GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just asking. I know most of you will just say get a seperate one. Just wondering if you could get one is all. Thanks Jer

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Yep... sure can.

But you are talking in the neighborhood of $3000+ in parts alone, from Mother Honda, by the time it's all said and done. This would include include a new display console, wiring harnesses, fairing panel controls, left handlebar controls, and the GPS unit itself. That doesn't include Labor costs, or your own time to put it all together.

It truly is better to just buy a nice zumo and enjoy the extra cash in your pocket, or sell your wing and get a one with Navi.

That said... to this day... I only ever use my onboard navi for scouting "curves" ahead. I do all my primary navigation on my zumo.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
​Get a Zumo 665 and you will have Bluetooth connectivity, XM Radio, and the best GPS $$$ can buy!

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Honda NAV as been said is very expensive. My experience with two is they are not worth the money. As others have said, get either a Zumo 660 or 665.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
​Get a Zumo 665 and you will have Bluetooth connectivity, XM Radio, and the best GPS $$$ can buy!
:agree: I have the zumo 665 as primary and a Tom TOM as backup on my iron butt rides

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Yes, it can be done if you have enough money. But it won't be easy, and you'll probably have to make your own wire harness.

As a side note, if you go looking at the Honda Nav unit, you'll notice something interesting. Take a look at the prices of the Nav for the below model years.

2009 - $378.24
2012 - $3,355.80

In 2012 Honda added the ability to load routes into the GPS. It also appears you could take the Nav unit out of a 2012 and it would plug right in and work in a 2009. So Honda raised the price on the replacement Nav unit so high to prevent folks from upgrading their bikes so they could load routes in them, but instead have to buy a new bike to get that feature.

The real sad part of this, is the poor guy who has something go wrong with his 2012 Nav unit after the bike is out of warranty, and has to pay $3,355 for a new one.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Yes, it can be done if you have enough money. But it won't be easy, and you'll probably have to make your own wire harness.

As a side note, if you go looking at the Honda Nav unit, you'll notice something interesting. Take a look at the prices of the Nav for the below model years.

2009 - $378.24
2012 - $3,355.80

In 2012 Honda added the ability to load routes into the GPS. It also appears you could take the Nav unit out of a 2012 and it would plug right in and work in a 2009. So Honda raised the price on the replacement Nav unit so high to prevent folks from upgrading their bikes so they could load routes in them, but instead have to buy a new bike to get that feature.

The real sad part of this, is the poor guy who has something go wrong with his 2012 Nav unit after the bike is out of warranty, and has to pay $3,355 for a new one.
Just one more reason there are no 100% Jap imports in my future!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I just adjusted the cruise on a 2012 level 1 and there were two connectors by the right radiator unused except one had a jumper on it, I assume were for the Nav unit. I was surprised the female connectors didn't have caps to cover the pins.
Lyle:shrug:

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
HDL lists the price at $2,677. Still way too much money. Perhaps Garmin would have a repair option. And by the time the NAV unit fails, maybe the price will be more reasonable.

While it may be nice and pretty to have Nav unit integrated into the bike, it ain't anywhere $3G+ pretty. A few $100s for an aftermarket and a mount and more money for gas.

Instead of adding the Nav to a level1, why not just invest in the higher level from the get-go? You would probably also pick up the ABS (easy $2G) and be about the same money, if not less money. And all covered by warranty.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
I gladly paid the three grand not to have anything like an after market GPS hanging off my bars.

The way I see it,

The Wing is supposedly the most "luxurious" Touring motorcycle in the World, why would I ever strap anything to the bars that did not belong there.

I not only hate the look, but through my eyes it makes it look like something crucial was missing and I had to improvise.

I know I see certain things differently than most, but it's me, picky picky picky. :lol:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
i agree

I gladly paid the three grand not to have anything like an after market GPS hanging off my bars.

The way I see it,

The Wing is supposedly the most "luxurious" Touring motorcycle in the World, why would I ever strap anything to the bars that did not belong there.

I not only hate the look, but through my eyes it makes it look like something crucial was missing and I had to improvise.

I know I see certain things differently than most, but it's me, picky picky picky. :lol:
one of my favorites on my 14 is the cup holder in the middle near gas tank, instead of the huge butler cup.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
I can't imagine anyone willfully installing a Honda NAVI. Buy a Zumo and you will save $2500 and get a FAR superior unit.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Yes you can . . . . but why?

I have a level 4 (Air Bag) so it has the Honda GPS. My old Garmin 220 is far more functional than the one Honda puts on our Goldwings. If you need/want a really nice GPS just get one of the Garmin GPS's that are made for motorcycles. They can be a bit spendy $400 - $800 (list prices) but they will be far more useful than what Honda provides and if/when you sell the bike you can take it with you. See the link below to Garmin's Web Site for Motorcycle GPS's.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnTheRoad-cMotorcycles-p1.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts