GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lovely sweetheart gave me a Garman gpsmap 60, and I already own and use a 276C with MapSource. I tried calling Garmin but they're closed for the holiday.

Can I load maps into the gpsmap 60 using the MapSource program that is authorized for my 276C? I don't have the unit with me right now, so I can't just try it to see if it works.

I suspect that the software will have to be authorized for the new unit. I'm not sure if Garmin will allow you to use MapSource with 2 different units. I couldn't find any info on their site about that. That would be a bummer if you can't, because I don't want to buy MapSource again.

·
Registered
296 Posts
After a really quick check of Garmin's website, it looks like the 60 uses City Select, and the 276 uses City Navigator. Both mapsets are basically the same, though there is more detail in CN.

If you got the 60 new, there should be a disc set with it, and should involve loading only the new maps into the copy of Mapsource that you currently have. My copy of mapsource was at one time seeing as many as four mapsets, loading only the one I wanted for a particular purpose.

Shouldn't be a big deal. there should be unlock codes for the 60, which will allow you to use those maps with the new gps. Unlock codes are unique for each GPS.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Soloquest,

You can use two GPS with each copy of MapSource...!

Call Garmin Tech Support 800-800-1020 and give them your USER code (that 7-digit alphanumeric code that came with the MapSource program) that you're using on the 276C and the serial number of the GPSMap 60 . The Tech will generate an unlock code for the 60. Enter that code into MapSource and you will be able to load map data into the 60.

Waypoints and routes will load into any GPS -- it's only the map data that will load only to "registered" GPSs.

What program are you using with the 276C -- City Select or City Navigator? I hope you have City Navigator since it replaces the discontinued City Select.

Good luck...!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
If you have an unlocked copy of MapSource on your computer, you should be able to view the unlock code via the "Utilities" button.

Click on "MapSource Help" then "Index" then type in "unlock" for directions.

You might be able to use this code to unlock the maps for the second GPS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts