GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a "new to me" 2004 GW ABS. I came from a low tech non-ABS, carbed ST1100 and my GF and I used Cardo systems for bike to bike comm, phone and entertainment. Work slick and allows me to listen to podcasts and book and for her to listen to music. We still like the system. As a result, I do not use the radio or CB.

Can I remove the radio and CB without screwing up the ABS? Is the radio integrated into anything else? Has anyone ever seen a kit to bland the buttons or a replacement air cleaner cover?

Thanks, Rex in Phoenix

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
"Can I remove the radio and CB without screwing up the ABS?"

Yes...

"Is the radio integrated into anything else?"

...the intercom is a function of the audio circuits internal to the radio...

"Has anyone ever seen a kit to bland the buttons or a replacement air cleaner cover?"

...and nope, not that I have ever seen.

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
Can I remove the radio and CB without screwing up the ABS? Is the radio integrated into anything else? Has anyone ever seen a kit to bland the buttons or a replacement air cleaner cover?

Thanks, Rex in Phoenix
Yes ... to test, remove the shelter and go for a test ride. The radio gets disconnected when the shelter is removed. 5th gens do not come with CBs, they are all added after, so that system can be eliminated.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Why not just turn the radio off comletely? You will still have the intercom if needed and you will still have the weather channels if needed. I never thought I'd use the weather stations, but coming back from Wing Ding last year, we headed SE to Franklin, NC and after watching the weather and seeing the forecasts, we changed our route to avoid Hurricane Florence winds and rain. I used it to help dodge all the rain storms headed back west and south to Texas as well. Kept my g/f and I dry for the majority of the ride. I say leave the radio there for emergency and just turn it off if you don't want to hear it. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You could remove the CB and sell it. My first wing came with one and I only used it to listen to truckers in a traffic jam once or twice.

You can buy a Sena BT dongle to allow you bike audio system to connect to your BT headsets. I did and we use it occasionally. Mostly so we can listen to local radio stations and the weather band. Good for commuting traffic and weather reports.

That being said, we mostly just use the BT headsets to talk to each other and Pandora on our phones. Use the bike audio systems through the speakers around town.

If you don't use the factory radio I would recommend turning it on occasionally and working the buttons to keep them from sticking. A buddy never uses his audio system on his wing and we turned it on. It was on full volume and we couldn't turn it off. Buttons were stuck!

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts