GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound weird but I just had a new set of Bridgestone tires installed replacing the origional set of Dunlops and I have noticed a definate change. When I'm riding and there is a seam in the rode my Dunlops would get slightly hung up in the seam and I was totally aware of it. The Stones on the other hand for some reason don't and it is a pleasure to not have to deal with that. Am I crazy or has anyone else had this experience?? :shock: Greg

·
Chard Member
12,964 Posts
Am I crazy
Well I hate to break the news to you Greg, but yes, you might be a little crazy! LOL...

On a more serious note, you shouldn't notice much difference since both front tires have the center grooves. Maybe it's just nice having new shoes on the Wing! :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
spine60 said:
The Stones on the other hand for some reason don't and it is a pleasure to not have to deal with that. Am I crazy or has anyone else had this experience??
I disagree with Red, the 'stones are definitely better at handling tar-snakes. Do a search on "tar snakes" and read what others have also said.

People who have never used the G709 don't realize what they are missing so tend to doubt the comfort afforded by the 'stones compared to the crappy behavior of everything else on the front.

I will never put anything else on my 2001, front or rear.

Dave

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I'm in Love with my new Stones! A much smoother ride and quiet too! I didn't know how bad the "Lops" 250 were.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Well, there are no E3s for a while but I have a set that is 9 weeks old and I bought a second set too! Those two sets ought to be good for a year, since I usually do about 35,000 to 45,000 per year.

I do not feel tar snakes on the E3 like I did with the original Bridgesones.

I have not tried the new Bridgestones but the OEM Stones on the 01 wing were so frightening that I may never use any Bridgestones again.

I always pull the Tailwind trailer, so all miles are that way. I changed the E3 70 tires before going to Harrison at 23,000 miles and there was rubber left, quite a bit more on the back than the front. They are noisy.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I too noticed a big difference in the road seams and also tar snakes since going from the Dunlops to the Stones. They both used to make me nervous but not anymore and I can hardly notice them at all.

My theory is that it all revolves around the center tread groove on the front tire. The Dunlops had a straight line groove down the center but with the Stones, the center groove is staggered, and to me makes the difference.

Rick

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had four sets of Dunlops over the years on both a 1500 and 1800. Now have 709/704 bridgestones for about 3000 miles and they are definately my choice.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tom I didn't want to bring this up but when they strike Q.C.may
and probably does suffer. Just before they leave employees trash
work. Hope that didn't effect the tires. If this makes you uneasy you
could sell them to me. " Just teasing"

·
Registered
791 Posts
I installed a Bridgestne front tire a few months ago, replacing the E3s that were on there and noticed the same thing. They don't seemed to fazed by tar snakes. With the E-3s even dry snakes cause the front end to wiggle. Its a big plus for the Bridgestones but I still prefer the E-3s in the wet. Not enough miles to compare tread life yet.

Pete

·
Registered
228 Posts
Spine:

No you're not crazy. I finally got a chance to compare the ride between some new E3's and Stones. (I've got Stones on my bike) Bottom line; I very much prefer the Stones. Better than the E3's all around.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I disagree with Red, the 'stones are definitely better at handling tar-snakes. Do a search on "tar snakes" and read what others have also said.
Listen, as much as I love the Stone's and especially the G709 compared to the other choices, when it comes to a "tar snakes" and riding a motorcycle over them, regardless of the tires you have on, you have a potentially serious problem. For this particular road hazard, I don't feel one tire brand is going to make any meaningful difference it terms of grip or additional safety. It just isn't in the cards with what is actually going on between the tire, the tar and the road below the tar. You are more than likely not going to have any traction or grip (traction on slipping tar???) and you're most likely going to slip.

Now if you want to debate the same question on difference of tire brands in rain and wet surfaces, then I'm right there with you and the Stones are a far better choice, most especially any of the Dunlop's.

DaleC

·
Registered
791 Posts
Dale, your argument only applies to melted tar snakes which I am sure we have all experienced feel like grease. What some of are saying is that the E-3s react regardless of temperature or wet or dry whereas the Bridgestones only react when the tar is melted. Actually I haven't experienced any sliding yet regardless of temperature with the Stones. That doesn't mean I won't buy Dunlops again if I can't get decent milage from the Stones. The perfect tire doesn't exist yet. Its just a bunch of trade offs.

Pete

·
Registered
872 Posts
I agree about the old 'Stones being deadly on tarsnakes. I had the OEM 'Stones on my '01 and a tarsnake almost dumped the bike. Scared the bejessus out of me.

I later put the new 'Stones on and have noticed a big differance not only with tarsnakes, but a huge differance on wet roads.

·
Registered
977 Posts
My E-3s were definitely bad on the tar snakes. Replaced them @ 11,000 miles with the bridgestones 850/851. Just got the bridgestones on today. Very quiet when compared to the cupped E-3s.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts