GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a 225 lb personal watercraft trailer . It's 12' long tip to tail . 12 " tires and load rating of 1200 lbs . So it will ride rough empty I suspect . Now here's the question as it's 800 miles away . Think I can pull it with wing without a big deal ? Should I maybe pull a leaf or 2 before taking it home ? Is 12' too long to safely pull with bike ? Am I stupid for thinking I can ? Tell me like it is , I wanna know your thoughts . If I had a trike it would not even bat an eye . But I am second guessing buying one so far away .
Thought ? Ok that was more than one question , my bad .

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
If you have towed a trailer before with the Wing, it should only take you a few miles and turns to adjust to whatever differences the length of the trailer will add. I would be concerned about the light weight, maybe put 150lbs of sand on it for some weight?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I know someone who has a boat trailer for a trailer he pulls behind his 1500. And it has a box on it, filled with gear........

You shouldn't have any issues, just make sure you have enough tongue weight on it. Might want to take a 50# bag of concrete and a couple of ratchet straps just to be sure. And empty trailer can me tricky to tow sometimes. Wouldn't worry about removing a leaf but I would lower the tire pressure to around 18 to 22 pounds, that will soften the ride a bit.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'd do all the free stuff first, deflate the tires to about 20 or so. Pull all the leaves (leafs??) but the main one, strap them to the front of the trailer if you dont have 20-30 lbs. of tongue weight. Other than that, I'd tow it. I dont think the length will do anything but make it ride a little better (less squirrely), depending on where the axle is. Just my two cents...

·
Registered
85 Posts
sure I would do it

like others said, sure you can do it. I pulled a flat bottom 12 foot boat a couple of times with my bike. the width is what you got to remember when towing it. you got to be riding in the middle of your lane. to either side of the road and either the trailer wheel will be in the other lane or other will be on the shoulder of the road. also you will get lots of looks. when pulling into a gas station or passing it is going to track different the the mini mate. so you got to watch you turns. let us know how you did. as for pulling a leaf spring ,I would try it 1st. without doing that or lowering the the tire pressure too much. or they could get hot and blow out. thanks al

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have towed a trailer before with the Wing, it should only take you a few miles and turns to adjust to whatever differences the length of the trailer will add. I would be concerned about the light weight, maybe put 150lbs of sand on it for some weight?
I know someone who has a boat trailer for a trailer he pulls behind his 1500. And it has a box on it, filled with gear........

You shouldn't have any issues, just make sure you have enough tongue weight on it. Might want to take a 50# bag of concrete and a couple of ratchet straps just to be sure. And empty trailer can me tricky to tow sometimes. Wouldn't worry about removing a leaf but I would lower the tire pressure to around 18 to 22 pounds, that will soften the ride a bit.
I'd do all the free stuff first, deflate the tires to about 20 or so. Pull all the leaves (leafs??) but the main one, strap them to the front of the trailer if you dont have 20-30 lbs. of tongue weight. Other than that, I'd tow it. I dont think the length will do anything but make it ride a little better (less squirrely), depending on where the axle is. Just my two cents...
Thanks guys .
I have pulled a good many trailers and campers . It's the empty and 12' that makes me wonder . All really good advice . I have a temp inferred gauge and can monitor temps as I lower pressure . . It's in really great shape and price is right . Above responses are reassuring , thanks again.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My plan is to make a multi use trailer out of it .
Single rail bike hauler , flat bed , and slapping on some kinda of car topper when needed .
I really like multi use stuff . I plan on shortening tongue at that time .
Love the 12 " tires and rec.tubing frame . It's a shorelander trailer and their known for quality .

·
Registered
488 Posts
My plan is to make a multi use trailer out of it .
Single rail bike hauler .
Do you mean a trailer to haul your bike on?

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you mean a trailer to haul your bike on?
Sure do and I got a good start on one . I bought a jet ski trailer and have 5/8 marine grade plywood for bed . I am going to make bed quick detachable. Than work on rail for a bike to go under it for hauling bikes around .

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW it pulled great with 18psi in those 12" tires and it was 12' long never gave me an issue . Guessing tongue weight was about 30lbs for ride home .

·
Registered
488 Posts
Sure do and I got a good start on one . I bought a jet ski trailer and have 5/8 marine grade plywood for bed . I am going to make bed quick detachable. Than work on rail for a bike to go under it for hauling bikes around .

Been there done that... Seriously I thought I was the only one. I will see if I can find photos.

I had the tongue reinforced by a local trailer maker and had him cover it with steel grating. (something that won't rust / rot / or create wind resistance. He put a short steel deck toward the front for me to mount the chock onto.

If you still have the wench on yours leave it on. It makes short work of winching your ramp under the bike and frame and over the axle. I have a 7 1/2 foot ramp that makes loading a snap. If it were not for all the tie downs I use I could easily pull up to my loading/ unloading area, deploy the ramp and secure it to the rear so it doesn't slip. Load or unload the bike and put the ramp back in place in about 5 - 10 minutes tops.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been there done that... Seriously I thought I was the only one. I will see if I can find photos.

I had the tongue reinforced by a local trailer maker and had him cover it with steel grating. (something that won't rust / rot / or create wind resistance. He put a short steel deck toward the front for me to mount the chock onto.

If you still have the wench on yours leave it on. It makes short work of winching your ramp under the bike and frame and over the axle. I have a 7 1/2 foot ramp that makes loading a snap. If it were not for all the tie downs I use I could easily pull up to my loading/ unloading area, deploy the ramp and secure it to the rear so it doesn't slip. Load or unload the bike and put the ramp back in place in about 5 - 10 minutes tops.
Good suggestion :thumbup:

·
Registered
488 Posts

In these photos I have the ramp in the back of the truck but it slides above the axle and I secure it to the bottom side of the trailer. To use I slide it out and it mounts and is secured to the bar on the back of the trailer. On this bike I was considering moving the mount back about 1 foot to place more of the center of gravity on the bike over the asle but it rode perfectly as it is. The goldwing is just a tad longer so I think it will be just about perfect.
Tom

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts