GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from
an ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your Pin # in reverse.

For example if your pin number is 1234 then you would put in 4321. The ATM recognizes
that your pin number is backwards from the ATM card you placed in the machine.

The machine will still give you the money you requested, but unknown to the robber,
the police will be immediately dispatched to help you.

This information was recently broadcasted on TV and it states that it is seldom used
because people don't know it exists.

·
Registered
254 Posts
PIN

I checked it out on Snopes and they say it is not true!!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Same here. False!

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
My bank offers a "panic code" that will do that function. Danged if I can remember my code though.
My home security system has a code for that too. Good idea.

It would be even better if the money that came out also had a chemical marking agent on it that would stain a person's hands in a few hours so that the perp could be litterally caught red-handed afterward.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If I could only count how many times I was forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM machine

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Wouldnt help me...I live about 110 miles from my nearest branch.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I was once forced, by thieves, to write a check. I wrote it for more than was in my account. When they tried to cash it, they were charged an overdraft fee and were arrested. You can check it on Snopes.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Reversing your pin number to summon help is something typical of many home alarms. IE, Say an intruder caught my wife at the front door to our home and forced her to turn off the alarm. If She enters her code backwards it will shut down the alrm system as it typically would but the alarm company receives a Hostage alarm. I know the system works, my inlaws 10 year old did this by accident and ended up with the house surrounded by law enforcement.

·
Registered
792 Posts
What's a ATM?????? I plan ahead and if I don't to bad for me.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Everytime I enter any number other than the correct PIN, nothing happens. Unless I do it twice and then something happens, the danged machine eats the card!

Now you have to go in the bank and get new card and new PIN. Now if you can't remember the first PIN how do they expect you to remember the second?

Why are you worried about robbers, I just want to get my money!

·
Registered
311 Posts
JR&JR said:
:shock: My plans usually include a trip to the ATM.

W

·
0 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
It would not affect me very much... i never had a PIN number nor do I want one.....

cosmic
Now here's a couple of smart guys that don't get suck-in those must-have features that the banks always want you to buy into, then charge a fee when you don't play by their rules.

P.S.
My son and daughter-in-law work at a large national known bank, and they tell me 53% of the profit their bank makes are from "CUSTOMER FEES".

·
Registered
154 Posts
ziggystyles, plant a tree,and you will have lots of branches close by :D

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
bigdog9586 said:
Don't you live that far from anything? :lol: :lol:
================
ziggystyles said:
Wouldnt help me...I live about 110 miles from my nearest branch.
Yeah pretty much...every town around worth going to is about 100 miles in either direction....nothing really south of us. Kinda stunk when my first check was written....had to drive to casper to deposit it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Don't use ATM's and don't have a PIN, have no use for them at all. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts