GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1800 must have a compressor to fill the rear air shock--right? So, how can I use it to check and fill my tires?

·
Registered
584 Posts
The 1800 must have a compressor to fill the rear air shock--right? So, how can I use it to check and fill my tires?

its not an air pump its a hydraulic pump just go get you a slime compressor at walmart it will fit in the cb radio cubby with the cb when you dont need it.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
No air compressor, it is a hydraulic actuator driven by an electric motor.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
its not an air pump its a hydraulic pump just go get you a slime compressor at walmart it will fit in the cb radio cubby with the cb when you dont need it.
+1
Mine rides in my left saddlebag with the tire plugs, tools, first aid kit, etc.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
+1
Mine rides in my left saddlebag with the tire plugs, tools, first aid kit, etc.

I carry all of that stuff in one saddlebag too, but I prefer to put heavy stuff, including extra water, in the right saddlebag because when the bike is parked on the kickstand the contents of the left saddlebag put a lot of pressure on the latch. It takes a lot less pull on the saddlebag lever to open the right saddlebag and it also reduces the risk of bending or breaking the mechanism.

:thumbup:

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
First you have to own a gl1800 then you can!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I carry all of that stuff in one saddlebag too, but I prefer to put heavy stuff, including extra water, in the right saddlebag because when the bike is parked on the kickstand the contents of the left saddlebag put a lot of pressure on the latch. It takes a lot less pull on the saddlebag lever to open the right saddlebag and it also reduces the risk of bending or breaking the mechanism.

:thumbup:
:agree:

My right saddlebag has 2 spare gallons of water (1 for me and 1 to share), plastic cups, granola bars and a windbreaker.
That leaves the trunk for other stuff.

"Be Prepared." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_Motto)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Oh, you guys who don't read your owners manual are so funny!

The big dial on the left fairing is to adjust the speed difference between the front and rear wheels...If they are not equal, the ride is horrible.

·
Registered
993 Posts
:agree:I discovered that adjustment right after I learned to use the remote start feature...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Compressor?

I read a good book called Ted Simon Jupiter's travels. It was a story about his four year adventure around the world on a triumph. Great book. Anyway he way he was stranded and took a threaded fitting and screwed it into the cylinder head, took some fuel line and aired up his tire by turning the motor over! I just thought this was a great intervention considering the situation he was in. As for me Kumho run flat on the rear because of some of you wildcatters ( loving it) and a green slime compressor and some snap- on tools in the left saddle bag. Unlike other bikes I've owned the only use for the tools is to repair the hiway pegs after a hot entry into curves!

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
You are thinking the 1500, and it only was the front end that you could fill with air.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
You are thinking the 1500, and it only was the front end that you could fill with air.
my GL1100 had a compressor for BOTH front and back shocks, as well as an aux. port for filling tires, or beach toys or ...

As I recall, I got so tired of it being in the way (gas tank area) that I pulled it with intentions to mount it in the right side fairing ... and never got around to that ... I think it's still in my spares box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts