GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the purchase of a shoei Neotec helmet with a Sena 10U headset. The seller says that the battery only lasts 4 hours. I was wondering if you're able to replace the battery in the headset to allow for more listening time? Anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would suggest a you tube search , this will more than likely provide a instructional video and a reference for new battery , and other requirements

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would suggest a you tube search , this will more than likely provide a instructional video and a reference for new battery , and other requirements
Good thought. I wrote to Sena Tech support, but not sure if it will be replied to

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I am considering the purchase of a shoei Neotec helmet with a Sena 10U headset. The seller says that the battery only lasts 4 hours. I was wondering if you're able to replace the battery in the headset to allow for more listening time? Anyone have experience with this?
No you can't replace the battery and I don't think Sena will do it either. Worse case you can plug in a power pack with a short cord to your jacket pocket to extend the use time. That will also give you time to decide if you like the quirkiness of the product and the poor sound quality of Sena products.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No you can't replace the battery and I don't think Sena will do it either. Worse case you can plug in a power pack with a short cord to your jacket pocket to extend the use time. That will also give you time to decide if you like the quirkiness of the product and the poor sound quality of Sena products.
Thanks for your comment. Guessing you're not a fan :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am a Sena fan, and I just assumed they sell the battery separately since it has a connector on the end of its wires.
If they don't, then I am no longer a fan.
Check with Batterys+

·
Registered
91 Posts
See links below - Can be done - but doesn't look like a simple remove/replace.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Thanks for your comment. Guessing you're not a fan :)
I was a fan and put up with the inconsistent intercom functions and poor audio quality because that was the only option. When I bought my 2018 Sena was the groups go-to setup and it's what Honda recommended. Times and technology have changed. The market now has other options that are much better. Hind sight is always 20/20. My garage is full of those kind of lessons.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the SENA 10S. The speaker quality is crap compared to my old JM Elite ( and they were half the price of the SENA) but the JM intercom was no where near as good as the SENA.
So Far battery life on both has been longer than I can ride in a day. At least 10 hrs listening to music and using the intercom.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have the SENA SMH10, yeah it's old, that I've had for about six years. The battery life had dropped from 12hrs. to about 6hrs. I finally looked up on YouTube how to replace the battery. The hardest part was deciding which battery to use as a replacement. SENA doesn't replace the batteries, and doesn't tell you how to do it, either. When I communicated with them they actually told me to look it up on YouTube.

As for the 10U, I'd do the same thing. Look it up on YouTube, then decide if you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was a fan and put up with the inconsistent intercom functions and poor audio quality because that was the only option. When I bought my 2018 Sena was the groups go-to setup and it's what Honda recommended. Times and technology have changed. The market now has other options that are much better. Hind sight is always 20/20. My garage is full of those kind of lessons.
So that said, what would you recommend?

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I have the Sena head set and love it......for over ten seasons...... Although I only use it for phone talking situations, not for music

Ronnie

·
Registered
604 Posts
I 'was' a Sena fan, no more. Not only can you 'not' replace the battery, jumping through the Sena hoops to get a bettery replacement is agonizing, then after they do their magic, you get a battery that will again deteriorate in a couple months. What a hassle at a premium price.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I 'was' a Sena fan, no more. Not only can you 'not' replace the battery, jumping through the Sena hoops to get a bettery replacement is agonizing, then after they do their magic, you get a battery that will again deteriorate in a couple months. What a hassle at a premium price.
Interesting. That has not been my experience.

My batteries are almost a decade old and still last fine, and they're replaceable without going to Sena for anything.

What Sena unit do you have?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the 10R Sena unit. YOu can most certainly replace the battery on that particular one. Easy to do for it just unplugs. I have done it twice...upon getting replacement batteries from Amazon

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
OK, I give up:

Which Helmet Bluetooth units have REPLACEABLE batteries?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm not sure but I don't think the Sena 20S will work with power plugged into it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I 'm not riding, My Sena unit is plugged in to charge. That plug is plugged into a Timer in the garage which comes on at midnight for two hours. My two MP3 players are also plugged into the same and are always topped up and ready to go when I go. I also have the bike on a Battery Tender in the garage every time I park it. I can ride all day and my Sena never dies.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts