GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at Hal's board which shows LED replacement lights for the turn signals, break lights, etc, etc. What Hal's board doesn't show, and I cannot find in the Honda tech manual, is what the model number is of each board.

I now how many I need of each light, but I don't know, for example, where the 7443's go, where the 1157's go, and where the 1156's go.

Can anyone clear this up and help me out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The GL1800 does not use 1157's or 1156's. I know that the owners manual says to use two different bulbs for the turn signals and brake lights but mine came from the factory with 7443's in all positions.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Motorcycle Boy - Thanks

Thanks for the info!

My Wing's in the shop getting the ECM and cooling system work and the manual's with the bike so I couldn't look there. I pulled out my trusty shop manual and didn't say a thing there either.

I now the Wing takes roughly 11 bulbs, not including the headlights. 6 are brake lights, 2 are rear turn signals, 2 front turn signals, 1 is the license plate.

I wonder if they are all 7443's.

I want to change them out to LED's so that I can toggle them on, with my other LED's for show, without killing the battery. Wonder if anyone's tried these things.

Again, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Re: Motorcycle Boy - Thanks

mcallery said:
... I want to change them out to LED's so that I can toggle them on, with my other LED's for show, without killing the battery. Wonder if anyone's tried these things.

Again, thanks for the info.
I doubt you'll get satisfactory results with this mod since the reflectors are designed to work with a filament lamp.

Let us know how it works out. :D

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LED's and reflectors

Yeah, I've heard quite a few comments about LED's and the reflectors, but, not knowing better, I would think it depends on how many LED's are on the bulb, their intensity, and their direction?

I'm thinking the stock 7443 is going to shine bright outwardly in all directions. If you put 9 leds on the head of a 7443 bulb, all shing outwardly as well, in theory, it should be the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think the rear GL1800 turn signals are not nearly bright enough. I have ridden behind a lot of 1800's and on a bright day when the brake lights are on it is easy to not see the turn signal is on. I can see it better than a car driver because I know where to look.
I bought rear bulbs from Show Chrome with eleven LED's in each bulb. Bench testing them with a twelve volt source and looking directly at them they are very bright. I put one in the bike and what a difference, they are much DIMMER than they were because the reflector isn't doing much. Save your money and look for another solution. :(

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone with positive LED Experience than???

This is really disappointing news. I'm hearing a little too much feedback to go out there and buy into a full set of replacement LED's for my bulbs which is something I really wanted to do.

In order to facilitate doing a light show, it would have been nice to move the bulbs to LED's as I could incorporate them, but if they don't function as well as regular, even with quality LED's, its going to defeat the purpose!

So, now I'm wondering, is there anyone who has used them and are happy? If so, can you tell me where you bought yours, or has everyone given up on this?

·
Registered
990 Posts
I would agree with the others on using the LED type bulbs on the GL1800. I have tried using the tail light LED bulbs on my old sport bike, but the illumination was not any where near the old OEM bulbs. The reason was the reflector is not designed to use the LED bulb and as a result the final result was less tail light. I still have the bulbs in my garage. Not cheap at $20 a bulb. Don't waste your money.

·
Registered
276 Posts
... want to change them out to LED's so that I can toggle them on, with my other LED's for show, without killing the battery. Wonder if anyone's tried these things.
Mike, check this out. I've got a single Orange LED shining in towards the driving light here. Naturally it's only visible with the driving light off. I use this as part of my "parking lights" on the GL1800's I have done some lighting on.

And this is a direct view from the front center...

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sharp

I must admit, it looks really sharp!

I think anyone, yourself included, who is trying to light a GL1800 these days is challenged, because so many do very similar things.

A lighting friend and I wanted to change out the bulbs on our bike to run LED's, thereby letting us turn the bike into the accessory mode and have our lights on, however, it seems like LED's for lighting is just backfiring.

Yours, however, looks very sharp!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts