GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I along with 2 other couples on planning on stopping by the Savannah area to visit tourist sites(Civil War, Revolutionary, scenic vistas) I was wondering about camp grounds such as the Savannah South KOA. Can anyone give me recommendations on some suitable places. Frequently stay at KOA's as they typically have high standards for cleanliness and safety. Open to other ideas if you have other suggestions. Appreciate any guidance you can offer.:bow:

From there plan on traveling the coast South in Florida down to the Keys.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

·
Registered
390 Posts
Not sure if Savannah South KOA is same as the one in Richmond Hill but the RH KOA campground is located on a nice lake and has some cabins in back. A/C here is pretty desirable this time of year. Something else you might want to check out is Ft. McCallister State Park in R.H. if bathrooms and showers are all you need. If I can help give me a call at 912/658-7321

·
Banned
2,341 Posts
I live in Richmond Hill also Ft. McAllister is right around the cornor from my house. You can always PM me if you like for info and maybe a ride to some good eats. :thumbup:

Now you got 2 of us. ;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cypressfly & Fred,

Thanks for your response. I am presently putting together some sort of itinerary for our trip. Hope to have a fairly detailed plan by the end of the month. The problem is, I have to assemble for 2 other couples who don't like to make plans. Not even sure they are traveling with us all the way. I will make copies of your suggestions and will follow up with you as I'm able. Thanks again and I will contact you as I know more.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Savannah Ga.

I stayed at the State Park close to Callaway Gardens last year outside of Savannah Ga. and a very nice place it was.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I stayed at the State Park close to Callaway Gardens last year outside of Savannah Ga. and a very nice place it was.
Ummm...you may be thinking of another place...Callaway Gardens is in west Ga. just out of Columbus, Savannah is on the east coast of GA.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fred, I wonder if the Savannah KOA would allow us to put 3 campers on 2 sites. I'm not sure if they know how small the motorcycle campers are. Other places I have called before couldn't understand how you could pull a tent camper with a motorcycle. 3 campers on 2 sites would be a little more price tolerable. In the past, have had better luck in KOA's only because can call in the am for reservation that evening. Using state park such as Fort McAllister has required us to make reservations in advance. This is difficult to do when not your first stop as we don't know for sure what nights we will be in the area as spending time in Charleston also. Hate to be on a time commitment but that may be where we end up. Reviews I have seen on many of the campgrounds in the Augusta, GA; Charleston and Savannah have not been that complimentary.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in Richmond Hill also Ft. McAllister is right around the cornor from my house. You can always PM me if you like for info and maybe a ride to some good eats. :thumbup:

Now you got 2 of us. ;)
Fred,

pm sent

·
Banned
2,341 Posts
What a great group of people. I was lucky to have the day off Sunday to show these folks around.

Only had time to run down to Tybee Island and downtown Savannah. But made plenty of time to eat at my watering hole that night.

They are still on the road now heading to the Keys. Pretty impressive, 3 trikes and 3 pop-up campers.

They will be on the road for 30 days.......Gotta love it.

Be safe Ya'll

Fred & Claire

1 - 10 of 10 Posts