GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in purchasing a camping trailer. I have looked at the Bunkhouse, Timeout and Windward trailers. Just wanted opinions on these or other trailers that may be available.

:yw1:

·
Registered
143 Posts
We have the Bunkhouse (see below). Lots of room, lots of storage, pulls like it's not there (luckly I can see it in the mirrors). If I could change anything, I'd make the cargo area an inch deeper, so i could carry my cooler in it. I carry the cooler on the tongue, but when we're going out for just the weekend, I'd rather not have the weight of the cooler on the tongue.

A friend of mine just ordered an Aspen Classic, http://www.trailmasterinc.com/campers.html, which is about the same as the Bunkhouse. He got a real good deal, so you may check into the Aspen, too.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
A lot of nice ones to choose from these days, Good Luck !!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am saving up my money for a Leasure Lite. I have compared all the others and for ease of set up and little to no extra effort to just open up and get in its worth it to me.

Saw one demonstrated and it really took 6 seconds to open up. I set it up myself and I have bad shoulders and a bad wrist and it was no problem. You are not on the ground.

If it's almost starting to storm up and you just get to a rest stop and can set up in less than 6 seconds and spend 1 or 2 minutes covering your bike then jump into your waterproof tent and watch the rain pelt down while eating cheetos and drinking a pepsi now that's happy.

Buck Yellow Wing 8)

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
First one I had was a Bunkhouse. Nice trailer, lots of good features. But is was an older one that did not have a dressing room, and I did not like the way the cover was over the camper - rubber rope around the perimiter. Tent material is really light, but had an add-a-room.

Now have a KwikKamp, tent material a lot heavier, dont have to take the cover off to access the interior, far far better wiring that the bunkhouse with their butt connectors and wire taps. Much better quality than the Bunkhouse. But they went belly up a couple of years ago.

Next one will be a Rollahome.

http://www.rollahome.com/index.asp?PageId=619

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Buck Yellow Wing said:
...Leasure Lite... If it's almost starting to storm up and you just get to a rest stop and can set up in less than 6 seconds
There is some fantasy to this, because you will be directed to leave by a LEO :roll:

At 255lb w/ a queen sized bed for the Excel car version, opens up like a pop-up book, Lees-ure Lite is my choice.

The links are aging (QuickSilver is no more for example) Camper Trailers

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a Sportcamper by Elite. They are no longer in business. I rewired the entire trailer after I bought it last summer. There were 19 scotchlocks in the wiring. It is very similar to the Lees-ure Lite. It pulls quite well, but the tongue weight is pretty high once you put a cooler on the tongue. It sets up quickly, but internal storage is virtually nonexistant. I carry all of our camping gear on top. It is covered with the fitted snap on canvas top. If you have to unload gear off the top before you set up, the 6 second setup just turned into several minutes. LMO. I've pulled it through several thunderstorms and everything has stayed dry. Overall, I am happy with the trailer. I just wanted to advise you of some of the shortcomings you may not notice when in the buying frenzy.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
salyzyn said:
Buck Yellow Wing said:
...Leasure Lite... If it's almost starting to storm up and you just get to a rest stop and can set up in less than 6 seconds
There is some fantasy to this, because you will be directed to leave by a LEO :roll:
Odd, I have stayed overnight from Maine to Florida to Arizona and have NEVER been asked to leave a rest area. Been camping for a bunch of years and find that in the evening every rest area is chock full of folks sleeping in cars, motorhomes, trailers.. I can't believe a LEO would bust a motorcyclist that was tired and needed a place to rest or get out of the weather...But, I have been wrong before !!

·
Registered
149 Posts
We had an older Kompct Kamp and sold at WOTS and bought a BunkHouse. Anybody that says they can't tell the trailer is back there.... should not be towing a trailer. I had many people tell me this before I towed for the first time. One reason I chose the Bunk House is for the available brake system. The trailer We bought did not have the brakes installed but I am taking it to the factory this spring to have that done. We intend to travel from Michigan to Galcier Park this summer and will be loaded for 3 weeks of travel, and I want all the braking power I can get. The trailer tracks very well and the 1800 does a fantastic job of towing it. I have towed trailers with pick ups and motorhomes most of my life and all the same principles apply to towing with the bike. Loading the trailer properly, keeping tires inflated, leaving extra room in front of you in case of an emergency stop. The Bunk house allows access the storage area whether the tent is open or not, further more you don't have to trip over all your gear when the tent is open. The incredibly quick set up times that are advertised by most camper builders are a little deceptive. They don't include time for leveling, disconnecting from the bike, if you choose, staking the tent to the ground etc.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
Anyone have suggestions for quick set up tents to carry in regular non camping trailers?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
laen said:
Anyone have suggestions for quick set up tents to carry in regular non camping trailers?
Look at any of the camping stores (on line or brick and mortar) and go to the backpacking section. That's where the stuff that folds up really small and light will be.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
LD_RIDER said:
salyzyn said:
[quote="Buck Yellow Wing":3fj1i07z]...Leasure Lite... If it's almost starting to storm up and you just get to a rest stop and can set up in less than 6 seconds
Odd, I have stayed overnight from Maine to Florida to Arizona and have NEVER been asked to leave a rest area. Been camping for a bunch of years and find that in the evening every rest area is chock full of folks sleeping in cars, motorhomes, trailers.. I can't believe a LEO would bust a motorcyclist that was tired and needed a place to rest or get out of the weather...But, I have been wrong before !![/quote:3fj1i07z]

That's the problem with anecdotal experience. It just hasn't happened to you yet.

We've been kicked out of rest stops at 2-3 in the morning. Been hassled about 30% of the times we tried it.

We don't do it anymore, no matter how tired or how bad the weather is. Packing back up and moving on is a lot harder than just keeping going.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
laen said:
Yes, Apachetents.com...I have the two man version and it is pricey but very well built and easy to setup or take down. Check out the video on their web site.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I am all trailered out right now.

Now, if Tom Finch would build a camper on his frame that also allowed me to add a dog or two on special occassions .... maybe I could justify owning TWO trailers.

·
Road Warrior
1,322 Posts
My husband and I have the large bunkhouse and we really love it when we are traveling together. I pulled it first with the 1500 and now with the 1800. It is a heavy trailer compared to a lot of the others, esp if you fill the cargo area. I think it has something like 26 cubic feet of storage, plus a zipper pocket for lawn chairs in the vinal cover.

You will know it is back there, but I have never had any problems with towing it. This is my 2nd bunkhouse, I let the first one push me over a couple of times when I was stopped going down hill and forgot to engage the brake the whole time. I learned my lesson quick. It was also the first trailer I had ever towed.

It really effects your gas mileage, esp if you like to ride at the limits or above out west. Setup is pretty simple esp. with two people. When I am by myself I just take a tent now,esp when I am at a new place everynight.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I have a leasure lite and like it alot. Just a few seconds to set up and a couple minutes to take down. Weighs a little over 300lbs loaded with ice chest and all cooking supplies and food ready to hit the road.

PS pulls great.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts