GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i stopped at cyclegadgets today, to grab some parts for my video camera mount

i picked up a ram ball with a camera screw to go into my sony, and a ram ball with a threaded stem to accept a 1/4 - 20 threaded screw $ 21

a 21 cent phillips head cap screw, 1/4 - 20 x 1/2 inch from the hardware store

and a 11 cent plastic washer so the camera doesnt touch the mount and rub

i drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the right res cover, run the screw through, threaded the ball on, with a little blue thread lock

the mount screws into the camera until nice and tight, the same mount also could be used for my cannon 35mm still camera

i had a 5 inch ram arm laying around

a lot cheaper than the $50 res cover with the ball attached

it looks just fine

·
Registered
602 Posts
Inquiring, yet feeble, minds wanna see...... how 'bout postin a pic -or- 2....

·
Registered
87 Posts

i picked up a ram ball with a camera screw to go into my sony, and a ram ball with a threaded stem to accept a 1/4 - 20 threaded screw $ 21

i drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the right res cover, run the screw through, threaded the ball on, with a little blue thread lock

the mount screws into the camera until nice and tight, the same mount also could be used for my cannon 35mm still camera

it looks just fine
I just this minute came back in from the garage after mounting a CycleGadgets camera mount on my new '09 Wing. I used their handlebar mount. It was only $12.50, and I didn't have to drill, or look for other parts. for me it was well worth the few extra dollars invested, especially since I didn't want to mount on the reservoir anyway. Can't wait to try it out.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just last weekend I installed a ram mount on my GL 1500 Trike. I have my gps and also a mount for my digicam....it was very stable but I found no matter how stable when the trike hits a bump the camera is going to shake along with the trike...got some pretty good footage though. Can't wait for the Kerrville Trike rally to get some footage in the hill country curves.

·
Registered
454 Posts
MY MOM ALWAYS TOLD ME TO USE MY HEAD SO I DID !!!

I ALSO HAVE A RAM MOUNT ON MY HANDLEBARS ON BOTH MY BIKES TO MOUNT CAMERAS ON

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ram camera mount

I tried the ram camera mount ( 3 pieces ) on my '04 GL1800 and have too much vibration to use it. I removed all 3 pieces and put pieces of cut up bicycle inner tube in between the handlebar and mount, the camera base and camera and even put rubber around both ball mounts, but still have too much vibration to get a good result.

I wrote to Ram on their website for suggestions / comments, but they didn't reply after 2 or 3 weeks...

Any suggestions other than a different mount? Has anyone had better results than me with the same setup? Maybe the camera, which is set to reduce vibration, is too sensitive. It's a Canon HF-100, hi-def digital camcorder.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have... ...Steve in SoCA

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'm in the process of making a dash shelf to hold this stuff. I don't like the idea of such a fragile piece of electronics as a Camcorder on the bars. I have a HelmetCam so I can mount the camera itself in several different locations. The shelf will help reduce light reflecting off the gauges and hold several other widgets as well. Since I'm still just gathering materials I wonder if anyone else has done this already. Any pics?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the nice thing about using the shelf on a windbender is you can attach the shelf to the windbender metal bars for support in the front

·
Registered
466 Posts
I tried the ram camera mount ( 3 pieces ) on my '04 GL1800 and have too much vibration to use it. I removed all 3 pieces and put pieces of cut up bicycle inner tube in between the handlebar and mount, the camera base and camera and even put rubber around both ball mounts, but still have too much vibration to get a good result.

I wrote to Ram on their website for suggestions / comments, but they didn't reply after 2 or 3 weeks...

Any suggestions other than a different mount? Has anyone had better results than me with the same setup? Maybe the camera, which is set to reduce vibration, is too sensitive. It's a Canon HF-100, hi-def digital camcorder.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have... ...Steve in SoCA
I've been experimenting with good low vibration locations for video recording. So far I've discovered:

1. Mounting a camera on my helmet doesn't always give me the view I want. It's also in the wind, makes the helmet top heavy, and limits the video potential.

2. I'm still looking for a reasonably priced image stabilized HD video camera. It looks like image stabilized digital cameras don't enable that feature when recording video. The other reason for cheap is that I've seen some pretty fantastic video when the camera is mounted low, such as on the crash bars. In that case it'd be a setup and shoot, as changing the field of perspective isn't a good idea.

3. Ideally, I'd like to mount it either on the handlebars, dash, or some place where I could look at the video and either zoom in or out, depending on the scene and effect.

4. A vibration resistant mount similar to the ones I've seen for GPSs on off road bikes and cars. These units use rubber or special springs to help eliminate much of the vibration. They're expensive but when compared to a image stabilized camera may be cheap.

5. The latest version of iMovie has image stabilization calculation. It will analyze the video, stabilize what it can, and inform you of sections that it't can't compensate for. It works well and I've salvaged a lot of formerly useless footage that way. Since I'm primarily on a Mac I don't know if there's a product for M$ that does the same thing. iMovie/iLife is $90.

·
Registered
279 Posts

it looks just fine
Your going to find that 5 inch arm induces a bit of vibration.

Hal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hal...You say the 5" arm will cause vibration. I find that to be true with my camera mount setup. Have you tried either of the shorter arms from RAM? If so, I'd be interested to hear if the vibration improved / reduced enough to get a good video. Or do you use another type of mount for videos?

...Steve in SoCA

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I used the 3-4" arm and have great results. It depends mainly on the road surface.

I have the ram mount and the mountinginnovations camera quick release mount.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts