GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out this afternoon to wax the front of my GW trike. While waxing the nose, I discovered that the clips that hold the top nose piece had been broken - one seems to be broken off in one of the holes (had to have been done during windshield install by local shop and I really don't think they will be much help $ in fixing this). I had thought I heard a slight rattling sound but just put it off as normal wear and tear. Can this be fixed without replacing the whole nose or do I just buy a nose bra to hold it in place? I have the Baker mirror and side wings - would that be a problem? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Can you post some pictures of the damage?

There are several clips up there, all of them can be fixed, but depending on where they are (what's on the other side of the clip) the fix can be cheap or outrageously expensive.

You can go here http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_select.asp to identify the part. Once you get to the proper fiche, I believe you'll want to select the "Windshield" parts map.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't get in close enough for a good photo but I will describe the location as best I can - terminology may not be correct but hopefully you guys can better understand what I am talking about. The windshield (nose) fairing has two pegs on the inside - between the headlights - that snap into two rubber gromets - holding the fairing in place. They have broken off the pegs (one is in the hole) and tried to glue it in place. Can it be fixed? Where can I buy a new windshield (nose??) fairing for a 2005 yellow - or should I buy nose bra work to hold it in place - after I give the guy a fit for #1 breaking the darn thing and #2 trying to cover it up and not telling me?

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
First, yes, you can repair them. I think epoxy glue will hold it together, although I have not used it. But even if the piece is missing, Marine Tex or JB Weld will hold and even mold a new one if you need. Another good shot would be someone who has replaced theirs with the chrome one may have the old one laying around. But I would fix it before I hung a bra on the front.

I assume this is the pins you are talking about.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If it is those pins mentioned above between the headlights and they are still in good condition. I would go to my local Lowes or Home depot and get a small can of ABS cement from the plumbing department. Cost is about $2.50 for an 8 ounce can. Glue it/them back on and reinforce with JB Weld or other epoxy. Worked well for my rear front fender.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are broken off - one is broke off in the hole, the second one is gone, there isn't even a little piece left on the nose and they have put glue on the rubber grommets to try to hold the nose in place - I am past the point of being angry. I can't believe they would break it like that and try to hide it and I KNOW they will deny breaking it. Did they think the glue would hold forever (I would never take the nose off myself) or that I wouldn't notice it when and if it did?

If it can't be fixed - which I don't have a clue that it can be - where can I find another yellow nose piece.

I know I could let them glue it back in place and cover the nose with a nose bra to keep it in place or replace it with one of those silver nose garnish pieces (which I don't care for).

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
If ? I've got the correct number, a new replacement would cost you around $300.00. They list a few of them , I believe the differant numbers would probably be for differant colors. Unless you can find one off of a wreck I think you are looking at a new one. The nose piece is "Not" hard to install. Sorry about your problems. I think you might want to find another dealer........ :(

This link will take you to the Honda parts area, just use the drop down windows to select your catagory. You might not like the chrome garnish ? But it's a whole lot cheaper.

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Give your dealer a chance to make good on his employee's blunder. If he dosen't want to make it right then its time to get mad.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
MotorcycleBoy said:
If it is those pins mentioned above between the headlights and they are still in good condition. I would go to my local Lowes or Home depot and get a small can of ABS cement from the plumbing department. Cost is about $2.50 for an 8 ounce can. Glue it/them back on and reinforce with JB Weld or other epoxy. Worked well for my rear front fender.
this will work

being a pacific coast board member for a long time, this plastic fix was a common thread

1 - 11 of 11 Posts