GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has seen a cam that integrates with the intercom sound so that one could film their trip and narate from both driver and rider?
I've seen some with video only. But thought how nice to comment about the scenery or whatever. Anyone done that?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
macmike,

Depending on the camera system you are using you might want to call Helmet camera here in VA. They may have a solution for ya.
their number is 540-361-1552
here's their web page link.
http://www.helmetcamera.com/index.html

If I knew what you were using and how it's set up, I could go by and ask them for ya.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a camera system right now. I was wondering if there was a video and audio solution that worked off the Goldwing intercom. With something like that, you could narrate from both rider and passenger plus add music from a sound source etc pretty easily.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's very nice but I'm looking for something for a quick home movie type of thing. I won't be trying to show it in a theatre. I realize I could get a second mic and use it with cams that have external audio imputs. But that would be messy because of all the extra wires. Trying to keep it simple by just using the one intercom mic in my helmet. Maybe I should contact J&M or something.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can't recall seeing this exact adapter but it probably exist. Since my SO and I go mostly for scenic rides, I'm interested in what you find. My memory often hits blank spots so it would be nice to record our comments as we go. Since the objective is reduce the high output of the headset speakers to a low level for the CAM external mike input, would think a headset in-line breakout box with a dual potentiometer would work in many cases. Side issues that can complicate the matter are audio noise ground loops that often occur when connecting to the Wing audio system. Keeping the CAM body isolated from the Wing may sidestep the problem. If you are thinking of using a power adapter to power the CAM from the Wing battery, a ground-loop isolator in the audio lines to the CAM will probably be required. Also, I can tell you the Wing headset wiring does not like to get wet so any breakout box should be relatively waterproof.

There are probably wireless options as well but my preference is to NOT have any more batteries to keep charged if I can help it.

Another CAM feature I'll look for is a simple remote control so my SO can handle turning the CAM on and off. I'll PM you if I find anthing of value.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good info. Since no one makes anything like this I'm going make my own.
A couple of short in-line 5pin din cables with a male and a female connector about 6" long and bring out the mic pins (in parallel with existing wiring)(pins 1&2). Run the cables under the trike and up by the handlebars into the cam. My Samsung cam has auto volume so no need for volume pots. I'll simply make mine left and my passenger right into the stereo audio input jack of the Samsung. Should work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tapping directly into the mic lines may present some problems. A Wing mic has very low level output so it is very sensitive to impedance matching. I know that if you try to use a Harley mic on a Wing, you get nothing. Also, I read where many CAMs external inputs are line-level inputs (about 1 volt) instead of mic-level inputs (millivolts or less). If the CAM has line inputs, there's little chance of directly connecting the Wing mic to it without a preamp. However, the headset speaker lines may drive line inputs but still may need a simple resistor divider to control distortion. If you haven't bought the CAM yet, might avoid some pain by comparing/matching the Wing mic signal range to the CAM input signal range before you buy. Auto-gain does have limits. If you do end up connecting to the mic lines, be sure to use shielded wire. Even with shielded wire, stray noise can sometimes be a pain to eliminate on mic lines...the Wing has a lot of noise sources. I don't have the typical signal levels on the Wing headset lines but looks like I need to add that to my to-do list before I look for a CAM.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Samsung cam. The auto gain on the input is quite strong. When I've driven it with my mixer (I'm a musician too), I've had to give it a very low send. This mod I plan to do is fully removable if it doesn't work. Yes shielded cables only, of course. I'm mostly concerned about wind noise. But when all done, we'll have to see if this works. That's about all one can do short of engineering it to death. One thing that might be a killer though is the mic impedance being loaded by the cam input. I'd hate to have to add a preamp which would probably make me just drop the whole idea. But driving the cam from the headset signal might be the remedy in that case though. Well, we'll see soon. Well, as soon as my J&M electronics arrive anyway.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
talking about camera's I have a canon rebel xt I would like to sell.....it's about a year old....email me or Pm....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts