GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to spring and have wrestled all winter between a standard trailer and a camper.

Since most trailers are in the 25cuft range and campers are also in that range and also provide shelter for the night or during bad weather, I think Ill go the tent trailer route.

Now comes the research part I'm asking my fellow wingers to help me with my ignorance about the tent trailers.

All opinions are wecome and encouraged. I will look for the most positive or negative reports on any given camper manufacturer.

TYIA

Buck Yellow Wing

8) :lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am (im)patiently awaiting the delivery of my Bunkhouse SE. I was supposed to be shipped Monday, but now they say Friday.
I choose the bunkhouse because of reputation, features and resale value.
They have a sale right now (ends in about a week) that made the bunkhouse less expensive than the Aspen if you added many options (I did add about everything you can get).

Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 2003 Time Out camper that I picked up at Wings Over The Smokies. I've set it up for practice in the back yard, but have yet to use it.
pluses:
I believe it is about 6'x14' when set up. Lot of room
Has a nice dressing area and dinette area with a table
Completly off the ground
negatives:
Takes longer than others to set up(supposed to set up in 3min)
With options I ordered delivery weight 400lbs(thats without any of your
gear in it)
Very little storage area for your "stuff" I bought a canvas car top carrier
from Wal Mart to store light bulky items on top

These things are not cheap!! You can find lots of used campers for sale on various message boards and can save TONS of money. If I had to do it over again I would buy a used one!

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have no experience with pulling or setting up a camping trailer. I've watched & helped friends set up camping trailers. Some go up easy, some seemed more difficult. I would ask the dealer to let you try the setup before buying to see what you are getting yourself into.
I based my decision on a cargo only trailer on the weight factor. Not that the 1800 couldn't pull the heavier load, I just didn't want to have something that heavy behind me. When I first started to pull a trailer (many years ago) I read several articles on it. One of the major suggestions was not to exceed 1/3 of the bikes GVW. I think this would put the trailer loaded weight in the 300 to 350 lb. area. My Bushtec weights about 125 lbs. and my load is about 200 lbs. giving me a 325 lb. load to pull and STOP. Thats all I want behind me. I think a camping trailer would be at least another 100 lbs. or more on top of that. .My first trailer was home made and worked very well. My second was an Escapade which I found hard to pack. Tongue weight was heavy to start with before loading and I had to "dig" to get items packed in the front. I like the Bushtec the best. With the lid open everything packed is exposed and I don't have to dig for items.

·
Registered
258 Posts
We had a 97 Kwik Kamp and last year bought a new Windward. I would not have it any other way. I have the trailer set up the way I want it and I know I am going to get a good nights sleep when I am in it. Motel beds are to hard and I am never sure how I am going to sleep. Plus, I can set up my trailer in a campground faster than getting a room and getting all my stuff to the room.

I know people that only motel and I know a lot of people that camp. It seems to be a lot more fun when camping, not to mention cheaper.

R

·
0 Posts
trailer

I have over 60,000 miles towing a kwik camp it sets up in about 3 mins, its been great ,the only way to go, paid for itself many times over and i can get close to what i paid for it new.

·
Registered
652 Posts
For us a tent and cargo trailer works great.
We like to take a lot of stuff and want lots of space.
Colman stove and grill, lights, queen bed and boxspring, comfy chairs, table, radio, MD player and speakers, mats, carpet for the tent, heater or fan, electic air pump, fire logs for when there is no wood or it is wet, coffee pot (nothing like the smell of fresh pirked cofee) and beans and bacon in the great outdoors, and a very large tent. This one is 120X108 with 72 head space at the side walls.
Just what is right for us.
photos at http://www.warbirdbob.com/camping.htm

·
Registered
143 Posts
We have a Bunkhouse, and love it. Loads of room, both cargo and sleeping/dressing. Pulls like it's not there and stops easy, even fully loaded at approx 500 lbs. The best thing, is it sets up and is usuable in under a minute, with practice. Fully staked down, bed made and drinking a cool one in under 3 minutes.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have cargo trailer and friends have camping tent trailers.
For camping, the tent trailer is of course, the best. The cargo trailer will get by but more work setting up and packing up.
For moteling, touring, and shopping the cargo trailer is best. The camp trailer is less convenient and is often left home while bike is ridden double up and often overloaded.
So, what are you going to use trailer for the most often?
I am firm believer in using cargo trailer often to avoid being seriously overloaded when riding double, and not just for camping. It is actually very difficult to travel even only one night riding double without being overloaded
I would not be without a tent trailer if I camped more then a couple days at a time, especially packing up every day.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Buck Yellow Wing, . . . . try this web site:

http://www.leesurelite.com/bike.htm

They are located in Ossoyos, B.C. Canada, right across the border from Oroville, Washington (center of the state). This is also the location of the big GoldWing Can-Am Rally each year in mid June.

My buddy from Post Falls, Id. bought one of these trailers two years ago. I rode up to the factory with him to pick it up. I was very impressed with it's quality. I am a stickler for quality. Example, the fabric of the tent is heavy UV protected Boat Canvas. The claim is that you can set the tent up in a mear 6 seconds. :shock: :roll:

Well, with everything all buttoned up. I said "Go" as I timed him with my watch. It actually took just a scoosh under 6 seconds. It also has an attachment that allows the trailer to be placed up-right (tongue pointing straight up) and moved around on wheels. This is great for storing in a garage without taking up much room. Then you can get awnnings for both sides of the tent to increase its size. And it is very light and easy to pull. Check out the web site for yourself. :)

Just another idea and it would be a great ride from where you live to pick one up. HappyTrails. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts