GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I',m in the market for a bike mounted camera. What I want is something that will taake decent wide angle video mounted to the crash bars, be easy to set up, and here's the tough part.

I want ot be able to hit a button or control of some sort from the handle bars to turn it on or off. If I come across something interesting, I want ot be able to just film it without stopping and screwing around.

Is there anything that will allow me to do this?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody?

·
Registered
278 Posts
What is your budget? I wanted the same thing. I tried the GoPro but it didn't provide me with the remote start feature I wanted. Then I tried a Sony handy cam but found on some of the rougher roads I ended up with a error during filming so that was out. I looked at the chase cam set ups and they look sweet!!! But pretty rich for my blood so I settled back in with the GoPro's again.
Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just purchased a Drift camera. I have only had 3 days but it dose take good video(up to 1080P), bluetooth remote, can be powered from a USB charger.
It comes with a few different mounts. Note: the handle bar mount will not fit the crash bar.(it dose however fit the antenna) I am still exploring mounting options. ( it keeps me busy:lol:)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just purchased a Drift camera. I have only had 3 days but it dose take good video(up to 1080P), bluetooth remote, can be powered from a USB charger.
It comes with a few different mounts. Note: the handle bar mount will not fit the crash bar.(it dose however fit the antenna) I am still exploring mounting options. ( it keeps me busy:lol:)

PERFECT!!!!!:bow:

I'm ordering this one...

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Drift-X170-Action-Camera/dp/tech-data/B002VJAZ8K/ref=de_a_smtd[/ame]

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Nice. Looks like a good alternative to the Contour. I've been considering getting a 2nd Contour, the newest one, but this might be a better alternative for some mounting locations with the remote control. Could mount the Contour within arms reach, and have the Drift mounted somewhere "interesting" - like under the nose of the fairing or ??? :thumbup:

ETA: After reading a few reviews of the Drift HD170, I think I'll stay with the Contour.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reviews of the HD 170 seem to be either pretty good or biased. I say that because even the comments on the sites say they are biased. Sorry, but that does happen.

As for the HD thing. People are a bit obsesssed with HD.

This is a comparison chart of your common screen resolutions.

NTSC, which is what we all watched most of our lives is 720 * 480. 720p is 1280 * 720, and 1080 p or i is 1920 * 1080.

Though Youtube now offers higher resolutions including the vomit inspiring 4K, many of their videos are run at 320 * 240, and while the higher resolution is better, to a point, it's not always a musch better as everyone thinks.

Basically, it's kinda like mounting a $10,000 stereo on a goldwing. Awsome under the right conditions, but most of the time it's a waste because you can't tell the difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts