GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Leanne is looking at a 2014 Can Am Spider. The price is right. She wants a little more stability than her Wing has. The one she is looking at is white and has only 9,000 miles on it. We looked at it today and took it for a ride. How much does it cost to add a CB radio to a Spider. It is owned by an elderly gentleman that has decided to let it go.
What should we be looking out for with this machine? How difficult is it to do routine maintenance? Looking for the good and bad.
Thanks

·
Love The DCT
11,797 Posts
Leanne is looking at a 2014 Can Am Spider. The price is right. She wants a little more stability than her Wing has. The one she is looking at is white and has only 9,000 miles on it. We looked at it today and took it for a ride. How much does it cost to add a CB radio to a Spider. It is owned by an elderly gentleman that has decided to let it go.
What should we be looking out for with this machine? How difficult is it to do routine maintenance? Looking for the good and bad.
Thanks
Routine maintenance is really not that bad. Most challenging part IMO is taking the body panels off for the first time. Oil and filter changes are pretty easy once you get used to taking off the various body panels. There is this statement regarding engine oil. "To avoid damaging the clutch, do not use a motor oil meeting the API service SM or ILSACGF-4 classification. Clutch slippage will occur.

Recommendation for engine oil is this; Use the XPS SYNTHETIC BLEND OIL (SUMMER GRADE) (P/N 293 600 121) or a 5W 40 semi-synthetic (minimum)or synthetic motorcycle oil meeting the requirements for API service SL,SJ, SH or SG classification. Always check the API service label on the oil container.

Air filter replacement is every 12.000 miles. Spark plugs are every 12,000 miles or two years. This link should help you out.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/851614/Can-Am-Spyder-Rt.html?page=114#manual

Here is a great source of info.

http://lamonstergarage.com/

:doorag:

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
Seems like most wing owners don’t like the Spyder’s.
If I was buying a trike it most likely would be the Three cylinder Spyder, actually took a test ride on one a few months ago and thought it was great. It’s very comfortable for me and the Spyder’s come standard with power steering, I don’t think there is any other trike out there built with power steering. I would not recommend buying the older twin cylinder Spyder’s, they have less horsepower and use considerably more gas.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Thanks
Looking at them right now myself. Also joined the "spyderlovers" forum to see what their owners have to say and ask questions.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
677 Posts
Murf, you have done your homework, I recall our discussion on the RT. Yeah, I've been chasing the Spyder on spyderlovers, You Tube, and most other sources for almost 3 years now. Can't seem to pull the trigger for a variety of reasons, having said that, there are many positive sides to the Spyder RT (Touring Machine). The F3T is also a fine machine, just more of a sport touring machine, doesn't fit me.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Looking at them right now myself. Also joined the "spyderlovers" forum to see what their owners have to say and ask questions.
Larry (greyhound) looks like maybe we'll both be riding trikes :wink2:

last June I did test ride one, myself at Americade, I got to admit that I actually loved every minute, of the ride, and it was smooth'rrrr then my current Roadsmith trike.. and best of all no chance of falling over...

We (my wife and I) ride with a group (six of us) sometimes on Sunday for a lunch.... two can am's, two trikes, one two wheel'r and a sling shot. I have never heard any of the Can am's complain, infact they both love theirs...:kiss:

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Seems like most wing owners don’t like the Spyder’s.
If I was buying a trike it most likely would be the Three cylinder Spyder, actually took a test ride on one a few months ago and thought it was great. It’s very comfortable for me and the Spyder’s come standard with power steering, I don’t think there is any other trike out there built with power steering. I would not recommend buying the older twin cylinder Spyder’s, they have less horsepower and use considerably more gas.
Well I'll qualify that... I've owned the V-twin 998 and presently, for the last two years, the 3 cylinder 1330. I still ride my Goldwing and Triumph Rocket so the choice for me is riding preference to suit what I'm doing. I'm presently riding around Europe on a 5 to 6 week trip and the Spyder is my choice for this, it's simply easier and just as much fun as 2 wheels.

With regard to the V-twin, in many ways I preferred it to the 1330. Though the engine ultimately has less horse power so top speed is lower than the 998 the 998 is faster through the gears and in the mid range. This might seem unlikely at first consideration but the 998 2 cylinder revs half as fast again as the 1330 3 cylinder at the same road speed. Therefore there is the same number of firing pulses per minute at any given road speed. Since the cylinders of the 998 are pretty much 500cc each then it fires the equivalent of a 1500cc engine against the 1330cc engine.

With regard to its fuel consumption, up to 60mph there is nothing between the two - my partner rode her 1330 while I rode my 998 and at the filling station there was little difference in fueling. However, once we were cruising at 70mph and above I took almost 1lt more on a fill up of a full tank. It's not a great deal in the scheme of biking costs but it is there.

With regard to handling, the 998 is better because it uses solid front suspension bushes and so is precise, the 1330 uses rubber bushes so it's a little more plush on the ride but at the expense of precision. The 998 needs the bushes serviced by greasing using a grease gun - no biggy but it needs to be done.

The 998 also needs more body panels removed for an oil change, again, not a biggy because once learned it's only a few minute's job.

The big downer for me is the brakes of the 998, they are too small in diameter so braking performance could be much better. The 1330 has larger front wheels and correspondingly larger brakes. The rear ones are improved too.

·
Crazy Northerner
8,622 Posts
So Ken did she take it out for a road test? Do you think she will be happy when she can't blow off those Harleys in front of her?

·
Crazy Northerner
8,622 Posts
Yes, She road tested it. Enjoyed it. We are picking it up tomorrow morning.
Congratulations. I always wanted one for a winter bike. I figured snow tires all around.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Congrats.

My wife and I qualified on Spyders and Ural's with side cars from our 3-wheel endorsements.

Striking a Wing is nice and we all know about it's reliability.

BUT the Spyder was built as a trike.

It's more intuitive - just have to get used to turning more with your arms and shoulders and a lot less leaning.

Unless you do the work yourself, my mechanic says that it will be more expensive to maintain - perhaps $1K a pop here and there.

Wife and I looked at 2018 Spyder F3 Sport in all black which I could get for $16.5K out the door.

But we'll look for an F3T Limited or at least adding a passenger backrest - want the saddlebags for touring. Ride my Wing and she the F3.

We're getting close ourselves:

But in black.

·
Crazy Northerner
8,622 Posts
LHa, she'll easily blow off the Harleys, she'll have about the same power and performance as the Wing and an instant gear change too! :wink2:

Congrats to her on a good move...
That's a relief. I am sure she will be able to sleep much better knowing that.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. Sounds like you made a good choice. We will look forward to seeing it!

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Reactions: vettesherps
1 - 17 of 17 Posts