GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks. I'm new to the forum and have been riding an '02 GL1800 ABS for over the last 80,000 miles (almost 100,000 on the clock) and I'm thinking about the newest generation Wing. I've read a lot of the posts comparing the new bike to the last generation and this is interesting to me. My current bike is as comfortable and useful as I can make it (highway bars, Ultimate seat, Garmin GPS, floor boards, etc.). The reason for the move to the new bike for me is the weight. I'm 68 years old, around 180 lbs, and 5'8" (and getting shorter by the day!!) and I find that slow maneuvering or less than good road surfaces are starting to become a chore. Can the weight reduction of the new generation be felt? By the way, I ride about 300 miles a week for pleasure and make at least one long trip (2000 miles round trip) a year. I haven't had the opportunity for a test ride yet, but I'm planning one in the near future. --Ralph

P.S. I used to be on this forum when I went by "Grey In Va".

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,543 Posts
Yes you can feel the weight loss as soon as you sit on the seat....its especially noticeable in slow speed situations and when making a tight U-turn...and this bike is so balanced and light feeling. This bike gives a very confidence inspiring ride. The weight loss is a very nice upgrade over the old model.

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Yep

prs

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm 5'9" at 160 lbs and in my early 70's. I had a 2012 with 55k on it, and was getting concerned that I was going to take out a hip or knee. When you got that bike a bit off center, the weight really became apparent. With the 2018 Tour I just never notice the weight. The balance of this bike is so well done that you think you are riding a much lighter machine. Additionally the lighter spring tension on the throttle and the lack of the clutch lever with the DCT are a welcome effect on hands that have a few more aches then they did 20 years ago. I have a little over 12k on this bike and have done one trip of 4000 miles and am planning a ride out to Seattle later this summer. I have absolutely no regrets about buying this bike.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hi Folks. I'm new to the forum and have been riding an '02 GL1800 ABS for over the last 80,000 miles (almost 100,000 on the clock) and I'm thinking about the newest generation Wing. I've read a lot of the posts comparing the new bike to the last generation and this is interesting to me. My current bike is as comfortable and useful as I can make it (highway bars, Ultimate seat, Garmin GPS, floor boards, etc.). The reason for the move to the new bike for me is the weight. I'm 68 years old, around 180 lbs, and 5'8" (and getting shorter by the day!!) and I find that slow maneuvering or less than good road surfaces are starting to become a chore. Can the weight reduction of the new generation be felt? By the way, I ride about 300 miles a week for pleasure and make at least one long trip (2000 miles round trip) a year. I haven't had the opportunity for a test ride yet, but I'm planning one in the near future. --Ralph

P.S. I used to be on this forum when I went by "Grey In Va".

I, like the others are senior to you. I'm about your size & weight except that I'm 76 years young. This is my 6th Gold Wing & by far the easiest to ride. As was mentioned it just seems to balance better than the earlier models & the DCT is the icing on the cake. I figured my 2013 was my last Wing. However, now I'm not sure this is even going to be my last Wing. All I can say is go for it - I doubt you will regret it. :serious: :smile2: :surprise:

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I went from a 2005 to 2018.
I liked the 2005.....I love the 2018....it is so much fun to ride.
The 100 lbs reduction in weight feels like so much more

I have been asked if I miss my '05....yes, I miss the extra weight, the poor handling (I did the full progressive suspension upgrade...and also rode a traxxion upgraded bike)

ride one, you will never want to go backwards

is it perfect? no,,,,not one bike is perfect for every person, but thanks Honda for producing a bike that I look forward to riding each day

·
Registered
301 Posts
As mentioned, this bike comes off the sidestand so quickly you have to be alert not to over-rotate. My GL1500 took two men and a small boy to get up on the center stand, this one comes up without effort.

Low speed balance and maneuvering? Marvelous. It could compete in Olympic figure skating and wind up on the podium.

As I've often noted, the only things this model has in common with previous generations is the name and badging. It's a wonder to behold.:wink2:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Not having ridden any other model GW I can't compare. However, the weight of this bike is about the same as my prior HD RoadKing. This one feels much lighter than the RK and rolls around the garage easier. So I've been really happy with how the bike feels.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Indeed the weight reduction is noticeable which makes the 1833 a MUCH more nimble bike to ride. Love it!

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Size reduction yes, weight reduction no.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Not an owner of a GL1833 but I can feel the difference in my 2006 when the gas tank is full vs. empty. So I believe people can feel the difference. However, the optional accessories I'd add would probably negate most of the weight reduction on the new model so it really doesn't mean anything to me. My biggest reduction in weight is coming from my waistline and that will be beneficial on either model. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
I echo others. Weight-reduction is VERY noticeable. BUT, the big improvement is the "narrowing" feel of the bike and the "lowering" feel of the weight. Honda has done a fantastic job of engineering the Wing to be more nimble. Mind you, this is still a very HEAVY motorcycle. Don't tip it sideways too far and expect to flip it back up like your old CB350. I find the new Wing much easier to handle at low speeds than my 2016 version and easier to maneuver when off the bike. Give it nice long test ride and perform some figure-8 slow-maneuvers using brake and throttle (and clutch if not testing the DCT version) You will find this new Wing easier and more precise-feeling. If you put your foot down you will feel a lighter pressure on your ankle and leg; the low-balance-point helps nicely at stoplights. My impressions. Have FUN! - Doug

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
you cant feel the weight reduction difference over the old wings?
When I am riding I just don't feel the weight of the bike.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I echo others. Weight-reduction is VERY noticeable. BUT, the big improvement is the "narrowing" feel of the bike and the "lowering" feel of the weight. Honda has done a fantastic job of engineering the Wing to be more nimble. Mind you, this is still a very HEAVY motorcycle. Don't tip it sideways too far and expect to flip it back up like your old CB350. I find the new Wing much easier to handle at low speeds than my 2016 version and easier to maneuver when off the bike. Give it nice long test ride and perform some figure-8 slow-maneuvers using brake and throttle (and clutch if not testing the DCT version) You will find this new Wing easier and more precise-feeling. If you put your foot down you will feel a lighter pressure on your ankle and leg; the low-balance-point helps nicely at stoplights. My impressions. Have FUN! - Doug
NIMBLE thats a good word to describe it.

:a13:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, Guys, for all the input and inspiration... many of the responses are from folks a "few" years my senior adding to the argument that it's a worthwhile long-term purchase! I just didn't want to get "blinded by the bling" of a new bike. --Ralph

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I think weight has some advantages as well as some disadvantages. Nothing better than a big heavy bike when rolling down the open road in my opinion. I’ve had 600 lb class bikes and really feel they are too light for interstates and the open road.

There’s more to life than jack rabbit starts and parking lot maneuvers around plastic cones.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts