GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the saddlebag latch or the catch be adjusted so that the catch engages sooner?

On my left saddlebag, the front latch is too tight and I must push very hard for it to engage. The rear latch catches very easy. Also the front of the left saddlebag seam almost touches the fixed part of the saddlebag because the latch catches late so it must be pushed way in.

So I have almost no gap in the front of the left saddlebag door and about 1/4" gap at the rear that seems to be normal when compared to the right saddle bag.

Have I confused everyone or does this make sense?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Can the saddlebag latch or the catch be adjusted so that the catch engages sooner?

On my left saddlebag, the front latch is too tight and I must push very hard for it to engage. The rear latch catches very easy. Also the front of the left saddlebag seam almost touches the fixed part of the saddlebag because the latch catches late so it must be pushed way in.

So I have almost no gap in the front of the left saddlebag door and about 1/4" gap at the rear that seems to be normal when compared to the right saddle bag.

Have I confused everyone or does this make sense?
They can be adjusted, the holes are oversize.

It's not easy for me to figure out how shoving the latch one way or another will be reflected in the outcome, I've just messed around until it was decent.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The hinges at the bottom can be moved around in oversize hole, too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do the U shaped brackets that go into the latch have ajustment room on them.

ie..loosen the U bracket and slide it either in or out to get the latch correct?

·
Vendor
21,888 Posts
Before you start making adjustments, see if the problem isn't in your technique. The bag lids have seals in them that have to compress to allow them to latch.

Instead of SLAMMING the lid, try putting two fingers on the outside of the door opposite each stricker, and then simply PUSH to get the seal to compress. You should be rewarded with a nice CLICK from each latch.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fred,

I gently push on the saddlebag and wait for the click from each latch. The problem is that the front latch has to be pushed further in and firmer to get it to latch. The seam between the door and the bag is almost touching at the front of the saddlebag and about 1/4" towards the back which seems to be the same as the right saddle bag that has a nice even seam 1/4" wide all the way down the door.

I was wondering if the U latch on the door can be loosened and slid out a little to engage the latch earlier and straighten the seam?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I was wondering if the U latch on the door can be loosened and slid out a little to engage the latch earlier and straighten the seam?
No, I don't think so. Maybe shimmed out with a washer?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I tried the following based on another post on this forum.

First, the U-latch is held in place by two Phillips head screws and, when loosened, the U-latch can be adjusted in/out.

The technique I learned from the forum was to remove one U-latch entirely, in your case the rear U-latch, and then adjust the front U-latch until it works closer to or as you want it to.

Then replace the rear U-latch and adjust as/if necessary.

My front U-latch was adjusted such that was unable to open the left saddlebag. This technique allowed me to resolve my problem which sounds similar to yours.

ride safe,

snappa

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I tried the following based on another post on this forum.

First, the U-latch is held in place by two Phillips head screws and, when loosened, the U-latch can be adjusted in/out.

The technique I learned from the forum was to remove one U-latch entirely, in your case the rear U-latch, and then adjust the front U-latch until it works closer to or as you want it to.

Then replace the rear U-latch and adjust as/if necessary.

My front U-latch was adjusted such that was unable to open the left saddlebag. This technique allowed me to resolve my problem which sounds similar to yours.

ride safe,

snappa
Would you be more specific about the screws that allow the u-latch to be adjusted? There's one screw right in front beside the u-latch and three screws inside underneath the top. Also, is this shown in the shop manual anywhere?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would you be more specific about the screws that allow the u-latch to be adjusted? There's one screw right in front beside the u-latch and three screws inside underneath the top. Also, is this shown in the shop manual anywhere?
I think he is referring to the male end of the latching mechanism on the pivot side of the saddlebag.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I think he is referring to the male end of the latching mechanism on the pivot side of the saddlebag.
Well, I'm confused, I guess. On my 05 the male latches (on the lid)are not adjustable in and out - they are held in place by two screws. It would appear that the female portion of the latch (on the bag itself) might be adjustable. I am unable to find anything about either one in the shop manual, however.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I was referring to the U-latch on the saddlebag door. On my 2008, there are only two screws holding each U-latch on the door. There is some play back-forth, side/side when the screws are loosened. With mine, I had to loosen the screws and pull the U-latch 'away' from the door and the tighten the screws. The net effect was that the U-latch then penetrated deeper into it's slot in the saddlebag placing less tension on the whole front latch mechanism.

ride safe

snappa

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was referring to the U-latch on the saddlebag door. On my 2008, there are only two screws holding each U-latch on the door. There is some play back-forth, side/side when the screws are loosened. With mine, I had to loosen the screws and pull the U-latch 'away' from the door and the tighten the screws. The net effect was that the U-latch then penetrated deeper into it's slot in the saddlebag placing less tension on the whole front latch mechanism.

ride safe

snappa
I tried that on my 06 with no luck. No adjustablility with my U latch.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My 08 "U-latches" are adjustable. Loosen them the screws quite abit then giggle the latches. Mine where kinda stuck to the door. But that didn't quite do it for me. I noticed the front part of the doors would kinda rub against the saddlebag causing the front latch hard to latch. What I did was loosen the door hinge mounts and bump the door forward abit. Door closes easily now.

To loosen the hinge open the saddlebag then look at the floor right next to the seal. There's two screws in front and back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts