GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you change out the fifth gear (over drive) on an 1800,so that at 70 mph,your RPMs reading is at 2500 instead of 3300 we have now, too get an extra 5 to 10 mpg and some less wear and tear on the engine??

·
Registered
570 Posts
I do not know of a gear set avalable to replace mainshaft (35T) and the countershaft (24T). besides there is not much room to add teeth to the mainshaft 5th gear due to the crankcase gear housing area support boss. The most that some do is install a 70 series tire to the rear that may help some but it is limited in its effect on RPM drop.

Good luck and others may have some other options but most likely you will not find much. Some had thought of changing the final drive gearing but nothing I know off that is commerically available or if custom made that is affordable for the gain expected.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
As the owner of an 01 with 190k on the odo and a 07 with 63k on the odo, you will not be wearing out this engine running down the road at 70 MPH. Just not going to happen.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Can you change out the fifth gear (over drive) on an 1800,so that at 70 mph,your RPMs reading is at 2500 instead of 3300 we have now, too get an extra 5 to 10 mpg and some less wear and tear on the engine??
This subject has bounced around for years without a solution to my knowledge.
Like Ed Jenkins said about wearing out the engine "Just not going to happen"

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
u really think u could gain 5-10 MPG by changing the gear ratio ?

GOODLUCK !

i think u have quite an imagination

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Increase MPG 5-10 MPG??

I am no gearhead, but I don't see that working either, sorry.

I am pretty good at math... I don't see it calculating out that way. :popcorn:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Changing out 5th gear to run at lower rpms would help with gas mileage, but might lug the engine just a bit, but probably not.

The Wing engine is basically cabable of putting out a lot more horsepower, but Honda detuned it so it will last many miles. You can easily run faster than 70 and not wear out this engine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
there is a point where you will be give fuel to keep the same speed - i do agree your not going to wear it out- i pul my trailer 80 mpr now - how fast do we need to go - if you pull a trailer i think it is about wright-

·
Registered
570 Posts
Why not just change the counter-shaft sprocket? Tee Hee
That is really old school...:cool: But I would never trade driveshaft for chain drive on a touring bike... Shoot we would change countershaft sprockets and rear wheel sprockets on the old Cb750 K's all the time for what ever the customer wanted. Problem was it affected the entire shift range with the ratio change.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Not an exact match to your query but just thinking out loud. Now I wouldn't do it but one could change the final gear ratio with a taller tire. Some members on here have used a taller 70 series tire. This should effectively change the ratio in all gears however. Also I would think you would take an overall acceleration hit and might even negatively influence/change your rake and handling to a degree with a higher rearend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts