GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if there is any way I can upload a PDF file to the forum, and then post a thread with a link to that PDF file so that other members can download or view it?

I recently completed an install of:
- Fuzeblocks FZ-1 fuse panel in trunk's CB-CD cavity,
- mounted on a lift-up support panel tray in the cavity,
- along with a 12V accessory power socket on the tray,
- with a 3-socket power adapter in the main trunk,
- that can be easily stashed in the cavity when not in use,
- plus a fabrication of cheap-cost common ground block,
- and similar common hot block
- with step-by-step annotated pics, template diagram, critique of the FZ-1 fuse panel's niceties and limitations.

My own mod certainly isn't "uniquely original" at all, since I obtained some helpful ideas and advice from Brian Fenner and Fred Harmon, both of whom I credit and thank. The info is simply a presentation of what one person (I) did, modifying ideas for me, and had results work out well enough for my own needs and preferences. I've obtained so much helpful info and advice from this forum I just wanna try to give something back to anyone who may have an interest.

I put the info in a PDF file format to insure readability and compatability on just about any type of PC operating system platform. Primarily due to inclusion of lots of large-scale decent-resolution pics, the document content is 13 pages in length, and file size is 3.71 megabytes.

I could email it upon requests to individual members, but it would be easier if I could just post it in a thread. Not sure if there are board limitations on file sizes I can upload, not sure exactly how to go about doing so "if can do". So if anyone has any interest and can give some 'how-to-advices", I'd appreciate that.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mcrider, I had the same problem when I wrote up my install of speakers. I made it into a doc (5MB pdf) as opposed to a web page so that people could save it on their computer plus it is easy to print out if you want to take it out into the garage with you.

I did not even try the attachment to a post since it says the max size is 20KB :confused:. So, I first shared it on my box.net account, but some said it wants to put to much cookie and other junk on their computer when they try to download it. So, I also posted it on my own website. The only problem with it is that I don't know how long I will have that site up since it is an "extra" site that I am using for various things and may not want to pay to keep it running in the future. If, however, you want to post your article on my site, pm me and I would be glad to get it up there for you, but, as I said, I am not sure how long my site will exist.

What would be great is if we could get an exemption from file size limit or else have a downloads area on the board (perhaps for members only) where we could get these "How-To" type articles posted :idea:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Please upload it to megaupload.com
It's free for <100MB files

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replies.

Hunzee - can't use paperclip attachment. Upload file size exceeds the forum's very small file upload size limit.

Resque2: Thanks a bunch for the tip re what I thought would be a Fab free upload / hosting site, but I have a lotta reservations about using that site.

I registered as a free membership, got account set up. I uploaded my pdf file to the megaupload site. Then I tried to test download my own uploaded file.

Never in my life have a seen a site whose "captcha" signs are so illegible. (I'm talking about the little display of 4 characters that you have to manually type in matching characters to enable the desired function, to assure the site you're not a "robot" taking advantage of their svc). Those character symbols are darn near undecipherable in appearance.

I'm absolutely convinced they make them as poorly-designed and near-indecipherable as they are as a PITA factor to induce site users and visitors to download and use their proproetary "megauploader" upload-download & integrated File Manager program. Don't think I'm too inclined to download & install relatively-unknown-to-me software programs that might self-integrate into & modify my pre-existing file managament programs on my PC.

I'll "consider" using this if I can't find a better free hosting site, but I don't think I'd wanna subject forum members to that much of a PITA level at all.

I have late model high-end PC & monitor equipment, but those captcha symbols were ridiculously illegible and near-indecipherable. Even when I was using a frickin' magnifying glass held up to the screen in an effort to read the dang things !

Took me 4 tries to "guesstimate" the correct symbols just to get membership signup completed. Then after I uploaded my file, and making sure I was using the correct plain-text URL they assigned to my upload, the file displayed onscreen was NOT my own . . .

So my confidence level in that site is not extraordinarily high . . . but I DO thank you for your reply & intended assistance here.

W

·
0 Posts
Email it to me at WhiteBird00 at bellsouth.net and I'll host it on my server here. Then you can just post a link to it in your post.

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
Make it as a new post in the "how to" forum.

While composing, use the paper clip "attachment" icon.

Load your pdf.

Have Bartman toss it if it doesn't contain pics.
Good idea! Sounds like your document would be an excellent addition to the "How To" board.

Before posting on the "How To" board, be sure to read these guidelines LaMonster created. Not everyone reads the guidelines before posting on that board and then they can't understand why their posts are moved or deleted. ;)

How To Board Guidelines

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Whitebird

Email it to me at WhiteBird00 at bellsouth.net and I'll host it on my server here. Then you can just post a link to it in your post.
WhiteBird00, thanks very much for that very kindly offer. I have emailed the PDF file to you at your bellsouth address.

Not sure what follows next. Will you be emailing me or PMing me with a URL address link to post in a new thread?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you to all repliers. You guys are just great & the kindly assistance is very appreciated.

Here's the link to the PDF file, Courtesy Of and Special Thanks to Whitebird00 :

Hope the info will be useful - helpful.

http://www.fl1v.org/gl1800/mcrider4eva5491.pdf

1 - 10 of 10 Posts