GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an opportunity to look at the trailer that Can Am is selling for the Spyders. It appears to be a very nice unit with great suspension. The trailer has two lids (fore and aft) that are actuated via levers at the rear of the trailer. The interior is compartmentalized by netting. The suspension is a trailing arm design with coil spring over shock. The shock towers terminate at the top to the suspension framework much like the Hannigan and not into the trailer body like the Escapade. It sells for approx. $3200. Check it out.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It looks like a great trailer. My only problem with it is opening the lid if it's wet. All the water on it will go into the trailer and on your belongings.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,573 Posts
I seen the 2011 Can Am trailer at Daytona Bike week and they fixed the problem with the rain water getting into the trailer with the newer models by putting a gutter around the opening so the water won't flow into the trailer.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Yea...I got a letter from CanAm telling me I can go to our local dealer and get the fix for mine. They call it a "Rain Water Management System" and its part of their "continual improvement process". From what I gather, its a rubber thingy that slips onto the leading edge of the lid.

I haven't had my pants on fire to go pick one up as the rain water thing isn't that big an issue. I do, however, appreciate the offer.

All in all, its a nice little trailer and they went down in price since their release...that doesn't happen too often. I use mine as a dedicated camping trailer...stays loaded and ready to go at all times.

Z

·
Administrator
3,725 Posts
Yea...I got a letter from CanAm telling me I can go to our local dealer and get the fix for mine. They call it a "Rain Water Management System" and its part of their "continual improvement process". From what I gather, its a rubber thingy that slips onto the leading edge of the lid.

I haven't had my pants on fire to go pick one up as the rain water thing isn't that big an issue. I do, however, appreciate the offer.

All in all, its a nice little trailer and they went down in price since their release...that doesn't happen too often. I use mine as a dedicated camping trailer...stays loaded and ready to go at all times.

Z
Tims, have you picked up your latest project from Tom yet?

Glen

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
It looks like a great trailer. My only problem with it is opening the lid if it's wet. All the water on it will go into the trailer and on your belongings.
Nope...they installed basically a drain pan, so the water drips into the pan not into the trailer and onto your stuf.

The pan drains via a tube that empties out through the right wheel well

Saw this at Americade last summer

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Tims, have you picked up your latest project from Tom yet?

Glen
Glen,

Not yet. He lacked a little bit of hardware, etc. before TTT but was close. I mentioned then that he should pull off mine so he could get Len's finished up as I already had one to pull to TTT. I haven't heard anymore about it nor inquired. I've been bogged down trying to get the matching bike finished up. Last night, I got to make a mid-night run on it to Waffle House...felt good to have it back on the road....temporarily. I just finished up with the "front area" of the bike, the "rear area" is done and will be tackling the "mid area" in the next few days. I've been working on this bike since last December...it has 1,200 miles on it.

When I go to get the new trailer, I'm going to drop off my current trailer as it has a little bit of a paint bonding issue on the lid that needs to fixed. Therefore, another round trip a little later, as well.

I plan to go to Barber's in Birmingham, AL for their 7th annual Vintage Motorcycle Festival (I went to the first 6) next weekend to visit with my racing buddies and then, I have a "tribute" in-state Saddlesore 1000 (somebody in all 50 states is doing one that day) to ride the following weekend. My buddy John & I are going to have 3 or 4 IronButt newbies with us on that ride so that will be interesting as one of the bikes has a 100-120 mile range per tank.

Somewhere in all this, I hope to work in a ride to Spring Branch to haul the new trailer back to start the modification phase on it. I figure it wiil take about two months to get it completed if I don't have to go back to Indonesia.

It, like the bike, is going to be awesome, if I may say so myself. It's been a hell of a lot of labor and a few coins but now I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and am getting excited about this project.

To get back on topic, this trailer and contents weighed 560 lbs total and pulled fine over almost every mountain range in the country in one week.

Highway 12/24 in South Utah

Cheif Joseph...

Beartooth...

Devil's Tower..

Grand Canyon...

Eureka Springs, AR...

Cherola Skyway...

Deal's Gap...

(Alpine) Helen, GA...

Po-Dunk, Mississippi...

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Z

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dang Zack, that little trailer has been around the block a few times!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hitch issue

The problem I had pulling my friends was with the hitch. On this trailer the hitch does not swivel or turn when a motorcycle leans over. The Spider does not lean. When I turned tight you could feel it jerking you around.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem I had pulling my friends was with the hitch. On this trailer the hitch does not swivel or turn when a motorcycle leans over. The Spider does not lean. When I turned tight you could feel it jerking you around.
That sounds like the neck on the ball that you used to pull it with was not tall enough. The fact that it did not have a swivel is not important. Many trailers are pulled without the swivel.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
That sounds like the neck on the ball that you used to pull it with was not tall enough. The fact that it did not have a swivel is not important. Many trailers are pulled without the swivel.

I agree. Mine has a standard coupler and leaning is no issue. The CanAm may not be the premier trailer but it ain't that shabby. I would investigate that before I pull it again. A binding scenario could put you in a bad situation quickly. I learned quick to take a long, thorough look at any hook-up I put together. There is little room for compromise when setting up a two-wheeled vehicle to tow anything. With a proper ball/coupler combination (on a trailer not prone to flipping), you have all the swivel you need. If it is prone to flipping, I'm not pulling it anyway.

I wasn't sad to see the Spyder go...you live and learn.

The "issues" I had with the CanAm is the slightly heavier weight, cargo area configuration (deep...stuff stacked on top of stuff), slight bobble when passing 18-wheelers and mainly, aerodynamic drag/fuel consumption at speed (even empty).

Z

·
Registered
19,260 Posts

good looking trailer and bike:congrats:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Can Am can do

I've looked at this trailer and had a deal for a black one, was going to have it painted to match bike, for $3,000 from a dealer in SC. I chose an Escapade but really like the Can Am and will be looking for one in the future. The constrction is top rate and the performance is second to none from what other owners tell me. I love the look and the price for a new one is better than I can find, most times, for a used top three, and you know who they are. The only draw back is the tail lights, but heck I'm willing to settle for that look at this point. I would love to hear from other Can Am trailer owners to see what they think of their rig behind the wing, or the Spyder.

Joe in VA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts