GL1800Riders Forums banner

Can you replace battery on Sena headset?

9K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  jhughes556 
#1 ·
I am considering the purchase of a shoei Neotec helmet with a Sena 10U headset. The seller says that the battery only lasts 4 hours. I was wondering if you're able to replace the battery in the headset to allow for more listening time? Anyone have experience with this?

#4 ·
No you can't replace the battery and I don't think Sena will do it either. Worse case you can plug in a power pack with a short cord to your jacket pocket to extend the use time. That will also give you time to decide if you like the quirkiness of the product and the poor sound quality of Sena products.

Reactions: RayS
#7 ·
See links below - Can be done - but doesn't look like a simple remove/replace.

#9 ·
I have the SENA 10S. The speaker quality is crap compared to my old JM Elite ( and they were half the price of the SENA) but the JM intercom was no where near as good as the SENA.
So Far battery life on both has been longer than I can ride in a day. At least 10 hrs listening to music and using the intercom.

#10 ·
I have the SENA SMH10, yeah it's old, that I've had for about six years. The battery life had dropped from 12hrs. to about 6hrs. I finally looked up on YouTube how to replace the battery. The hardest part was deciding which battery to use as a replacement. SENA doesn't replace the batteries, and doesn't tell you how to do it, either. When I communicated with them they actually told me to look it up on YouTube.

As for the 10U, I'd do the same thing. Look it up on YouTube, then decide if you can do it yourself.

#12 ·
I have the Sena head set and love it......for over ten seasons...... Although I only use it for phone talking situations, not for music

Ronnie

#14 ·
Interesting. That has not been my experience.

My batteries are almost a decade old and still last fine, and they're replaceable without going to Sena for anything.

What Sena unit do you have?

#20 ·
When I 'm not riding, My Sena unit is plugged in to charge. That plug is plugged into a Timer in the garage which comes on at midnight for two hours. My two MP3 players are also plugged into the same and are always topped up and ready to go when I go. I also have the bike on a Battery Tender in the garage every time I park it. I can ride all day and my Sena never dies.

#21 ·
I had a Cardo Freecom 1 and that thing did not work on two medium. You either had to put it on GPS or phone but it would not work on both simultaneously. I dumped it.

Does the higher end Cardo have replaceable batteries?

#32 ·
Yes, you can on eBay. The polarity is wrong but you can reverse the polarity by releasing the clips from the plug and re-installing them.

#24 ·
Someone brought this issue earlier. I just want to clarify it:

The Sena20 can be used while you have it connected to a power source...done it lots of times.
I now carry a batt pack and have it. Earlier times I have used the power source on a BMW

#25 ·
I've never had a problem with my Sena battery..It last all day, then I plug it into the charging cord...and my Sena is approx four/five yrs (seasons) old...

It's the jog wheel that I have my problem with.....It turns way too easy, so I have to keep turning it to the right volume...

Ronnie

Reactions: cycledude
#26 ·
Have 20s EVO for use on the Tenere , it’s 2 years old and so far the only battery issue has been if I forget to charge it. But the Sena can be frustrating to operate with gloves on, the volume gets accidentally turned way to easily, customer support is lousy , the range is supposed to be about a mile but I would say your very lucky to get 1/2 mile.
i highly prefer the corded J&M headset I use on the Goldwing and J&M customer support is excellent.

#27 · (Edited)
We have a pair if Sena SMH10s. Guessing 7-8 years old. Battery performance deteriorated a lot by year 3-4. Sena does not offer battery replacement. Did a little research and found batteries on eBay and a YouTube video.
DYI replacement and have been happy ever since.

Doing a little research on the 10U that the OP was asking about shows really poor battery life and difficult replacement.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#28 ·
We have a pair if Sena SMH10s. Guessing 7-8 years old. Battery performance deteriorated a lot by year 3-4. Sena does not offer battery replacement. Did a little research and found batteries on eBay and a YouTube video.
DYI replacement and have been happy ever since.

Doing a little research on the 10U that the OP was asking about shows really poor battery life and difficult replacement.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Well don't keep the secret to yourself brother: where is that Youtube and eBay link so I can look this up and follow your good lead? Thanks

#29 ·
Good luck with the hack battery replacement.

Be sure to update the firmware. IDK about the 10u, but in other models, the newer firmware pulls a lot less juice.

My riding buddy switched to Cardo (Bold?) recently. Good sound and works well with the Cardo mesh. She couldn't get audio multi-tasking to work (not sure if the device or the user was the issue there) at all. Cardo-Sena pairing is possible but unacceptable. Switched back to Sena. No complaints about quality or sound, just features. BTW, if anyone really cares about sound, noise isolating ear buds are the way to go, rather than helmet speakers.

#31 ·
We run the Cardo mesh in our group and usually have 15 bikes meshed. It does work good but I wish Cardo would put an on- off switch on the mic side. We have a heavy breather or if someone coughs, belches or farts everyone hears it. Sometimes we can get terrible wind noise from someone’s set and with a switch you could turn it off but still be able to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.