GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading up to Mt. Shasta area (Russell Day Seats). Coming in from Bakersfield...then up to Modesto,... to Mt. Shasta. Would like to see Golden Gate Bridge and ride some of Us-1. BUT what can I expect as far as traffic in those areas? I will hit Bakersfield Sunday night. Head out monday morning for Mt. Shasta....WHAT SHOULD I DO TO KEEP MYSELF OUT OF THE GRIDLOCK!!
Thanks in advance.
dave

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Well for one, stay off of I-5. The last time I drove up to San Jose, I-5 was tractor trailer grid loc from LA to the SF cut off. So you might want to run 99 up and then cut over. Then stay out of the city area from about 3PM to 7PM....can we say commute :shock: Have a great trip...beautiful country...used to live just south of Mt Shasta

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Dave - I'm a little puzzled about the exact route you're intending to do from Bakersfield to Russell's. If time permits, then rather than taking Hwy 99 then over to Interstate 5 and up to Russell's, you could head directly over to the coast and ride up Hwy 1 all the way up the entire coast, then just below Fortuna catch Hwy 36 all the way east to Cottonwood, and then up to Shasta City and Russell's. (Another Option which is possible is midway on Hwy 36 catch Hwy 3 (another fantastic road) up to Hwy 299 (another fantastic road (repeat) and over to Redding.

Hwy 1 is an incredible motorcycle road and well worth the time and effort to go up it, the last section from Fort Bragg to Leggett is some of the twistiest roads you'll find anywhere and great fun on an GL1800. Hwy 36 is considered by many (including myself) to be the finest motorcycle road in the entire state and is 133 miles of solid fun (actually it will rival any road in the country)!

To give you some perspectives:

Bakersfield direct to San Luis Obispoe - 136 miles
San Luis Obispoe to Golden Gate Bridge (on Hwy 1) - 247 miles
Gold Gate Bridge up Hwy 1 to Leggett and Hwy 101 - 216 miles
Leggett to Hwy 36 turnoff - 73 miles
Hwy 36 to Cottonwood - 133 miles
Cottonwood to Russells - 24 miles = 829 miles of fantastic fun!!!

If you do the Hwy 3 & Hwy 299 turnoff - the total mileage is 825 but equally fun!!!

Of course the other option is Bakersfield directly to Russell's via Hwy 99 and I-5 and that's 444 miles of some of the most boring roads you can imagine.

I would allow at least 2 "full" days to do the coast run since it's got a lot of great twists & turns plus your speed will vary to the road, but the scenery is some of the most fantastic you'll ever travel. Traffic will vary, but heading out on Monday shouldn't be a problem anywhere but close to the GG Bridge and I wouldn't worry much about it quite honestly for the times you'll be riding there.

Please take the time and go the coast and the other roads, you'll really appreciate it. Hope you like it, it's some of my ALL TIME favorite roads!

DaleC

·
Registered
824 Posts
Dale is right, but once on Hwy 1 up north, do not, i repeat DO NOT get caught on it after dark. Scariest road I have ever ridden! Major drop off on your left, (can you spell cliff side?) no guard rail, deer, no traffic (no one else was stupid enough to be out there after dark). Kept thinking that if I went off the road that the only thing to find me for days, would be the critters :!: Other than that, Dale nailed it!

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Dave, there are 3 ways to get across to the coast from Bakersfield.

1. Stay on 58, which you will be on coming into Bakersfield, go thru Buttonwillow and continue on to Atascadero where you can pick up hwy 1 North.
2. Go South on 99 to the juction with 5 and pick up 166 which goes over to Santa Maria and Hwy 1. Have never been on this one, but have a friend down there who can provide info. if you are interested in that one.
3. Go North on 99 to 46 which will take you thru Wasco and over to Paso Robles and Hwy 1. Major East / West access road.

Hearst Castle in San Simeon is a very interesting place just a little North of Morro Bay. Operated by the state and worth a look see.

Don't try to get on 17 mile drive in Monterey, NO BIKES ALLOWED.

Hwy 1 joins 280 just South of SF. They become 19 th Ave. and will take you thru a small part of Golden Gate park and onto the GG bridge. The best overlook is at the North end of the bridge. Avoid the center lane on the bridge. Try to get thru this area by 2pm if you can. 19 th Ave is 3 lanes with a lot of traffic lights. Getting in sync at 35 mph will get you thru a lot of them. Left lane is OK as there are no left turns allowed. Get into the RH or center lane when you enter the park as the left lane goes away at the next light.

You can pick up Hwy 1 off of 101 in Mill Valley at the bottom of the hill you will go over after the bridge. The signs will direct you to Stinson Beach. There's a nice resturant in Olema also in Bodega Bay.

Do plan to take the avenue of the giants when you get into redwood country.

Hwy 36 is one great road and not heavily traveled. You could, as has been suggested, take 3 North to 299 and then on East to Redding. Or take 3 North to 299 and West to Weaverville where you can pick up 3 again that will take you North to I 5 a little North of Weed and then South to Russel Day Long Saddles.

Hwy 299, Eureka to Redding, is a nice 3 hour ride along the Trinity River.

Have a great ride.

Ted

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just a thought on HWY 1 from Stinson Beach to Olema the county mounty just loves to radar and ticket bikers that twist throttle on those beautiful straight streches between those twisties.

I got lucky, I was doing about 60 mph in a 40 zone out in the country just before Olema, saw a white car parked at the top of the rise. If it hadn't been for 2 bobtail delivery trucks that blocked his radar my goose would have been cooked. Just love those ABS brakes.

It will be hard, but resist the impulse to fly down those beautiful roads. Take your time to look around your going at the best time of the year, everything is green and the views of the Pacific are spellbinding. Safe journey.

Also please either post or send me a personal note on how the new seat is, and what your eperience with Russels is. I plan to have one made also and would like to know what expect.

Buck Yellow Wing

:lol: 8) :lol: :goflag: :yw1: :22yikes:

·
Registered
759 Posts
well..another option is...I have been to russell three times...I live in so. calif. each time I used I-5 all the way. Had no problems...and that is leaving from orange county. Now, I will admit, I left very early in the morning. Truck traffic has its' moments on the grapevine part of I-5 but from your intended route, you wont be using that. The flats of the San Joaquin valley will not pose any problems for you per se with truck traffic. As far as San Francisco is concerned..best answer I have for you....be prepared for city stop and go traffic. There is no direct interstate that runs through S.F. It is stop lights block after block in the city itself. Takes a good bit of time to navigate. When I did the all bridges run, I hated the frisco part. also keep in mind, highway one is very slow overall. and twisty. but gorgeous during the day if the fog dont getcha. Saw a rider down in a turn. he slid off the highway due to sand on the turn. Keep ur eyes open!!!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Take it from one who lives in Bakersfield, the best route from Bakersfield to the 1 or 101 is SR58 through Buttonwillow, McKittrick, and over the hill. It's quite twisty at the East end, but wide open in between the ranges going across the plains. SR46 is probably the most direct and fastest way, but it is very heavily traveled by less than genius drivers. There is also about 30 miles between SR41 and 101 that is a double fine zone with a 55 mph speed zone. ZZZZZ. There are also a huge number of head on crashes on that road. I've done it on a bike, but it's not much fun. SR166 is ok, but about 20 miles each way out of route, also heavily patrolled. Hwy 58 is pretty much deserted except local traffic because the pass isn't much fun in a car due to the curves and 15 mph corners. :crazy: If you're interested in maybe meeting, pm me, we'll try to set up a time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys....thanks a bunch for all the good information...this is exactly the reason why THIS board is the best.
Thanks again.
dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts