GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
…….without letting someone that's just looking to take my bike for a test ride??

Would that hurt the sales if I just said NO?
I just don't want to deal with copying their drivers licenses or them giving me their first born,
as that ride off.

Your Opinion is important here.

Cheers!

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
334 Posts
I wouldn't let anyone test ride unless you have cash in your hand. If they crash it they could walk away and leave you with a big mess. Just not worth it.
I sold my VTX and the guy showed up with an envelope of cash that he gave me so I let him take it for a ride. Had no problems doing it that way. There are plenty of scammers and troublemakers out there. When I sold my Ultra Classic, five guys showed up and wanted to buy it. I told them to bring cash and meet me at the bank. They called that they were on their way but never showed up. I am figuring that if I had done the sale at home, I would have had some big trouble.

Don't take any chances.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I would give the fellow a helmet and tell him to climb aboard...and TAKE him for a ride...if he was so inclined....

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
goldwing

My first impression is to say no to test rides. That can change depending on my impression of them. Did they bring a helmet, jacket, and gloves? Is there someone with them who stays behind? Do you like the cut of their Jib?>:)

The problem you face is, what if they damage the bike. That's why so many ads say "Test rides with cash in hand and a motorcycle endorsement." This accomplishes two things, you find out if their a serious buyer or just a joy rider, and it protects you from someone crashing your bike and refusing to pay for it. Take cash, first borns as hard to sell.>:)

Tell them If they do not like the bike and it's returned to you in the exact same condition you'll refund their money. Or, offer to take them for a test ride.

In answer to your question, Yes you can sell your bike with out letting someone ride it.

Cash talks, BS walks.

Rayjoe

Looks like several people have beat me to the punch/post. I just type too slow.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
The first time my buyer rode his new bike....he loaded it onto a trailer to take 500 miles back home.

I did ride it to meet him at the bank we went to in order to complete the deal.

Don't over-think the process - especially if the buyer seems serious.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
I would give the fellow a helmet and tell him to climb aboard...and TAKE him for a ride...if he was so inclined....
What mailman said. :agree:

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
I wondered the same thing especially with the wing requiring a skilled taller rider as to th Ht and weight of the bike. Also will buyer Havana a motorcycle license probably not required in every state this quote is safest way by mailman insurance ect pretty smart mailman01>:)

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
How many people would ride on the back of a motorcycle not knowing the driver--not me
That's a good point. But, how many of us would let someone ride our motorcycle not knowing them. Not me. That's how I sold my 1984 GL1200 several years ago. The buyer loved it, but I explained that I had no protection if he dumped it on a test ride. Either he pays me first, or I take him for a ride. He understood. Took him for a hard ride - and he bought it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Always cash in hand or no test ride!

In my opinion this is the only was to go, a friend of mine was selling a nice motorcycle, a fellow shows up driving a nice truck, takes the bike for a ride, never comes back, turns out the truck was stolen, bike was recovered, stripped. Another one closer to home, the guy had a small accident, said not to worry as he was going to purchase the motorcycle, never did, in fact he sued, No, he didn't win, but I can tell you it costs time & money to defend yourself.
Cash in hand in my opinion is the way to go, and following along on another bike or following behind in a vehicle is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,581 Posts
LOL...that reminds me of the time back in the early eighties when I was at the Yamaha dealership and I wanted to buy a Seca 750. I'm at the dealership with my helmet and all my gear and I wanted to test ride it before I committed...the dealer said sure and the next thing I see is him coming out with a helmet and he was thinking that he was going to take me for a ride...I laughed in his face and told him no way I was going to ride on the back with him...well he smelled the money I had in my pocket and I could tell that he didn't like it, but he let me take the bike out for the test ride...then I bought it.

That was the only time in my life that I had a problem going for a test ride before I bought a motorcycle. A serious motorcyclist will always get a test ride. Its easy to see the difference between a serious motorcyclist and just a joy rider.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
I perfectly understand everyone’s opinions but I have never been refused a test ride on anything I was interested in buying and it’s pretty unlikely I would buy any vehicle from anyone that refused a test ride. Good luck with your sale.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm with CYCLEDUDE. The first thing going thru my mind is "what is he/she hiding?" Not an argument, just the truth. That being said, the last KTM, I bought was used. The guy offered but I didn't need to ride it. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I perfectly understand everyone’s opinions but I have never been refused a test ride on anything I was interested in buying and it’s pretty unlikely I would buy any vehicle from anyone that refused a test ride. Good luck with your sale.
I'm with CYCLEDUDE. The first thing going thru my mind is "what is he/she hiding?" Not an argument, just the truth. That being said, the last KTM, I bought was used. The guy offered but I didn't need to ride it. GOOD LUCK

Thanks fellows for your input but another question is would your insurance cover a stranger riding your bike.

Reading all your opinions here, maybe checking with Honda dealership to see how much they would offer.
I know I could do better on my own, but wouldn't have put up with the general public BS and the advertising.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
There’s absolutely no way I would ever hand anybody cash for a test drive. No test drive and any offer would reflect an auction wholesale price accordingly.

I probably wouldn't waist my time. Too many used bikes on the market to mess with it.

I see advertisements with no test drives without cash in hand all the time. I pass these by. It’s an indication to me the owner is too attached to the product in some way. I’m never interested in these.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts