GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon All;

I am saving my pennies for a new 04 wing with ABS. After Michigan gets out of the deep freeze I plan to call Hal for a price.

From what I hear, Hal will more than likely be the lowest, and I will probably visit his dealer in Southern Ohio.

Anyways, Will I be able to get service from my local dealer if I need it? One time I needed service on my Valkyrie and they told me that since I didn't buy it from them to call back in a 'Couple of Months'.

Can they do that? Honda can't possbily allow a dealer to turn me away for warrenty work when I didn't buy it from that dealer can they?

Thanks for the 'Heads-Up'
Brian
[email protected]

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Depends a lot on the dealer. It is a common tactic for the dealers to put you at the bottom of the list, simply because they will take care of their customers FIRST, and you bought elsewhere. On the other hand, some dealers do treat everyone the same.

You should talk to other local owners and try to find out how the local dealer does things.

I'd try to negotiate the best deal possible with a local dealer, the dealer may surprise you. I have 4 dealers within a 45 mile radius, and they get pitted against each other routinely.

So, you may spend an extra couple hundred dollars... but if your bike is off the road for a few weeks during prime time riding season, because you are at the bottom of the list with the local dealer, then you'll wish you'd spent the extra money.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Warrenty work

Dealer HAS to do warrenty work, but NO ONE can tell him WHEN to do it. If he is a real jerk, he will refuse to do the work because you bought elsewhere. Then give Honda a call. They might call dealer. He then might tell you to "bring it in about 2-3 weeks from now. That is when I can do the warrenty work". You may get lucky and have a dealer that takes warrenty work on "as it comes in" basics and then you may not. Nice to save a few bucks buying somewhere else, but it might bite you in the A** later on. If anyone says this doesn't happen, the live in a dream world. :roll:

·
Registered
979 Posts
New Bike

I have to agree with topster for the most part, If your local dealer is a respectable dealer they will do warranty work on your bike within reason :) :sw1: :sw1: :sw1: . If they give you a hard time call Honda and file a complaint I will bet they will take care of it. I work for an auto dealer and warranty work is not something you can turn down if you plan on keeping your franchise but that being said some dealers treat you like #hit over it, you dont want them fixing your bike anyway with an attitude like that. The reason some dealers hate visiting owners is it drives there warranty rate up, you see the dealers are allowed so many hours per month for warranty repair dollars from the factory if you go over the average in your zone of dealers red flags go up to the bean counters at the factory meaning an audit in extreme cases. I would personally buy one from Hal if the price is right. There are plenty of dealers willing to do the warranty end of work for you you just have to find the right one.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Depends

I almost bought my Wing from Hal as he has such great deals, and if he had a dealership closer to me I might have done it. However, I bought both my Valk and my Wing from a local dealer (Apex Sports) and get all my service (that I cannot do myself) done there. Both the sales folks and the service folks know me and treat me really great -- they know that I am a dedicated customer and will make additional purchases in the future, so we have a very mutally-respectful rapport. I could have saved a good bit by buying from HAL, but when I considered the cost of shipping or flying back to pick it up, I decided that it wasn't worth the difference. Might not have made any difference with the Service Guys if I had bought elsewhere, but I'll never know. I just take advantage of having purchased there as needed.

Next on the list: An ATV if I get in some extra work this spring. These Big Boy Toys get expensive.

NOTE: These bikes are pretty darn reliable, so they don't require a lot of dealer service, so if you can save quite a bit, you may want to go with HAL and HDL. But no matter where you buy the bike, HAL has some of the best prices on accessories, so I think you will be sending him a lot of your money like the rest of us!

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have 10 honda dealers in a 70 miles radius near me.

i recently purchsed a new wing. i did the internet search for prices and offers. found some nice prices.

then set out one day with written out the door quotes in my hand to 6 of the dealers that were the largest in the area. i spelled out what i wanted amd made sure they jnew i would buy on the spot and right now, or do a net deal when i got home.

anyhow the 6th place, a shop within 10 miles of my house, decided to sell me the last 2002 with zero miles on it. for a great price, rather than hold it till spring.

i used the net prices as a show and tell to get a great price localy. its important that the prices were printed and clearly stated that this was a bottom line out the door price.

the first thing i heard was THEY WILL ADD SETUP, FREIGHT, PAPERWORK FEE, ETC. and thats why they are cheaper.

so i did the local deal. i did get a call from a lerge dealer 50 miles away that offered to do the ecm recall work and any other warranty work i need done.

i do not worry about buying it in a far off area, because of the fact that i feel not much will go wrong anyway. but in this case there are 10 dealers in the area, someone will want to make the money.

loren

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Brian,

I bought out of Local. Yes the Local dealers gave me chit at first. I called Honda USA and pitched a bitch and filed a formal complaint.

I now get acknowledged when I walk in the dealerships and they ask me if there is anything they can do for me today.

Buy fron Hal, Buy with confidence.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Like was said above, depend on the dealer... there are some great ones out there, and there are some a-holes!

I have a great dealer in my area who can usually get me in the next day or two. For tire installs they can usually do it next day, have the bike at the shop when they open, first come first served. I am usually back on the road in an hour.

I bought my bike used, but my shop has never made an issue out of it.

Shop around, if a local dealer can come close, buy from them. If not, but you have a shop that'll not give you grief about not buying local... buy from Hal.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Bought mine out of state knowing that I would never go back for work there. I have a major dealership within 10 miles of the house that I and my 2 sons have bought 3 new bikes from and have had all service done for 5 bikes over a 10 year period (not to include oil changes and minor things). When the ECM recall came about, I went over there and was told that it would be about 90 to 120 days. Called a dealership about 150 miles away and they ordered the parts, called me back within 10 days and asked when I could get there. Next the FRAME recall. Went back to the local dealer, they told me the middle of November and I was satisfied with that. Went over there the 2nd week of November and was told March at the very earliest, but probably April or May. I asked if they were actually working from the list as I had put my name on it early in the recall. They said yes, but............, I asked if I could see the list and they refused. :x I stopped by another local dealer about 3 weeks later (probably around December 12th). They said that they did not want to tackle any frames over the holidays, would I be willing to bring it in on January 6th? Guess what guys and gals? I have a new dealer! Screw that PIG in Grapevine, Texas - better known as DFW (screw you) HONDA. :D :eek:w1:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I like what loren did, and you can get a feeling for the dealer by just talking to them. Get as much information from this board as you can and then start asking them some questions you already have the answers too! Then you 'll find out about there honesty. That says a lot in my book ! Find a local chapter also and see who they bought from and how there service is. Now is the time to find out all these details not after. :wink:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Bandit,

I like your attitude. Kind of reflects mine.

Now did you have something that you wanted to say?.... :lol: ROTFLMAO

Dawg

·
Registered
656 Posts
I got several prices on the internet from both individuals & dealers all over the country. Then I took the time to contact a couple of their customers to get testimonials that they actually got their bikes for the price advertised. With this in hand, I went to my local dealer and he matched my best offer, no problem. I was much easier than I thought, but the two guys I was dealing with went on and on about how much homework I had done. Left over new 2003 Silver non ABS, $15000 out the door. I wasn't a new customer they serviced my 750 ACE for a couple of years and I bought lots of add ons, etc. I still think it's good to support your local economy if you can.

Ronnie

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Alpster,

I could not agree with you more. However I have an edit in life, that goes like this. Making an fair profit in all 50 states is LEGAL. However, RAPE in all 50 states is Ilegal.

If your local dealer wants you to leave a thousand to fifteen hundred bucks on the table, for his best deal. Screw him (Orange Bandit made me say that "S" word). Look out Shadyside here I come.

Bulldog

·
Registered
656 Posts
Bulldog,

Please don't misunderstand. I agree with you too! I am not suggesting that you pay a premium to do business with the local dealer, just give him a chance to be competitive. I have bought tons of stuff from out of state vendors over the internet and I will continue to do so. No one should assume that you can always get a better deal over the internet. 'Caveat emptor'

God Bless the free market! Have an awesome day!

Ronnie

·
Registered
51 Posts
I paid $200.00 more for a 04 Titanium with ABS from my local POWER HOUSE dealer than Hal wants. They even delivered it for me. My arm was still in a cast.

·
Registered
824 Posts
MsippiDude® Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:03 pm
I paid $200.00 more for a 04 Titanium with ABS from my local POWER HOUSE dealer than Hal wants. They even delivered it for me. My arm was still in a cast.
If any of the local dealers had come within twice that amount, I would have bought from them! The closest was nearly $600 dollars over what I paid. I had to drive 180 miles each way and trailer the bike home. That would have been worth a dollar a mile to me to not have had to do that. But these money hungry scum bags just don't get the point.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Let's see, I take care of the customers that bought from me first and bikes from other dealers second and that makes me a bad guy? Uh . . . I don't think so. I could've bought my Wing a little cheaper 65 miles away from the house, but I got the accessories cheaper and they were installed free locally. If you have a good local dealer, take Hal's ad to him and see if he will match it, or get close. A good dealer can be an excellent asset if you have problems somewhere down the road. I've already had warranty work done on my '04. At 1000 miles the cruise control quit. The actuator for the cruise had to be replaced. Because I have a good local dealer, I got a ride home from the dealer, and a ride back to pick up the bike. Good service is valuable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My advice to you, is a good dealer is worth their weight in gold. What you first need to do is find some local bikers, and ask them where they think the good dealers are. Most guys will always tell you where the best dealer is. With that in mind, get you best price, and let the "local good guy" have a chance to match the price. Even if you do most of your own work, eventually something will require a trip to the dealer, and trust me it pays to start out on their good side. It can definitely affect your overall experience. Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
My advice to you, is a good dealer is worth their weight in gold. What you first need to do is find some local bikers, and ask them where they think the good dealers are. Most guys will always tell you where the best dealer is. With that in mind, get you best price, and let the "local good guy" have a chance to match the price. Even if you do most of your own work, eventually something will require a trip to the dealer, and trust me it pays to start out on their good side. It can definitely affect your overall experience. Good luck!

·
Registered
824 Posts
gonzowing said:
Let's see, I take care of the customers that bought from me first and bikes from other dealers second and that makes me a bad guy? Uh . . . I don't think so. I could've bought my Wing a little cheaper 65 miles away from the house, but I got the accessories cheaper and they were installed free locally. If you have a good local dealer, take Hal's ad to him and see if he will match it, or get close. A good dealer can be an excellent asset if you have problems somewhere down the road. I've already had warranty work done on my '04. At 1000 miles the cruise control quit. The actuator for the cruise had to be replaced. Because I have a good local dealer, I got a ride home from the dealer, and a ride back to pick up the bike. Good service is valuable.
I did give them the prices from the other dealers (3 to be exact) and the General Managers reaction was "We don't sell a bike below what we paid for the bike". Now I doubt that Hal is selling for below what he pays, nor is H&W Honda in Marshall, TX nor Modrell's Honda in Chickasha, OK.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts