GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little off the GL1800 topic but here it goes.

A friend of mine has a 96 GL1500. On a recent trip he lost the alternator and managed to get the bike back home by swapping batteries with another friend of ours. He had the alternator checked out and apparently it has a bad winding.

He installed another alternator belonged to an aquaintence of his and that too didn't seem to work.

He then installed a 3rd which showed the same result.

I checked the output of the 3rd alternator on the bike and it showed 14.2V but at the battery it shows 12.2

Upon further inspection I found the main fuse located alongside the battery to be blown. Even though this fuse was gone the bike started and ran normally when a full battery charge was available. I always thought that this main fuse supplied the entire electrical system for the bike and if gone would cause the bike to lose all power?
Even all the accessories worked with it gone.

Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I do not think the entire system is run thru that main fuse. The charging circuit is seperate from the starting circuit, otherwise the one main fuse would have to be large enough to carry the starter - likely 50 amps.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I would have to look it up but that fuse might be the one that seperates the alternator and the battery. Could be that the first bad alternator took out the fuse.......thats would explain why none of the other alternators "seemed" not to work.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mork said:
A little off the GL1800 topic but here it goes.

A friend of mine has a 96 GL1500. On a recent trip he lost the alternator and managed to get the bike back home by swapping batteries with another friend of ours. He had the alternator checked out and apparently it has a bad winding.

He installed another alternator belonged to an aquaintence of his and that too didn't seem to work.

He then installed a 3rd which showed the same result.

I checked the output of the 3rd alternator on the bike and it showed 14.2V but at the battery it shows 12.2

Upon further inspection I found the main fuse located alongside the battery to be blown. Even though this fuse was gone the bike started and ran normally when a full battery charge was available. I always thought that this main fuse supplied the entire electrical system for the bike and if gone would cause the bike to lose all power?
Even all the accessories worked with it gone.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Has he ohm'd out between the alternator output terminals and the battery+?
May be some high resistance in this path preventing proper recharge voltage to the battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts