GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase a camera to mount on the gold wing. Looking for suggestions from those who have one and how they work for you. Any models or brands to look at and also the brands to stay away from, and also where I might be able to purchase.
Thanks for your input.

Jay

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have tried a few and now have a gopro camera mounted on the left mirror and it works great, we just got back from a trip up the the UP in Michigan and have some great videos. The camera is steady and the only thing that might be a negitive is the fish eye that it films in but very minor.
I bought mine from Wing Stuff and it comes with everything you need, I did buy a monitor that goes on the back of it and cut a hole in the side of the case and plug it in while ridding so the battery won't run out and have a 32 gig card in it.
I usually have it on whenever I ride (my little black box) and I just delete the videos after I stop if nothing happens, but that is just me. I down load the good video's on the computer (that I keep in the trunk) if they are videos that are special.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did a little research on this and as with anything there are many opinions and options. I ended up going with the Contour GPS Model...

The good:

The video quality (in my opinion) is excellent, the video I shot below was shot at the lowest quality as i only had the 2GB Card that came with it at the time.

If you upload your video to the Contour Website you will see the associated GPS information with your video (which I think is VERY Cool!!!).

Decent battery life and lots of accessories.

If you have an iPhone, iPOD Touch or some Android Phones you can use it as a "View Finder" for the camera as it doesn't have a display / view finder. This is very cool but is only used to "Set Up" shots and not live while the camera is recording.

You also get a ton of mounts / mounting options with the camera and at under 6oz in weight you really can mount this anywhere / everywhere you want.

Here's a link to the very first video I shot before I got the iPhone app working so I wasn't able to set up the shot properly and just guessed. I didn't realize how wide of an angle it had so I got some of my windshield and vent in it.

http://contour.com/stories/my-new-toy

If I had to nitpick I'd say the battery life is a little thin at about 3 hours but extra batteries are cheap. They take a little while to charge but nothing too painful I got the USB Charger so I can charge one while using the other if need be.

Other other thing to point out is that if you choose to upload the video somewhere else (like You Tube) it will work fine but you won't see / get any of the GPS Info. There is supposed to be a way to get around this in the future.

The Software that comes with it works but is really designed to set up the camera and download videos but has very little editing capabilities but Contour claims that will also be changed in the future. If you use another editing application you will loose the GPS Data but there might be a work around that I haven't tried just yet.

Hopefully this helps in somewhat, if you have any questions that I haven't answered let me know and I will help anyway I can.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Go Pro HD, I mount on windshield and put tie wrap through vent for extra security. works great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts