GL1800Riders Forums banner

Camping off your bike

3K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Bulitt 
#1 ·
Good morning all starting this thread for something to talk about during this Ohio winter. Do any of you go camping with you motorcycle if so lost some cool places or share how you do it. Share pics of you have any. My wife and I got a trailer we pull now and went camping once and had the greatest time will be doing as much as we can this spring and summer so please share how you guys camp and places you have been
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Plant Automotive tire

Luggage and bags Motor vehicle Trunk Bag Automotive exterior

Plant community Plant Shade Tree Grass

Plant Tree Road surface Asphalt Motor vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey Chris, good to see you are posting on the forum again and still riding. There are a lot of folks doing what you are talking about. You know UncleJohn and I camped just about everywhere we went. I got a lot of pics of places where we camped together. It's a great way to see the country. I don't know if you have started making your plans for the spring yet, but I would think about going to the Texas Red Neck Ride In, in Navasota TX the last weekend in April. It's one of the two annual events that John and I never miss. That was the last place we camped together last May. There is already a bunch of riders coming next year that are camping on the lawn. It's a really great event and the best Texas BBQ you will find anywhere. Be some other Buckeyes there as well. Check out the link and hope to see ya there.
Texas Red Neck RTE 2023

#4 ·
I wouldn’t Mind going to that if some other Buckeyes are going I would mind tagging along I have heard uncle john talk about how fun that is going to that glad to be back on forum this past couple of months have been busy too kids in the military and jist found out gonna be a grandpa from our oldest

#5 ·
Uncle John saved my life a few years ago (2017) while at a "darkside" motorcycle rally. I wish that I could of "thank" him in person before he passed..... i had a full blown seizure, Luckly. I was stopped on side of road, sill sitting on my bike, the rest of the story is blank'd out, all I know is that the medical EMT's had me helicoptered, out of the area to a medical emergency facility. in Roanoke Va.

Ronnie
1/14/23

#6 ·
Camping is a cool way to travel. I started back in college for a cheap way to get off campus for the weekend but then didn't do it for over 25 years. I got back into it around 2012 when a M&G came up in Iowa where everyone was going to be camping. Quick trip to Dicks Sporting Goods and bought a cheap tent and sleeping bag not really considering the whole packing on a bike. It worked but after that, I took some time to research stuff better designed for compact camping. Also what I really needed and didn't. I was able to fit pretty much everything in the trunk of my GL1500.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Brown Luggage and bags Trunk Bag Baggage

I used this for a couple different trips including going to Tellico Plains, TN as well as a trip down to Arkansas with a overnight stopover in state park in Missouri.

After a riding buddy picked up an Aspen Classic tent trailer, I began to realize that I was getting older and it wasnt as much fun getting up the next morning after sleeping on the ground. I picked up my own Aspen Classic and have gone out west as far as Cody, WY, out east all the way to Acadia National Park in Maine as well as back down to Tennessee.

Tire Plant Wheel Motor vehicle Tent

Cloud Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle

Sky Plant Plant community Tire Tree

This has served me very well for many years. I have switched up trips with sometimes camping and sometimes motel/hotelling it. I ended up getting new tent installed about 2 years ago but have only made 1 trip with Aspen since then.

Tent Tarpaulin Vehicle Shade Tread

I still have it and plan on still using but have since picked up a toy hauler for longer trips when I take my son with. I enjoy the long rides but many times have to go through hours of not so interesting roads and I know the little guy would get bored. By using toyhauler, he can do many different activities to keep him occupied.

Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Vehicle

I still have many more places to see sometimes solo, sometimes with my son. Camping is an enjoyable way to do it whether with the Aspen or with some more conveniences that's the toy hauler gives. Only downside with toy hauler is that it ends up being more expensive that traveling with Aspen as I have to use my truck and then avg only about 10mpg...

#7 ·
Camping: Yes
Trailer: No
Then again, my better half doesn't do camping, so I'm only packing for myself.
I have a preference for National Parks and from the Rockies going west we are lucky to have quite a few of them.
I pack like I did when I was younger and did a bit of backpacking.
Tire Plant Cloud Wheel Vehicle

#9 ·
Well,
As much as I'd love to do it, the CEO is pretty much NOT ON BOARD with it. That, in and of itself, is not that big of a deal as I'd only do it for a few days here and there. But, the problem is, at 70 years old, and have grown accustomed to the finer things in life, like BEDS, and warmth, and many, many other fine things, I'm pretty sure it's never gonna happen. I envy the heck out of any of you that do it though. Not only Wing Moto-camping but, I also watch youtube vids on Adventure riding and moto-camping. There's so many fine places to see and experience in this GREAT COUNTRY OF OURS that it's not even funny. I missed my calling. I should have started moto-camping decades ago.
Scott

#10 ·
Great pics and descriptions keep ‘em comming I like hearing about other people adventures and how they do things the pics I posted was the first time we had ever camped off the bike we usually hotel it when we travel the trailer has really made it easier for us as we take a queen size inflatable mattress which makes for a way more comfortable sleep and getting up in the morning much easier it also let my better half bring all her cooking stuff and prepare good meals that we would enjoy at home we can’t wait to get out and do it again come on spring

#11 ·
I love camping off the bike. Its my favorite way to travel. Thus pic is from Colorado but I've been everywhere but the Pacific NW.

Not seen is the folding chair, cook set, twin size air mattress, etc.

Tire Wheel Plant Plant community Ecoregion

#12 ·
Love camping off the bike! Each year I hit a few motocross nationals and do a week long trip somewhere. I've gotten pretty efficient with my camping gear and packing setup.

Cherry Ridge Campground in Charles E Baker State Forest, upstate NY.
Table Plant community Plant Outdoor bench Tree

Summer, one night only, setup: Tent lays flat under the roll bag. Micro camping chair on top with mini soft cooler in pillion spot. Freeze a couple bottles of water and place around a few beers for best results.
Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting

I look forward to this one every year! Unadilla MX, camped next to an old cemetery across from the track.
Plant Sky Motor vehicle Tree Automotive tire

Cold weather & multi-day setup: waterproof bags holding large winter sleeping bag and 'real' pillow, plus clothing for the week long trip (Cabot Trail Nova Scotia).
Tire Wheel Water Land vehicle Cloud

High Point MX in the background. This place is all hills... difficult to find level ground for the tent.
Car Wheel Sky Tire Vehicle

Camping with friends is always a good time!
Plant Sky Leaf Cloud Tree

#14 ·
All these pictures of camp'n is make'n me want to purchase a camp'n tow behind trailer for my bike, BUT at 72 yrs old. I doubt I'd use it much, maybe once/twice a season.... Cause I know wife would not be at least bit interested....
Ronnie
1/18/23

#18 ·
#21 ·
Things to consider if and where camping.

If you pitch your tent in the dark and find a nice flat open area, be sure to scope out "other" possible hazards. Or you may wake up in the next county over.

Plant Cloud Sky Tree Natural landscape
u
Some folks on here can be hard on our Harley friends. Harley-Davidson of Anchorage let us camp on their dealership grounds. Provided a code to get in to a heated bathroom area and hot shower. All for NO CHARGE!

Plant community Plant Land lot Tent Shade

Camping at Pink Mountain beside the ALCAN highway. When I camp in bear country I ask upon checking in what the current bear status is. She replied, "good now we think. The bear we were having trouble with in the campground, we shot yesterday".

Plant Sky Cloud Wood Natural landscape

Lastly, we are luxury campers compared to this guy who camped beside me at Coldfoot, AK. Throw the thin pad on the ground and crawl in your sleeping bag. No tent, no nothing.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

#22 ·
Moto Jimmy, I tried to message you but I don't think I have enough post to do that. If you ever get back down to High Point MX stop by and say hi. I live between the 2 entrances. On race Saturday I park about 100 cars in my yard and my wife has a party for family and friends. Been here and doing this for 40 years this year.The race promoters put a worker at my place to collect ticket money but some people never leave my yard because I am so close to the track. Hope to see you sometime, Don

#23 ·
Hey Don! - Yes I received your PM and replied with this incase you don't see it... Wow, thanks for the offer Don! I may just take you up on that... planning to hit High Point this year if the weather cooperates. I've only been once, two years ago. That place is tough to find a level spot and pretty loud at night too but it was worth it. The pit bike racing on Friday night was so much fun to watch! I wish they would have them at Unadilla, and Southwick you can't camp at all.

If my plans work out, I'll definitely be in touch...
Thanks again!
Jim

#25 ·
A buddy and I camp fairly frequently but we don't use our cruisers we use Adventure bikes. However, we could do the same in most cases with cruisers if you have a top case or at least plenty of space on your seat for packing. We both have medium size side bags as well. We take tents, hammocks, camping chairs, some food, fire starter, Small camping lights, sleeping bag & pads. We wear our hiking boots and plan to do some while we are there. We usually only do one night. All of our camping has been at the parks in KY with lake access. Pick any one of them from a google search. We get the primitive sites with direct lake views in almost all cases. My buddy sometimes packs a compact fishing pole. We pick a nice long route to the park get there in time to setup and relax in the hammocks before making dinner. We get beer right before we get to the campsite and we buy wood which they deliver to our campsite. I highly recommend motorcycle camping !!!! next day we have a fire in the AM, do some hiking, and then a good ride home with a late lunch or dinner stop.
Water Sky Wheel Tire Vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.