GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several questions about campers (or trailers in general).
I am working on a deal to buy a Bunkhouse camper from a man in Des Moines.
Has anyone bought a trailer and had it shipped/delivered across country?

What is the general opinion on the 2000 Bunkhouse (SE)?

The camper does not have brakes. Is anyone pulling a Bunkhouse without brakes? Does anyone have info on adding brakes?

A final question, is anyone located in/near Des Moines? I may need some assistance in closing the deal.

Thanks, mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a bunkhouse, but never have shipped one. I think the Bunkhouse rates pretty high among the camper style trailers on the market. I do not have trailer brakes and don't feel I really need them. I don't think bunkhouse offers them as an option. The tongue weight is only 20-25#s and the trailer is maybe 350 - 400 #'s with everything in the trailer. I think the 1800 has outstanding brakes compared to other models and brands. I am not saying that having trailer brakes wouldn't be better than not, but I don't think they are necessary. I ride two up on most of my camping trips and drive with greater awareness of stopping distance etc. with it behind me. It pulls great and don't notice it being there. Just makes sense to exercise more caution when you can. Emergency stops? I haven't yet had one and hope that continues. Good luck with your search.
Ron

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just purchased a new Aspen Classic and had it shipped from IL to ID and it cost me $400. I had it shipped to the nearest truck termeinal then picked it up my self with my truck and flatbed trailer. To have it shipped to my house directly was another $250. Cost me $10 gas! Just check with some local shipping company such as Road Runner , Yellow Freight etc and they should be able to get you a good estimate. Good luck and happy camping.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your replies.
I considered, and still am considering, the aspen.
I think i have found a good deal on the bunkhouse if I can get it to Texas!

thanks again, mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts