GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got Fred's DVD's, and after having watched several hours...I am sure they will give me the confidence to tackle several projects that my bike needs. I plan on doing the rear shock preload service, flushing the clutch and brakes, and changing the air filter. I also watched the video on replacing the coolant, which I also need to do.

It seems the toughest part of the job is getting under the bike to remove the reservoir tank. While not a major job...I was wondering if it would be possible to just vac out the coolant in the tank, rather than going through the effort that it takes to remove it? Might not be able to get 100%, but I feel I could get the better part of it.

My bike is a 2007 GL1800, with ABS. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I just changed my coolant last week and MityVac'd my reservoir out like others have done.

I used a cooling system vac tool also on the whole system. Vacuumed it down a few times to try and get the coolant out back there by the pump.
OEMTOOLS 24444
I ran it and blipped the throttle and added a little more.
I thought i had all the coolant in without air but added a few ounces to reservoir a couple of times after running and cooling down a couple of days.

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
102 Posts
So the 12" hose is long enough? I bet I could find something like that at Harbor Freight....
Harbor freight has them too. Works for putting the oil in the rear drive also. I looked on the web,Walmart, Home Depot, Menards, etc sell them.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
You can do it by vacuum, but the tank has crud in it that can be better cleaned when removed. Removing the tank is a simple 6mm bolt and two hose, actually only one, because not even necessary to remove the other as it can come out still hooked up. Removing the tank is not the least bit difficult, but I'm sure sucking the coolant out without removal is just fine as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have another question that I forgot in my original post. Fred protected his reservoir with a piece of metal that he wired in place...I was wondering if applying several layers of duct tape would be sufficient? I could pretty much cover the bottom and sides which should give a good cushion in case of a road debris strike.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
102 Posts
You can do it by vacuum, but the tank has crud in it that can be better cleaned when removed. Removing the tank is a simple 6mm bolt and two hose, actually only one, because not even necessary to remove the other as it can come out still hooked up. Removing the tank is not the least bit difficult, but I'm sure sucking the coolant out without removal is just fine as well.
After I broke my tank I installed a belly pan, never broke the tank again. I was not going to remove the belly pan to remove the little bit of coolant in the tank.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have another question that I forgot in my original post. Fred protected his reservoir with a piece of metal that he wired in place...I was wondering if applying several layers of duct tape would be sufficient? I could pretty much cover the bottom and sides which should give a good cushion in case of a road debris strike.

Any thoughts?
Get a belly pan. I had a strike 2 years ago that took out the tank. The belly pan is a cheap enough solution.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
JUST USE A STRAW AND SUCK AWAY ! DONT SWALLOW THOUGH !!! :surprise: AND USE PAPER STRAW NOT PLASTIC ! THAT WILL KEEP THE ENVIRO PEOPLE HAPPY ! OH GOOD LUCK . IF YA CHEW TOBACCO YOU'LL KNOW HOW TO DO WITHOUT INJESTING ANY .>:)

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I used a piece of aluminum, probable 18 gauge, and bent it to form around the bottom of the canister and part way up the sides, much like Fred's.
I used pieces of 3M double sided tape and some silicone adhesive to attach it. There are some small dents in the home made cover, but didn't get through to the canister.

I also put a cover on the oil filter. Here is the link.
https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=427

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
It seems the toughest part of the job is getting under the bike to remove the reservoir tank. While not a major job...I was wondering if it would be possible to just vac out the coolant in the tank, rather than going through the effort that it takes to remove it? Might not be able to get 100%, but I feel I could get the better part of it.

My bike is a 2007 GL1800, with ABS. Thanks for your input!
Yes ... you can suck the coolant out. However, doing so will skip an important step. The reservoir needs removed so that it can be properly inspected. Assuming the reservoir is not leaking, be sure to carefully inspect the tube-level that reservoir hose attaches too. You will probably find that it's lip is cracking. Also, inspect the reservoir hoses. At that age, most likely both reservoir hoses as well as the tube-level will need replaced.

·
Registered
678 Posts
just out of curiosity could a person drill a hole in the reservoir jug and drain it then flush it with water to clean it and then put a tight rubber plug with a lip on it that would seal and not come out by itself and you can remove it when you do the antifreeze again just a thought.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

Any thoughts?
Belly pan is a cheap solution. I think mine was about 65 bucks. It is a two piece which is nice when it is time to change the oil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts