GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good campground in Sturgis SD during bike week is there a place just for metrics so one doesn't get hassled. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
237 Posts
good one

I have stayed at this one. opened 2009 very nice located on blacktop just off I-90 between Rapid city & Piedmont. www.SPURCAMPGROUND.COM or call 1-877-411-SPUR

·
Registered
375 Posts
How close do you actually want to be to Sturgis? On the east side of Sturgis there are the big ones like Glenco, Buffalo Chip and Lamphere (much quieter I've heard) than chip or Glenco. The down side with this side of town is you have to travel west through Sturgis nearly every time you want to ride.

On the west side of town there is Days End Campground and just beyond it is Eagles Landing. I have stayed at Eagles Landing it is close to town and probably the most reasonable of rates. I stayed there in the past and would again but it is not anything fancy.

About 5 miles out of town towards Rapid is Elkview which seems like a nice clean place. I also stayed a couple of years at ElkCreek by the
Piedmont exit.

If you want to go all the way to Rapid, only a half hour ride, I like the Lazy J on Mt. Rushmore Rd/Hwy 16. It is on the very quiet side but I enjoy my sleep at night.

There are a ton more just depends on how close you want to be and how much noise or traffic you want.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I’ve never been in the Sturgis area for the rally but we have stayed at this place twice and it’s a very nice campground. It’s in Lead so a little ways out of town but not bad. http://www.hiddenvalleydeadwood.com/

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
We stayed in a 2 room cabin at the KOA (Mt Rushmore). Nice central location for anything in the Black Hills.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If you don't mind staying out in the boonies a but check out the KOA in the little town of Interior aka The Badlands. It's about an 80 mile ride to Sturgis which ought to separate the drunk crazies from those who just want to relax and get a good nights sleep. We stayed there a few years ago and found the place to be very clean, friendly and they even cooked breakfast and supper. The sunset rides through the Badlands back to the campground were amazing.

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
Looking for a good campground in Sturgis SD during bike week is there a place just for metrics so one doesn't get hassled. Thanks in advance.
don't worry u won't get hasseled, i've been out there during bike week at least 8 times and never got any hassel, its very crowded but most everyone is very friendly and there to have a good time :thumbup:

plenty of campgrounds available, we usually stay at the Ironhorse campground, reasonable rates and plenty of showers, about 3 miles from downtown Sturgis, they have buses available to haul u around cheap if u don't want to ride

·
Registered
469 Posts
:agree:+1 on The Spur campground. Good accommodations, great friendly owners, food vendors and a bar on site with good entertainment. Great showers and not far from Sturgis (15mi??) If I was going this year I would be staying there again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

·
Registered
68 Posts
It doesn't matter what you ride or where you camp.I've been going for the last 6 years and never had any proplem's.Other than a few drunks who can't find there camp site.We will be there for two day's then noff to yellow stone and Glacier. Have fun.:roll:

·
Love The DCT
11,783 Posts
Ditto what BMXDad said, and you don't have to worry about them hooking a crane to your metric ride, hoisting it up in the air, setting fire to it, then dropping it in a big crash and burn spectacle.

If you want to listen to top notch bands, stay at the Buffalo Chips, a most entertaining place. This year is their 30th anniversary and they are planning quite a bash. :doorag:

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
We're moteling it at Custer.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sturgis Municipal Campground...absolute homerun! Was there several weeks ago, incredible facility...try it you will be hooked!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts