GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having a new tire put on today ,what do i do with the (brand new) old tire with a nail in the tread ?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
joded,

Yes, you CAN patch a rear tire. Many factors need to be considered to determine if it is a WISE idea. It's more of a question of if you SHOULD patch the rear tire.

Is the cord punctured or cut (gashed)?
Is the puncture on the sidewall, near the sidewall or in the meat of the tread?
How much tread is still on the tire?
Do you subject the tire to heavy loads?
Do you routinely travel at high speeds?
Do you pretty much obey the speed limits?
Do you want to get some more miles out of this tire?
Are you trying to get by until payday?
Are you trying to get by until your new tire is available?

A properly installed patch (interior, vulcanized) can give you good service and last a long time.

Now we have to ask if YOU are willing to ride on that every so slightly WEAKENED tire.

If I could, I would replace it. It costs a bit more than a good repair, but it might be worth it. Your call.

==================================

The "old" tire. If there is a lot of tread left and it COULD be repaired, I would take it home.

It might come in handy for you or another rider that could need an emergency replacement. Some of us ride out bikes to work everyday, on city streets and we might need that to bridge the gap until the new tire can be installed. Just a thought. Remember, don't get it repaired now, just save it.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I would never throw out a good tire in today's climate of shakey tire supply. A nail will not do enough damage to the structure to worry about.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I also had new Metzelers on my bike when I got a nail ( a small nail) in the middle of the rear tire.....The bike shop said they could " Patch/plug" per Metzeler.....I had them take the tire off and patch/plug it and I kept it as a spare because of this stinking tire shortage,,,at the same time I bought a new Metz and had that put on,,,,My wife made me do it......They told me that I should not go over 80 mph for long periods of time on the plugged tire,,,,,,Any way the answer to your question....is....YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
im having a new tire put on today ,what do i do with the (brand new) old tire with a nail in the tread ?
Regardless of what you hear or what advise you get, it is your butt, your bike, and your decision. What are you comfortable with? Some would wrap it in duct tape and ride on, some would patch or plug it and ride on, and some would toss it, put on a new one and ride on.

Do what you feel is best for you. And ignore the rest of the advise - it is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I have plugged a few rear tires on my wings using a good plug from safety seal not a commercial company and they cost some. But then I was also a mechanic for 20 years and have plenty exp with these and tires. Do what keeps you in yer comfort zone, send me the tire and I will put it to use in the catfish pond as structure :)

·
Registered
21,057 Posts
i have patched a few motorcycle tires and never had any trouble, but what do i know

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
If your rear tire looks like this one, I would replace it.

This one only had about 3500 miles on it. I felt fortunate that I found it when I did. I was lucky. Would it have blown out? Who can say for sure?

I replaced it anyway and then I took a razor blade and completely ruined the sidewall so no one else would be able to take a chance with it.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I agree. That tire is trash.

I would consider a patch on a small puncture in the center of the tread. But not this one.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Take your tire to the local recycle center. :D

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
5Ross said:
If your rear tire looks like this one, I would replace it.

This one only had about 3500 miles on it. I felt fortunate that I found it when I did. I was lucky. Would it have blown out? Who can say for sure?

I replaced it anyway and then I took a razor blade and completely ruined the sidewall so no one else would be able to take a chance with it.

you found my screw driver.....I want it back please!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts