GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me from my two test rides that 1st gear is REALLY REALLY short. Sorta like a "low" gear for just getting up and going when you're fully loaded and towing a trailer. Well in the trucks I've been in before (drove for a little bit with UPS and my buddy's dodge RAM 2500), and any other vehicles like this, that it's ok to start in second gear.

Also, on those two test rides, it was REALLY difficult for me to do slow-speed parking lot maneuvers in first gear, but seemed like it'd be easier for me to use second gear while using the clutch. Cause by the time I get to any speed to do a maneuver in first gear, the clutch is fully disengaged and then you have to deal with only the throttle hand. Tougher for me than just using the egagement point of the clutch and keeping the throttle as constant as possible.

So, can it be done?

Alexi

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
absolutely, I do it all the time while one up.

If TBB is with me (about 98% of the time) I use first to get rolling then jump to second asap.

You sure as heck can't hurt anything, the Transmission is virtually bulletproof (thats just my opinion) :lol:

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
the question is can you use first smoothly?

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
I use all 5 gears. Don't even think about shifting. If you want to start in 2nd it is OK. Don't lug the motor too much. I think many wingers shift too early and don't get the full benefit of the bikes acceleration.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Slow speed exercises (Parking Lot Practice) are much easier in second gear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the question is can you use first smoothly?
It was a definite "no" on the test ride, but I just shifted to second VERY quickly and left it in second while practicing u-turns and slow speed turns in the parking lot before taking it out. I figured it shouldn't be too bad starting in second. I'm just "iffy" on using first and trying to control it all via throttle hand in a parking lot while the handlbars are turned to the left (making that throttle a reach). I feel more comfortable using the clutch to control the bike. It's a snap on my FJR (which has a much longer 1st gear), but the GW seemed different.

Alexi

PS - Wow. 3 answers within MINUTES of my post. I'm liking this board more and more . . . and now for question two . . . (new post)

·
Registered
841 Posts
I use all five speeds as well. Just a little throttle control practice.... I use 2nd for parking lot practice

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
And just what are you saying about TBB and is she aware of this?:wrong:

Crap, it's amazing how I can get in trouble without trying:eek:4:
now were is that delete button

and I have not had a drop to drink ~~~~~~yet :confused:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
:flg:.

Dang it, I hate to agree with Yellow Wolf but I do. If you know how to ride, you know how to smoothly use the throttle and clutch in 1st gear. I do all my low speed manuevers in 1st gear and they are very smooth. Even in reverse I run the engine at 1100 RPM to keep plenty juice in the battery while backing.

And yes, you can take off in 2nd gear or even 5th gear.

If you are going to ride a Goldwing, learn how to do it !!

JMHO :cool:

:flg:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
all five to keep it alive. like to throttle control, works for me

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The advantage in starting out in 1st gears is in the case you are sitting at a light and an emergency occurs requiring you to move out of the way in a hurry. The acceleration in 1st gear might just save you in the case you hear tires squeeling behind you like I did one day.
:22yikes:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
When I do extremely slow speed riding, I use both the throttle and I feather the clutch. Throttle alone will create a jerking response. Also, use the rear brake for the slow speed stuff. To easy to get too much front brake and the bike will go down quickly.

Jerky throttle response comes from jerking the throttle !! Go out on a parking lot, put it in low gear, drive around the parking lot with only your right hand on the handle bar and learn to do it without being jerky, you can do it, I know, I learned how !! If I can learn, anyone can learn !!

If your going below idle speed, then you need to feather the clutch, but anything over 700 RPM can be done throttle alone !

The front brake works just fine for slow speed control, learn to pull, not jerk !!

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
i've tried it a few times and the 1800 wing can start out in any gear 1-5 without even touching the throttle

·
Registered
118 Posts
2nd gear

I also felt the same, about the sensitivity of first gear and also learned how to feather it, but since i have put 70 series tire on the back it does make for a smoother take of from stop, although it is much more difficult to take off from 2nd gear with the taller tire, but sometime when i am pointed in the down hill direction,, guess what.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

In my normal riding I skip gears also, I got from 1st to 3rd to 5th all the time, Maybe when those gears are wore out, I can use 2nd and 4th :lol:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts