GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...
I've never had a gps on a motorcycle before, not 100% sure I want one, so I don't want to jump right in and buy a real pricy one---so I was thinking to get by as cheap as possible for now, least until I see if I'll like it or not.

Would prefer to find one with lifetime maps, who knows, maybe I'll luck out and find a cheap one that will keep on working for awhile...

My 2004 came with a Ram mount, which I know nothing about. Appears to accept a 3" tall by 5" across unit. On the back it says "Ram" and "Nuvi". Assume this is a Garmin Nuvi...but with different sizes and models to pick from, I was hoping one of you guys might point me in the right direction for a cheap gps to start with that will work with this mount i have now...

I don't like driving in the rain, so I don't need a dedicated motorcycle gps, if I get caught in the rain I can cover it.

Looking forward to your thoughts, thank you...Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
My preference is for a refurbished Garmin 61. They're about $130 through Amazon. They're NOT waterproof! Mine gets put away if the conditions warrant. But at $130, should the worst occur, I'll not shed a tear. I can buy 3 or 4 of these before I come even remotely close to what a "dedicated" motorcycle GPS would set me back.

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have a number of cheapskate (I say that in only the most respectful manner :) ) friends who use inexpensive, simple GPSes intended for car use. They use RAM mounts and if they get caught in the rain, cover the GPS with a Ziploc bag. Easy peasy.

Do it. It's an inexpensive way to dip your toes into the GPS technology pool. If you decide you like the technology, you can transfer the 'trial' GPS to your car or do as some long distance riders do and run a pair of GPS units.

Tim

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Gps

I had a Garmin Dezl 760 for several years and I finally converted over to a Zumo 396 when they went on sale. I like several things about the Zumo.
1. I dropped it off the bike at 70 mph and it is still working fine. Most people would never know it was dropped, let alone at highway speed.
2. I really appreciate being able to easily remove it from the bike to add routes.
3. I use a bluetooth headset and it pairs with the headset easily.
4. The adventure routing is really kind of fun from time to time.
5. It is useful to be to be able to turn off recalculation on my route.
6. The GPS is easily visible in bright sunlight.

I have kicked myself repeatedly for not getting a Zumo when I first started riding a Goldwing. Lots of people don't think the Zumo is worth it, but I disagree.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
That looks like the same RAM mount that the PO of my bike installed, he left the GPS and the cabling with the bike, it is not water proof, but has gotten wet many times and still works just fine, I try to cover it but often I just let it go, I do have a sun visor over it so it is protected a bit.

The GPS is a Garmin NUVI 765T, it has Bluetooth so I can receive phone calls from my I phone, I can hear directions in my headset, and has a port for a SIM card so I can store all the maps and routes I want. It started to get a bit squirrelly on my last long trip, figured it was just old and tried of getting wet, so I bought a replacement just in case, a used one from Ebay was about $35.00, but I did have to buy lifetime maps for it from Garmin, I think that was $80.00

The original straightened it self out on the trip, so it is still on the bike, I did open it this week end to see what sort of battery I needed and to see if it was suffering from getting wet. Well it looked brand new inside no signs of water intrusion. Since the bike is all prewired for this model, I am staying with it.

Reactions: mtj58
1 - 9 of 9 Posts