GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone

I am new to the board and am still trying to decide if the Goldwing is going to work for me. I own a CBR1100xx but after riding an 1800gl at a local dealer I was amazed at how easy it is to ride. I was always put off by the size and weight but now I really am thinking about getting one. The only problem is if I invest the money I will probably sell my bike and only have the wing. So long story short is the wing too much bike for for use as an everyday ride? I would be using it to go to work to the store and for longer rides with my wife.
You folks seem to have alot of experience so any advice would be great.

·
Registered
188 Posts
a wing is a great bike for and everyday ride. i have had a wing now for 7 years or so and it has been an everyday ride for me...to work everyday for years..just a 15 mile ride but its a great ride..espically after work..a great way to unwind. :lol:

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Well let me put it this way i have owned the wing since march and put on 14,000 miles. My VTX has been out of the garage twice since i bought the wing. Wanna buy a VTX?

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
That's what's great about a Wing. It can wear many hats. A "jack of all trades" so to speak.

Long distance tourer, large sport bike with bags, tow vehicle, etc.

Just don't wear a lot of black leather and chains and use it to cruise biker bars. It could do it, but it would ruin it's self-esteem. :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
As far as street bikes, I've pretty much had every style of bike:

Cruiser
Sport
Sport tourer
Tourer
Standard
Cafe racer
Chopper

Now that I have my wing I'm selling the other bikes I still have. I'm a happy camper and really can't see myself needing anything else.

I commute in the nice weather and do quite a bit of in town riding as well as touring.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Used my '03a for to-and-from work (70 mile roundtrip in South Florida traffic) for three years, then retired up here to Dunnellon where I use it's successor ('06a) for to-and-from pt job (35 miles rt). 56,000 miles on the '03a before it's untimely end, and 11,000 on the '06a since April. Hauling groceries, pool salt, all kindsa stuff, and occasional longer recreational rides, like the upcoming lunch ride to Two Egg, Florida next week.

Ride long and safe..and without a doubt, the Wing is my first choice for transportation.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I find it a bit bulky for everyday heavy traffic. Also I don't recommend it for every day riding here in Phoenix in the Summer, particularly in stop and go. Gets a little warm in the gear. :D

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
If I only had one bike, I cannot imagine it being anything other than a wing. Some things it does not do well - climbing sand dunes, goat trails, hanging it off the front bumper - but for riding any distance on good roads, it is hard to beat. Reliable, tough, comfortable.

And it just isn't for the Geritol crowd anymore.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My wife doesn't ride much anymore. Actually I think it's been a year since she's been on the bike. Now and then I get to thinking, seein as I'm riding one up maybe I'd rather have a cruiser. Then I take the Wing for a ride. I always come home smiling and knowing that if I am going to have only one bike it's going to be a GL1800.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I use it as an everyday ride, weather permitting. The real problem is I live eight miles from work but it usually takes 20 to 60 miles to get there. I always come into work with a big smile on my face when I rode the wing. Makes it a little tough to get through the day as I spent too much time clock watching waiting to get back on and play in traffic. :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If I didn't have to drive a patrol car to work, I'd be on my Wing.

When I was younger I had bikes that were my only mode of transportation. None of them could hold a candle to the Wing.

Dep

·
Registered
54 Posts
The wing is great for the everyday rider.

If you are an everyday rider you will find yourself needing a place to put items you buy at the store etc.

You will find yourself in bad weather from time to time.

The wing is the best bike for this type of riding.

The only way I like to go to Wal Mart or Lowes is when I can zip right up to the entrance and park in a spot a car cannot get into.

If the wing is to big for you, it just means you are not riding it enough.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I'd have to say yes to the everyday bike question. Only worry would be same as a car. Let it warm up thouroughly before you shut her down. Like drive a minimum of 5 miles or so to cook any moisture out of the engine. Other than that I ride mine 35 miles each way to work everyday (except rain) year round. Almost 80k now and just as enjoyable as the day I got her.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I ride nearly 100 round trip each day to work. And then more to relax after I get home. Bought with 4722 miles in July, Have 12,600 now

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you can only have one bike and long distance touring is on your riding agenda, then definitly the GL1800 is your bike. I am only 5'8" and am extremly comfortable riding my 2004 around town both one up and two up. Prior to my wing I had a 2002 Yamaha Midnight Venture and on the open road it was a great bike, but it made me nervous spending a lot of time riding it around town. I highly recommend the GL1800 being your sole source of two wheeled enjoyment.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
I ride mine every day and love it. I had an HD Sportster for the first few months that I owned a Wing, thinking that the Wing would be my touring bike only. WRONG. It is so easy to handle that I never rode the Sporty. Sold it and put the money into a trailer.

·
Registered
439 Posts
It's a touring bike but does well at anything in between . Side bags will hold a 12 pack of coke with room to spare . The bike has many options to hal more gear if need . I don't think you will go wrong with a wing . Just My two cents

1 - 20 of 47 Posts