GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a week of camping along the California and Oregon coast. The campground we stayed in the most was two nights, Honeyman State campground in Oregon. The last night there a couple of sites close to us decided to have a party until 6 am the next morning. According to the couple traveling with us they were very loud. They should have complained to the rangers but didn’t. What really irates me is I fixed their lantern before I went to bed.

I snore so my wife has been using a sound machine to drown me out. We have been using this sound machine for about 12 years and it also drowns out the rude neighbors in nearby camp sites. We have slept through several of the same incidents throughout the years and I would recommend it to anyone camping in large campgrounds. I am sure there are cheaper ones out there if you look. I like this one because it uses batteries and plugs in to the wall socket.

http://www.sharperimage.com/si/view/product/Travel-Sound-Machine/100908

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I have a much cheaper way to deal with that. I just turn over and put my good ear on the pillow. Can't hear a thing with the other ear. :thumbup:

·
Banned
939 Posts
happy campers

Troubling camper etiquette is certainly increasing. I am not sure what “LOUD” means as experienced by your traveling companions as with the “sound machine” you and your bride slept through the “loud” it seems.
However, I do not think the late night fire side chats will every go away at “civilized” concentrated campgrounds and however unfortunate they are often accompanied by burst of laughter every half an hour or so but this goes with the territory. Even until 6a.m. sometimes.

I am not getting the sense this is your complaint though.

Drunk after 11p.m rants and loud for loud-’s sake and amplified music is definitely a breach of etiquette. May I humbly suggest in the future you get your Zen sniffer super camper sense on and access the situation well before 10p.m. (after dinner works great) and join the potential rebel rousers at their camp fire for some humanity and face to face/s happy camper no judgments BS. Float your expectations indirectly and frankly just introduce yourself. Make sure you go back at 10 or 11 and tell them it was great too meet them and you and your bride are going to be turning in for the night.

Chances are if you stick around for 20 minutes or so during your after dinner visit a few of the potential future a**holes friends will sense your genuine camper mojo and intuitively get that you come in peace and are spreading the camper Zen of common peace. The A**holes themselves are frankly incapable of perception do not even attempt to “change” them from outside their “group” during your visit.

This stealth strategy with the sane amongst the trouble makers usually works as a few of the “friends” of the potential future late night buffoons will go out of their way to moderate the groups behavior.

However, if you take the approach of leaving it all to the rangers or caretakers and turn only sneering looks to potential difficulties throughout the evening the rowdy group often takes this as a badge of honor and group think takes over amongst them and at that time there is no real productive remedy as their late nigt shenanigans will escalate in direct proportion to their drunkenness and they will feel as though, for whatever reason, they are an island to themselves and you will not have made unspoken peace with those amongst their group that could have been internal moderators of civility.

Granted this approach only works seven out of ten times but you might be pleasantly surprised how productive unspoken general eye to eye happy camper joining the neighbors camp fire for 20 minutes of BS in conversation will prevent a lot of headaches.

As you develop this proactive approach you will gain a high degree of certainty as to when you should approach the rangers/caretakers before anything even gets out of line vs. waiting to be reactive after-hours.

Just a suggestion and who knows you and your companions might have already gone with this approach with the loud group you encountered. If not I suggest giving it a try next time.

Don’t stop camping, we need you out there!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to my camping partners, several of our neighbors complained to the drunk folks to no avail.
But, I was just explaining the advantages of using a sound machine when camping. They didn't bother me, I didn't get upset or stay awake.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Good advice on the sound machine. I will have to look into one of these, as it recently happened to me where we had some loud neighbors.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
noise

I had a similer incidence 2 weeks ago. Carrying on late into the night. I yelled and it had zero effect. Then I remembered my ear plugs for riding and honestly don't remember anything else. They worked again the next night when the ladies from our group decided that they were going to get to know each other. The late night camp-fire is part of camping, unfortunately, even when you aren't part of the campfire.

Richard

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Maybe they didn't have a sound machine and were being loud to drown out the sound of your snoring?

:joke::lol:

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have a much cheaper way to deal with that. I just turn over and put my good ear on the pillow. Can't hear a thing with the other ear. :thumbup:
I'm deaf on my right so I do it your way and lay on my pillow with my left ear. I have done it that way all my life. There are some advantages to being Single Sided Deaf.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
I sleep in campgrounds with ear plugs in every night. This way when a bear comes and kills me I will never know he's coming :thumbup: Really I always wear ear plugs at night in campgrounds. Never hear a thing and a good nights sleep makes for better riding in morning after breakfast first over open fire.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I sleep in campgrounds with ear plugs in every night. This way when a bear comes and kills me I will never know he's coming :thumbup: Really I always wear ear plugs at night in campgrounds. Never hear a thing and a good nights sleep makes for better riding in morning after breakfast first over open fire.
Rail,
Good to know,... in case sometime I wanna sneek in and.. steal your cookies!
thecruiser

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts

·
Registered
8,554 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Try to remember also that all people don't go to bed at 7:30pm :shrug:

Staying up late, campfires and friends... that's what camping is all about.

Motel 6 for a good nights sleep.

Are you sure you didn't stay up all night trying to hear what they were saying? :lol:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I thought most "nice" camp grounds had quiet hours:?:
If not, I'd find another place to camp!
Noise after the quiet hour=complaint to grounds manager=warning to offenders or being told to pack up and leave!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just returned from a campout. When 2 arrived at 10pm to set up, that was their free one. When they left at 1230am, strike 2. When they returned at 230am with 4 more guys, cussing, cutting up and making racket until 4am, strike 3 and I started making plans for retaliation. The dumb ass set off his car alarm too. 6 guys in one popup? Uh...what were they doing? Luckily for them they left by 9am. The whole camp was making plans...lol. We were going to have some fun!

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
I stay up late around campfires sometimes till dawn:nojoke: but quite hours are quite hours . I always make sure I am respectful of other campers. If it is a close campgrounds we find area where we are far away from sleeping campers. Only once have we been given the evil death stare. This girl laughed like a wild hyena loudly and often we warned her that her laughing was going to get us in trouble and sure enough it did. But she was like 6 foot tall and all legs in late 20's ,who could blame us really :oops: only once forgive me please! Wear ear plugs if trying to get good nites sleep guys :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Just returned from a campout. When 2 arrived at 10pm to set up, that was their free one. When they left at 1230am, strike 2. When they returned at 230am with 4 more guys, cussing, cutting up and making racket until 4am, strike 3 and I started making plans for retaliation. The dumb ass set off his car alarm too. 6 guys in one popup? Uh...what were they doing? Luckily for them they left by 9am. The whole camp was making plans...lol. We were going to have some fun!
We run into a group like that at a "family campground" once.

After a half hour of their hoopin' and hollerin' I pushed the 'emergency' button on my car remote.

BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP (for about five minutes)

By the time management come to see what all the racket was,...
the group was va-we va-we cwyit.

I was sooooo ashamed. :oops: he he he
thecruiser

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
quiet

I'm recently back into camping. The 1st time there was one of those all night parties in the camp, I didn't handle it well. The next time I put in my ear plugs and didn't embarass myself. I've come to the conclusion that sooner or later someone is going to want to party when you want to sleep.:shrug: I decided that it is a lot easier to figure out how sleep through it.

Richard

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Wait until morning... say around 9 or 10 am (when they are all still sleeping it off and everyone else is either up and/or gone) .... then start blasting your horn ... pretending that it's stuck or something. :22yikes:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm recently back into camping. The 1st time there was one of those all night parties in the camp, I didn't handle it well. The next time I put in my ear plugs and didn't embarass myself. I've come to the conclusion that sooner or later someone is going to want to party when you want to sleep.:shrug: I decided that it is a lot easier to figure out how sleep through it.

Richard
People like that need to learn respect. You need go over, throw something of theirs in the campfire in front of them, then tell them if they don't shut the hell up, you'll be back later in the night in your car to drive over them and their tent.

:doorag:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts