GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seek the vast wisdom and experience of this group to point me in the right direction on motorcycle campers. I recently switched back to a GL1800 after a short stint with a ST1300. The main reason was to get a more suitable "tractor" to pull the trailer.

So, first question is about the hitch. I am thinking about the Bushtec economy model. I have a Pitbull lift so I shouldn't have any trouble removing the rear wheel. So far, I can only find it at list price such as from HDL. Is there any place to get it at a discount?

My second question is about the trailer itself. I ride always by myself , so I'm looking for a small camper. The best I've found so far is the Kompact Kamp considering size and price. Any suggestions on the trailer or comments about the Kompact Kamp?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The Bustec hitch seems the way to go. I bought mine right after they came out in "01. Been real satisfied. Don't skimp on quality. The original Bushtech hitch has plenty of support to the frame. A friend of mine has the compact camp. It's small alright. He has since got married and it gets mighty close in there. I guess they don't mind.....Yet. God Bless!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I went with the Bushtec hitch in '01 and went with it again for '04. I pulled a '97 Kwick Kamp and now pull an '03 Windward. I installed a tongue box on the trailer and now have A LOT of tongue weight. I am more concerned with the rear tire than the hitch. BTW: Install on the Bushtec is perfect. Everything lined up perfectly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went with the Bushtec in '01 and have had no problems. Like everyone says fit is great and frame support excellent. I just purchased a 2004 Aspen Classic and can't wait for spring to get here..... :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts