GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
With the mods to my VTX 1800C suspension, I can perform just like the wing in twisties just with a lot more arm and upper body strength and ability.
I bet that is a blast. Mine had stock suspension. Actually less than stock since I had put KingPin lowering shocks on the rear. Looked great but hampered the handling ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
771 Posts
I bet that is a blast. Mine had stock suspension. Actually less than stock since I had put KingPin lowering shocks on the rear. Looked great but hampered the handling ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I enjoy the difference in the two. The VTX has Gold Wing progressives in the front with 2" fork extensions, and prog. 12.5" heavy duty rear shocks with 205-65-16 tire. World of difference from stock undersprung set-up. But handles like farm equipment compared to the wing with its upgrades.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
really? very judgemental of you don't you think. Couldn't be any other possible explanation. the next corner I come up to Ill stop and think what would dupdyke do................

Actually not judgemental at all I stopped to see if he needed help and told him he did a good job of riding it up out of the ditch and not loosing it completely or dumping it on the edge of the pavement.

It was his statement that well I guess us flatlanders need to remember about sharp curves. He trailered it from Kansas and had only put on about 20 miles before he made it to the twisties. He was a real nice guy and we lead him for a couple hundred miles and he got a lot better at following the line thru the curves and slowing going in and picking it up going thru the apex.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well it is like this. Some days I ride fast, some days I ride slow. It does not matter which bike I am on- either the Road Glide or my wing- it is all a matter of how far you turn the grip on the right. It is not just Harley, I have been held up by wings and BMWs while riding bikes. I have seen it every way, BMW holding up me on the wing, wings holding up other wings, etc, etc. I passed many a wing while on my glide and likewise been passed by many other bikes. It is not the bike-9 times out of 10 it is the rider.

bottom line, is some days I ride slow some days I ride fast.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I had a conversation on another forum not long ago on this topic.

The female author of a post about his very same topic wrote, "...I'm not referring to Sunday Drivers; drivers of cars. I am referring to motorcycle riders who obviously ride very little and are not confident enough in their riding skills to take what I would consider a moderately challenging road. Now certainly I subscribe to the phrase, "Ride your own ride." I do not begrudge any motorcycle rider for taking a road slowly. One must ride withing their skill level. Taking a road very slow could be an issue of comfort level, or a even just a choice to enjoy the scenery."

The amusing part of this, she and her husband are currently living on the road - riding their own bikes. She's only been riding for less than five years.

I think we're pointing out the very same riders to each other - those that are slow should yield when safe and prudent for those that aren't slow.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I really hate too say this as I really do "Love" the Harley, however, riding behind a group of Harleys is like riding behind a tour bus!! & No, this isn't the exception! it is the rule!, don't misunderstand me, I don't have to be carving up the highway, but come on!! they won't even pull over to let you around. most times I will find a place to stop, have a coffee, and repeat "I Love the Harley" "I Love the Harley" "I Love the Harley" "I Go% D%^# Harley!!!!! jmop
Me and some buddies were riding in Arkansas a couple of years ago, and came up behind a rather large group of Harleys. We were having to gear down just to keep from lugging our engines, and they would not give us a chance to pass. We weren't wanting to drag our pegs, but darn, we didn't want to be lulled to sleep either. I don't have a problem with anyone wanting to ride that slow, but at least have the courtesy to let others pass.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Harley = slow or Harley =inconsiderate

Me and some buddies were riding in Arkansas a couple of years ago, and came up behind a rather large group of Harleys. We were having to gear down just to keep from lugging our engines, and they would not give us a chance to pass. We weren't want to drag our pegs, but darn, we didn't want to be lulled to sleep either. I don't have a problem with anyone wanting to ride that slow, but at least have the courtesy to let others pass.
On a trip in the mountains in Colorado my son and I came upon a group of about 16 or 18 riders on Harleys. They were riding very close, in fact so close that we were reluctant to try to pass and have to filter in among them. They knew were back there and were wanting to pass, but they wouldn't do anything to permit it. We finally found a spot where we could get around the whole bunch. Also came upon another group, this time on a double lane road that they obviously owned, and they were riding in the passing lane to block us. Being very acomodating we passed them on the right.:shrug:

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Me and some buddies were riding in Arkansas a couple of years ago, and came up behind a rather large group of Harleys. We were having to gear down just to keep from lugging our engines, and they would not give us a chance to pass. We weren't wanting to drag our pegs, but darn, we didn't want to be lulled to sleep either. I don't have a problem with anyone wanting to ride that slow, but at least have the courtesy to let others pass.

"I don't have a problem with anyone wanting to ride that slow, but at least have the courtesy to let others pass."
Inconsiderate people like this are everywhere. They don't just ride one brand of M/C and they also drive cars; though those on motorcycle do tend to ride in packs, for some unfathomable reason.

·
Registered
957 Posts
"I don't have a problem with anyone wanting to ride that slow, but at least have the courtesy to let others pass."
Inconsiderate people like this are everywhere. They don't just ride one brand of M/C and they also drive cars; though those on motorcycle do tend to ride in packs, for some unfathomable reason.

True. Large groups should break up into smaller groups of five to six, and leave a gap so cars or other bikes can pass. We often have cage drivers passing us even when we're at the speed limit, and often they pass on the shoulder or cut in too closely for safety.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts

True. Large groups should break up into smaller groups of five to six, and leave a gap so cars or other bikes can pass. We often have cage drivers passing us even when we're at the speed limit, and often they pass on the shoulder or cut in too closely for safety.
Your policy is far better than most though I can't comprehend the notion of riding in packs. I think it's dangerous and avoid it like the plague.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
If the rider doesn't have the skills it doesn't matter what they are on, they will not stay up with a skilled rider.
If you think you are waiting for a cruiser on your wing try riding with a Concours 1400 and keeping up.
I have rode wings for over 26 years and 250,000 miles, then went to a Concours 1400, the wing was a TANK compared to the Connie.
My last 3 bikes were cruisers, a Shadow 1100, a VTX 1300 and now the best of them all a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600. Sure they do not have the ground clearance the wing does and the wing doesn't have the clearance the Connie does but I have no trouble running the same speed on mountain roads that I did on the wing. The floor boards will pivot so if the sound of scraping metal doesn't scare you then your fine!!

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
If the rider doesn't have the skills it doesn't matter what they are on, they will not stay up with a skilled rider.
If you think you are waiting for a cruiser on your wing try riding with a Concours 1400 and keeping up.
I have rode wings for over 26 years and 250,000 miles, then went to a Concours 1400, the wing was a TANK compared to the Connie.
My last 3 bikes were cruisers, a Shadow 1100, a VTX 1300 and now the best of them all a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600. Sure they do not have the ground clearance the wing does and the wing doesn't have the clearance the Connie does but I have no trouble running the same speed on mountain roads that I did on the wing. The floor boards will pivot so if the sound of scraping metal doesn't scare you then your fine!!
Good post. To compare different type bikes is like comparing apples and oranges. The Connie is one sweet machine but it isn't for everyone or intended to serve every purpose.

·
Registered
465 Posts
:roll:
really? very judgemental of you don't you think. Couldn't be any other possible explanation. the next corner I come up to Ill stop and think what would dupdyke do................

Actually not judgemental at all I stopped to see if he needed help and told him he did a good job of riding it up out of the ditch and not loosing it completely or dumping it on the edge of the pavement.

It was his statement that well I guess us flatlanders need to remember about sharp curves. He trailered it from Kansas and had only put on about 20 miles before he made it to the twisties. He was a real nice guy and we lead him for a couple hundred miles and he got a lot better at following the line thru the curves and slowing going in and picking it up going thru the apex.
I guess you forgot what u said "Followed a harley at deals gap and when he ran off the first strong curve I asked WTF then I saw the kansas plates and remembered flat land riders do not practice on good roads!"

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
A local cop at a motorcycle class here in North Carolina told me that most of the accidents at Deal's Gap are flat landers. He said they are usually from out of state, Florida, Kansas, Nebraska. They get on these roads and their heads explode. Hey, it's not statist if it's true!
:lol:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
We used to own a Suzuki Intruder 1500. Just because we got to the point of leaning to the point of scraping stuff didn't mean we hit the limit. It just meat that I had to lean a little bit more of my own body. I had the Intruder to ride in the Texas Hill Country and in the mountains of New Mexico and I use to ride often with the sport bike guys. They were usually young military and not familiar with the area. I would often distance them coming out of curves but if we got on freeways they wanted to open up their engines. It is not normal but that was the way it was.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Here in Minnesota we get to practice our left hand turns on the roundabouts!
Still lacking in my right hand turning capabilities.....

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
I have to admire the ability of anybody who lives in Kansas, to ride a Motorcycle.

While it is true they don't have many Curves, they sure know how to ride in the Wind, and dodge Tornados.

R & R if you are ever on I-70 around Wakeeney, and find a Speaker Grille, or my budddy's Flag Pole, how about sending me a PM. :lol::lol: It was a good thing that our Helmets had straps to hold them on, or we would have lost them also.

I have some friends with Harleys from the flat lands of S. Ga., that we meet every fall, and ride the Mtns. in North Ga., NC, & Tenn. They have never had a problem keeping up with our "Awsome Wings".

Maybe you just need to be more selective who you ride with. :roll:

Cracked me up.
:nojoke:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Harley's touring based bikes have a very good lean angle as I've had some and rode with others that would be hard for most people to keep up with and sound so beautiful while doing so.

Lots of cruisers have floor boards that limit their cornering ability and the rider has to deal with that. Lots of cruiser owners have track and superbikes at home in the garage also.

Haven't you ever taken a leisurely ride before? Some folks just want to take it easy to enjoy the 'smell of the roses' and the leader or road captain has to take into consideration the abilities of those following him.

Do you expect cruiser riders to be constantly checking their rear view mirrors for Goldwing rocket ships so they can quickly pull over and let you quickly pass? Sometimes it's not safe to pull over in certain areas, especially when riding in a group.

I've had lots of the 140-160 mph Superbikes and I just wonder how many times I've followed these Goldwing rocket ships and thought: "Man I wish they'd pull over and get that barge off the road!" Actually, I have rarely thought that since I've had so many different types of bikes and riding friends with different abilities and it takes all kinds.

By the way, 'Café racers' were/ are the "Bar hoppers" that some malign and classify with cruisers.

Sam:)

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Harley's touring based bikes have a very good lean angle as I've had some and rode with others that would be hard for most people to keep up with and sound so beautiful while doing so.

Lots of cruisers have floor boards that limit their cornering ability and the rider has to deal with that. Lots of cruiser owners have track and superbikes at home in the garage also.

Haven't you ever taken a leisurely ride before? Some folks just want to take it easy to enjoy the 'smell of the roses' and the leader or road captain has to take into consideration the abilities of those following him.

Do you expect cruiser riders to be constantly checking their rear view mirrors for Goldwing rocket ships so they can quickly pull over and let you quickly pass? Sometimes it's not safe to pull over in certain areas, especially when riding in a group.

I've had lots of the 140-160 mph Superbikes and I just wonder how many times I've followed these Goldwing rocket ships and thought: "Man I wish they'd pull over and get that barge off the road!" Actually, I have rarely thought that since I've had so many different types of bikes and riding friends with different abilities and it takes all kinds.

By the way, 'Café racers' were/ are the "Bar hoppers" that some malign and classify with cruisers.

Sam:)
"Goldwing rocket ships" LOL

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Can you ride a cruise quickly? Well now why not come over heah and we will go on a ride with my bud. Nam marine vet Harley has a 130 hp engine :) You will see him ride off and that's will be the last you see of his bike till the last stop. Or a valk has a blower? or a......... them new victorys will burn ya fast

41 - 60 of 90 Posts