GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In other words, can you take say, the black engine side covers on the 2012 GW and have them chromed some where? If so does anyone know of a place to get this done?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I believe theres a powder coating for crome you would need to find someone who does powder coatings.:doorag:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe theres a powder coating for crome you would need to find someone who does powder coatings.:doorag:
Can plastic be powder coated in that case?
I was under the impression that there was a lot of heat involved in the powder coating process, I know nothing about nothing when it comes to either chroming or powder coating.:shrug:

S

·
0 Posts
Yes you can get it chromed - all the auto and truck grills are plastic and it is all chrome plated. 99% of the chrome on the wing is also already chrome plated plastic.

Talk to your local autobody shops (ABRA) as they send out parts to be re-chromed all the time.

Rather than do a list - just google - chrome plating plastic parts
You will find out everything you need to know. :cool:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
yes, it's a process called hydrographic printing. There are dozens and dozens of color and pattern options, including chrome, carbon fiber, etc. It's pretty durable when all done.

Google hydrographic printing to find a shop in your area. If not, I'm sure you could ship parts to whereever. Here's on in the Denver area....

Galley Graphics

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
John.I guess you haven't taken off the engine covers yet?. When you do you'll see how flimsey they are.

Plastic chrome parts are "Hard Plastic" that doesn't bend easily.I'm not sure you can have the 12 black plastic panels chromed.

I'm thinking no one would take the chance seeing Chrome is harder that the sub material (plastic) and would crack when you took off or put on either cover for whatever reason.

But it doesn't cost anything to talk to a Plastic chromer to see what they say when they inspect the plastic part to be chromed.

No one here has done it yet,So you'll only get guesses.

Here is two So/Ca places.the first one says they can chrome plastic.(i'd all and tell them what you got first)
The second is a local (to us) shop that don't have a web site to see all they do?.

http://www.classiccomponents.com/

Equaility Plating
8172 Center Street
La Mesa,CA
619-464-1515

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John.I guess you haven't taken off the engine covers yet?. When you do you'll see how flimsey they are.

Plastic chrome parts are "Hard Plastic" that doesn't bend easily.I'm not sure you can have the 12 black plastic panels chromed.

I'm thinking no one would take the chance seeing Chrome is harder that the sub material (plastic) and would crack when you took off or put on either cover for whatever reason.

But it doesn't cost anything to talk to a Plastic chromer to see what they say when they inspect the plastic part to be chromed.

No one here has done it yet,So you'll only get guesses.

Here is two So/Ca places.the first one says they can chrome plastic.(i'd all and tell them what you got first)
The second is a local (to us) shop that don't have a web site to see all they do?.

http://www.classiccomponents.com/

Equaility Plating
8172 Center Street
La Mesa,CA
619-464-1515
No I have not removed the engine covers, I assumed they were about the same as the 07 ones were as far as strength of the plastic is concerned. Sounds like I will have to waint and see what the after market people come up with.
I would think they would come up with all kinds of goodies for all the chrome lovers

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
The chroming of plastic is what makes it seem hard. Unplated plastic is flexible, depending on the size and design of the piece in question!
There may be new processes now but, when I worked for GM the plastic had to be Plating Grade ABS to accept the chrome plating process and have any chance at durability.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
The chroming of plastic is what makes it seem hard. Unplated plastic is flexible, depending on the size and design of the piece in question!
There may be new processes now but, when I worked for GM the plastic had to be Plating Grade ABS to accept the chrome plating process and have any chance at durability.

I've had the 2012 engine cover in my hand,and IT"S NOT the same thickness or composition as the 01-10 covers are.
Flimsey is what they are.

They even have a foam backing on them now to reduce engine noise.(at least the left side that I pulled off did!)

Take a chrome cover off and see how thick it is compared to the edges in this picture.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Rocky, I was not disputing anything you said! I was only further commenting that plastic is flexible before the plating process is completed.
Plating somewhat stiffens the material, no matter what thickness it starts out to be.
Give yourself a break, everone is not against you, all the time.
You know and impart more help and knowledge than most of us will ever learn. Just don't be so sensitive all the time.

·
Registered
610 Posts
the left side cover on my '02 has a foam pad on it from the factory as well..:popcorn:

·
Registered
334 Posts
The 2012 Wing is as cheap a build as it gets!!!

Now you are all starting to see the Honda light!!! I took a very long look at a 2012 Wing at my local Honda dealer. I was thinking the same thing, chrome the engine covers and have all other black panels color matched. WRONG!!!!!!!! The material Honda uses for these black panels is a very flimsy vinyl/plastic like material. It can't be chromed and it sure doesn't look like it could hold paint. CHEAP CRAP!!!!!!!! But on the other hand, there is not much chrome to keep clean other than the exhaust pipes and you don't have to worry about breaking the rear fender section, it's not hard plastic. While looking at the lower side bag panels and back fender, I could see mounting surface LED lighting though. At least detract from that STUPID light bar! I think I will wait to see what the next Wing will look like but something tells me the engine may get smaller on the next TRUE generation of Wings. Why I say this is because starting in 2013 even the Chevy Corvette motors are being downsized! :eek:4:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky, I was not disputing anything you said! I was only further commenting that plastic is flexible before the plating process is completed.
Plating somewhat stiffens the material, no matter what thickness it starts out to be.
Give yourself a break, everyone is not against you, all the time.
You know and impart more help and knowledge than most of us will ever learn. Just don't be so sensitive all the time.
You'd be sadly mistaken if you try and interpret what I am thinking.So don't even go there just to pound your chest..lol

My only point was to clarify the flexibility differences between the two covers.It has/had nothing to do with what the chroming process will or won't do in plating plastics..

By talking to plastic chromers in the past.They schooled me that in order for the plastic to be chromed it needs to be solid to start with or the chrome will crack when the part is installed or removed.
Soft flexible plastic that the 2012 black panels are constructed of are not or would be candidates for chroming.

Hope this helps everyone reading this to understand the differences between the old covers and what the new covers are made of.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Chrome

I would wait for the after market. Probably cheaper and they may even use more substantial material.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I wish that all the parts that are chrome on my 2010 Goldwing were not.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts