?

Good move! :nojoke:
Imagine that. The old girl does have staying power, doesn't she? (despite what some would like us to believe)

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
welcome back! i am surprised i havent been tempted yet. after every ld ride i just love the wing even more:)

i think what joe dosxx said after their 50cc sums it up....what an awesome machine!

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Glad you're back and happy.

For 2up touring, I don't think anything else is even close.

There may be a few that compete pretty well for 1Up touring, but even then, the Wing is still an exceptional bike.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Waitaminnit, you mean that the most modern electronics and gadgets aren't the "end-all be-all"?

You realize you just bought a 15 year old (or more) design, right?

Good move! :nojoke:
How long have the designs on the Harleys been going on?

·
Registered
75 Posts
GL forever

Can't believe someone would trade in their Goldwing for something else. A friend of mine gave me a ride on the 2013 Harley Trike. He ask me how I liked it. I told him it reminded me of a diesel tractor, it shakes, shemmes and makes a lot of noise and I was glad to get off and get back on my Wing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts