GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say I was on a trip and stopped for lunch along my mapped out route.
Can I shut off my Garmin 2610, take it off the bike, lock it away, go have lunch, hook it back up and start back on my route where I left off?
My guess is I would have to "select route" and it should "find it self" and then I would go back to following it.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
George,
Mine usually finds the route by itself after stopping and being off.
On occasion I have had to tell it what route I was on. I've been really impressed at how smart and intuitive the unit is in most cases.

It probably doesn't affect the function, but I never have removed mine from the bike. So far haven't had reason to be concerned about somebody taking it. When I've had any thoughts about it, I just put my gloves or something over it to take it out of clear sight.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Stop and resume

Turning off the GPS, i.e. for lunch or a gas stop, has the same effect as removing it from the cycle - (I speak for the 2610 and the 2720) it will resume the route from its last known position. It's more seamless than the nav system in my Acura MDX. Unless you tell it to stop routing, it will assume that, even though there was an interruption in its power, you still want to continue to the previously selected destination.

Hope this helps...

B

·
0 Posts
If you had the large screen iWay 500C, the answer would be YES!

Irene (our pet name for our iWay) always knows where we have been, where we are, and where we want to go.

Sometimes though, Irene wants to go somewhere else. Which has given us some interesting rides, like the one on "Little Tater Valley Road", where we could hear the banjo playing.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.
I am getting tired of "playing" with my 2610 on the computer.
Cant wait till spring!

·
Registered
439 Posts
george I have the 2610 still learning to use it. :D I read some where if you turn it off you will loose your trip info. stuff like average speed distance etc. Like others have said it will pick up your route with very little trouble .

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Yes...you can shut it off and it will start from where you left off when you re-start the unit. You will not loose the trip info. You have to reset that to loose it.

The 2610 is an excellent GPS for the motorcycle. It does everything I want it to do...with the exception of live weather radar. But I'm not willing to spend the bucks for that.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
My 5 year old StreetPilot III and my 1 year old 2730 work the same way.

They just pick up right were you left off, or figure out that you moved and moves up to the proper place in the route accordingly.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
R.K. MA.3 George said:
Thanks for the info.
I am getting tired of "playing" with my 2610 on the computer.
Cant wait till spring!
George, can you use the unit in your vehicle? That is one way I have played around with miy iWay500c if I make any kind of trip when the weather is not suitable for riding where I live. :)

Todd

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
As the others have said, you won't lose anything by turning it off. The 2610 is a wonderful GPS on the m/c (mine's wired to be on 24/7 unless I turn it off), and I move it to the car as needed.

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts