13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife has always wanted to do motorcycle --camping adventures

can some folks tell me what they pay for camp space

one tent and two people with two bikes

·
Registered
114 Posts
Loren, I've stayed in state camp grounds for $7.00/night, KOA usually around 20.00/night, and on military bases around the country for as low as 3.00/night.
The KOA's change depending on how busy an area it is and time of the year. When I'm headed out the door I figure I'm going to spend 15-20 bucks a night. Some more some less but that seems to be about right.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I use to own a Time Out camper and found cost varyied widely depending on the area. The nicest, cleanest most reasonable campgrounds that we found were in state parks or Corp of Engineers campgrounds. Typically run $12-18 a night with electricity and H20 hook-ups. I've paid as much as $38 at a place in Ocean Springs Ms. three years ago during the Ms. district Gold wing rally. Both were an absolute rip off.
The Army Corp of Engineers has a neat website and you can even make reservations online in advance. Just do a search on Ask or Yahoo.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Woah, man! You are in for quite a learning curve. Motorcycle camping has lots of flavors, depending on how much you want to rough it versus how much you want to commune with nature. I can definitely say that motorcycle camping has done nothing but enrich our motorcycling experience. We like the tent/sleeping bag approach but we have two bikes. Trying to carry all the gear and going two-up begs for a trailer and we prefer not to pull a trailer (the goodness for the Pakit Rak). If you are going to pull a trailer you may as well make it a camper trailer. Tenting is definitely the cheapest way to go, both in equipment expense and camp site prices.

I'm one of those guys that likes to sleep at night, and I appreciate a nice hot shower in the evening. Most state parks and national parks have the noisiest, rudest campers on the planet but their prices are usually pretty cheap (there are exceptions, such as Calaveras Big Tree State park which cost around $25.00 a night, $8.00 to park a second motorcycle, and had a coin operated shower that took four bucks per person for a decent shower)

I prefer private owned mom & pop camp sites. They usually go around $10.00 to $15.00 a night for tent sites including parking both our bikes and the showers are free. They also normally provide power outlets so we can charge up our camcorders, camera batteries, iPods, cell phones, laptop, etc... (yeah, its camping but I'm addicted to some technologies.) They don't allow rowdiness after 10 PM and will kick out campers that are inconsiderate of others. I prefer staying at these places right outside the National Parks rather than camping in the N.P.s. Natural Bridges, Bryce Canyon, and Yosemite are some prime examples where the private campsites outside the parks were much better than what was inside, with the private sites being cheaper and more comfortable.

I don't go to KOA sites for the most part but only because I would be paying a higher price for amenities we don't use. Its kind of like Las Vegas... I don't stay in $249.00 suites when a $69.00 room is available since I only use the room for sleeping and showering.

Here are a couple of sites you might want to check out regarding motorcycle camping. They are great resources for considering camping equipment that you aren't even aware you need:

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71 - geared toward ST1300 riders, but hey... camping is camping.

http://www.motocampers.com/ - setup by a GL1800 owner nicknamed Mellow who visits the other GL1800 board. Its new, but tons of good info and beginning to make traction.

Also, before you ever purchase anything be sure to check http://www.campmor.com. They have the best prices for quality camping equipment I have found. http://www.rei.com offers great tips on what to consider when buying different pieces of camping equipment.

If you have any questions or simply want to share the "trauma" of motorcycle camping, feel free to drop me a note at [email protected]. Motorcycle camping can quickly become a passion if you aren't careful. It is the best combination of two outdoor experiences there is.

Sorry about the long note. You hit my sweet spot.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
i have found that KOA charges the same for one motorcycle or a group of 3 motorcycles !

seems odd but thats the way it is

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just got back from a trip through NV, OR, ID and MT. We camped most nights. $7 for two bikes/tents in OR (Idlewyld). $14 for the same in NV (Lamoile). MT and ID were free because we "roughed it" in BLM campgrounds or dry camped in the NF. The BLMs have a restroom but that's all.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
riffraff, does that blue chair fold small enough to fit in a saddlebag or trunk? Do you think two would fit?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Dorian,

I usually travel solo when camping so I pack the chair/tent/air matt on the rear seat. I think it will fit in the luggage though. I will check it out tonight and let you know.

·
Registered
652 Posts
does that blue chair fold small enough to fit in a saddlebag or trunk? Do you think two would fit?
We have 2 of them.
Got them at BassPro. Love them!!
No they would not fit in the bags.
We used to carry them in the trailer but now strap them behind the cooler.
They would strap to a luggage rack just fine.
Anyone that sees our camp site always wants to know "Where is the Van?"
TR

·
Registered
21 Posts
Camping Costs

Loren,

The Trailer Life Directory is a good source for campground ratings and costs. A printed version is available for $11. It is about 2 inches thick. So, you would want to do your research ahead of time. You can also go to their site and see the same basic info for free, after you register.

www.tldirectory.com

One word of caution. Their ratings go from 0 to 10 in three different catagories. There is a night and day difference between a rating of 6 and a rating of 10.

Good Luck, Jim

PS It is too bad about those Packers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dorian_Blue said:
riffraff, does that blue chair fold small enough to fit in a saddlebag or trunk? Do you think two would fit?
I know its not much help but they do make a chair that will fit and is advertised as doing so but cant remember where ! Sorry. LOOK UNDER CAMPMOR.COM AND LOOK FOR Item Number: 64550

·
Registered
305 Posts
No they would not fit in the bags.
There ya go! Mounted across the rear seat the ends are even with the outside of the speaker enclosures. I took a pic but, of course, forgot to bring the camera to work for download.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts