GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I understand cruisecontrol's attitude and questions. While I don't try to turn curvy roads into my own racetrack, just how slow can you go on some of these roads? I do understand about enjoying the scenery but I have been behind some riders/groups of riders where I am about to fall asleep!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
How to a Ride a Cruiser in the Twisties

This is how you do it. He even passes a Gold Wing.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Twice now, I've been on rides with cruiser-based baggers with me going the speed limit or below and the cruiser is STILL dragging floorboards and hanging back. No offense, but they were riding SO slowly that I was literally scared for them. I know the Wing has 40-degrees of lean and most baggers are more like 30-degrees of lean, but I was craaaaaawling along. I wasn't using, I would guess, 10-20 degrees of lean angle MAX. I just don't get it.

You guys that ride cruisers and Harley-Davidsons please explain this to me: How can a bike with 30-degrees of lean fail to ride the posted speed limit? I'm sure the riders are doing something wrong, but I don't know what. I am not writing to bash H-D. This literally makes no scientific sense and it scares me (for them) that this is so APPARENTLY irrational.

Please educate me.
Having done most of my riding thru the years on European motorcycles, I don't find much difference in riding GL1800s and traditional cruisers. Both have low seats and low pegs placed forward of where I am used to.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Really? very judgemental of you don't you think. Couldn't be any other possible explanation. the next corner I come up to Ill stop and think what would dupdyke do.....................
I have to admire the ability of anybody who lives in Kansas, to ride a Motorcycle.

While it is true they don't have many Curves, they sure know how to ride in the Wind, and dodge Tornados.

R & R if you are ever on I-70 around Wakeeney, and find a Speaker Grille, or my budddy's Flag Pole, how about sending me a PM. :lol::lol: It was a good thing that our Helmets had straps to hold them on, or we would have lost them also.

I have some friends with Harleys from the flat lands of S. Ga., that we meet every fall, and ride the Mtns. in North Ga., NC, & Tenn. They have never had a problem keeping up with our "Awsome Wings".

Maybe you just need to be more selective who you ride with. :roll:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think you're the last person I'd ever want to ride with, you scare me.
Jeez, Renter. You're already scared of me and we haven't even left the parking lot yet. :joke:

But seriously, I think you are missing the point. I was afraid for my friends' safety because they were scraping hard parts and about to fall down while we were riding the speed limit or below. That's not right. I was hoping to find something to say to them besides, "Dude, take an MSF class already."

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Jeez, Renter. You're already scared of me and we haven't even left the parking lot yet. :joke:

But seriously, I think you are missing the point. I was afraid for my friends' safety because they were scraping hard parts and about to fall down while we were riding the speed limit or below. That's not right. I was hoping to find something to say to them besides, "Dude, take an MSF class already."
As a "Friend" you should have suggested that to them. Or offered them some riding tips.

Too many people worry about hurting someones feelings, when sometime that person would actually like some feedback, but are just bashful about asking.

My wife has often told me that folks always know where they stand with me.
And, you CAN be diplomatic but still get your point across without hurting anybodys feelings.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You are probably right, Harry. I missed an opportunity by being afraid to speak up. For that I am sorry. Sadly, I was leading and going slow in the hope of showing them a good line and that the bikes could make it. I couldn't see exactly what they were doing wrong. Should have at least let them lead home.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I have ridden with slow guys on both Harleys and Wings....last year, we lost a guy in Harrison before we even got out of town...he as on a WIng.. But on that same ride, I had a guy on a HD Road Glide all over me in the twisties.

Another acquaintance rides an Ultra Classic......each and every ride I have ever been on with him, he has been the cause of himself and everybody who stayed behind him, to get separated from the group.

What do the slow guys have in common? They have been riding for years, and "you can't teach me chit"...

Of course, I live in Kansas....so apparently I can't ride for shyte either.

·
Registered
498 Posts
That's why I rarely ride with others...I just like to set my own pace & not worry about anybody else. There are a couple others that I ride with once in while...but we're all fairly aggressive riders & have similar skills & capabilities. 98% of the time...I ride solo.

·
Chard Member
13,052 Posts
I see a couple Street Glides in the pic you provided. They handle good from the factory.

You have rider issues or alterations to the bike issues!

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It's partly the bike.

As a former VTX 1300 (cruiser/bagger) rider, I have a little knowledge on this subject. The first time I rode a Wing, we were on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I remember thinking the group I was riding with had slowed down. The real difference was that I was on a much better-handling bike. It's simply the truth. I LOVED the VTX with all the chrome, etc., but the Wing is in a different class in terms of handling.

I bought the Wing and went back the next business day to have the CB installed. When lunch time came, the salesman loaned me my former VTX I had traded in to go eat lunch on. Riding the VTX, I felt like I had entered a time warp back to the 1950s. There is no comparison. --2W

·
Registered
10,847 Posts

If one is 'scraping the pegs' as some goldwing owners brag about doing, that person is limited by bike and/or his or her skill. Low slung bikes like many cruisers and goldwings are not engineered for canyon carving. They [cruisers] are however superior rides for parades and Interstate Highway touring[Goldwings].

Aint it great that we have options?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Twice now, I've been on rides with cruiser-based baggers with me going the speed limit or below and the cruiser is STILL dragging floorboards and hanging back. No offense, but they were riding SO slowly that I was literally scared for them. I know the Wing has 40-degrees of lean and most baggers are more like 30-degrees of lean, but I was craaaaaawling along. I wasn't using, I would guess, 10-20 degrees of lean angle MAX. I just don't get it.

You guys that ride cruisers and Harley-Davidsons please explain this to me: How can a bike with 30-degrees of lean fail to ride the posted speed limit? I'm sure the riders are doing something wrong, but I don't know what. I am not writing to bash H-D. This literally makes no scientific sense and it scares me (for them) that this is so APPARENTLY irrational.

Please educate me.
Its not the bike its the operator. Some shouldn't even own a bike, they are scared of it and don't know the bike limitations, which could lead to a fatality accident. My opinion.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Twice now, I've been on rides with cruiser-based baggers with me going the speed limit or below and the cruiser is STILL dragging floorboards and hanging back.

Please educate me.
Some folks ride below the speed limit because they are scared and don't really know how to ride. I have a buddy who use to have a sport bike until he crashed it. He then decided he wanted a Harley because he thought they are cool. I dread riding with the guy because he always rides below the speed limit and slows down to dangerous speeds anytime there is a turn. He really is a danger to himself and those around him and shouldn't be riding at all until he improves his skills. There is a huge difference between someone who just rides casually and enjoys what they are doing versus someone who is scared of the bike and the road.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
No, every ride is not a race, but when the bike or rider LITERALLY can't ride the speed limit that is not safe.
Its even more ignorant to ride faster than the posted limit on back road blind curves thinking your Ricky Rocket. Majority of people like to ride and enjoy the scenery, not see how much faster they are than someone else.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I just led a ride last Sunday, 14 bikes. I was the only Wing, the rest were baggers, one just like the red one in your picture, might even be the same person. 2 of them, I had rode with once, the rest, I had never ridden with, didn't know their riding skills or anything about them. No two way communication with any of the bikes. We did a lot of twisting and turning, sweepers and some straight but most of it was low speed limit (30 and 45 mph posted) back roads without a center line and low vehicle traffic. I knew I was not riding with the guys and gals I normally ride with from this site and was mentally prepared to spend the day with this group. I rode the speed limit or 5 over but we were out for a relaxing Sunday afternoon ride. The group did, in my opinion, really good together and "Ride your own ride" was what I had told them before we left. It was about 150 miles with 2 stops. It was a great day!! Today, I may go blow the dust off. scrape a peg or twor somewhere either alone or with someone I ride with on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Really? very judgemental of you don't you think. Couldn't be any other possible explanation. the next corner I come up to Ill stop and think what would dupdyke do.....................
Rick I have to agree with you. I pulled a trailer thru the gap at a fairly brisk pace and didn't cross the line. Maybe I had a bit of an advantage growing up in the mountains in West Virginia. I'm guessing the individual that made the comment never left the interstate when in Kansas.

·
Registered
852 Posts
It is not the bike- it is the rider (IMO)... whether its by choice or lack of skill. My VTX1800C (RIP) did not have near the lean clearance as my Wing or any other bike I ever owned, to the point of disappointing really. Until I learned the threshold of lean I could take I was constantly scraping & having to pull up in curves. When I added L&R Forward Controls it helped quite a bit. So while a cruiser/cruiser bagger will never be able to take twisties to the limit a Goldwing can be pushed to If the rider has skill & the want he can push the bagger enough to keep up with a Wing,simply because most can't /won't push a Wing to its limits (including me & I can push her pretty well IMO) unless you can ride with the skill of YellowWolf. :bow:

Living in South Louisiana I did not realize the ability of the Wing until I rode home 2 years ago in Northern Arkansas & took Scenic Hwy 7 from Eldorado, AR to Harrison, AR --- That was with stock suspension too-- eager to ride it again once I get Traxxionized this fall

There are only a few people I will ride with & thats because we know how each other ride so nobody gets left in the dust or unexpectedly cuts one of us off. A bunch of folks just getting together for a group ride & don't know each others riding style/habits... no thanks, I have had a few bad experiences from doing that in the past.

·
Registered
771 Posts
With the mods to my VTX 1800C suspension, I can perform just like the wing in twisties just with a lot more arm and upper body strength and ability.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
My wife and I was on our Yamaha Stratoliner behind a couple on a Goldwing who thought he would lose us on a river road a few years ago, we kept right up with him, he was very unfriendly at the Casey's when be both stopped for gas. Guess we hurt his ego...:lol:

21 - 40 of 90 Posts